Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Sam’s confidence is gone that’s the problem here. He needs to be completely rebuilt. It’s possible with a new coaching staff but it’s usually a Hail Mary at best. I only really recall Alex Smith going from Bust to a solid starting nfl qb on the same team. Harbaugh still drafted Kap and rebuilt Smith to later trade him to KC. Smith than started for KC to be traded to Washington because they drafted Mahomes...

So my point is, maybe we keep Darnold and draft Wilson. Maybe a starter goes down on a contender than all of a sudden they give you a bounty of picks for Sam like Philly did with Bradford

NCJetsfan and Jets79 like this.
  2. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

i share that opinion...it was a great throw no question. Love it.

still, absolutely NO comparison doing it without pads with no defense on a scripted throw that was undoubtedly practiced a ton of times.

Sam did it in a real game against an NFL defense after eluding a rush.

come on...no comparison at all

I agree that with Sam, that Ghosts game was the turning point. It’s in his head. He has the physical ability. He has the arm. It’s a mental thing at this point.

that being said, I have no idea if a new coaching staff with a new system would be enough to fix it....

PJ4Ever, Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Seems unlikely at this point, no? You think he'd still be on the roster if a first + was offered?

4. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I think this could be the outcome and honestly it’s not that bad of an idea. If it’s true we can only get a 3rd rounder for him now than it’s better to keep him. Let Wilson develop and have a healthy competition at QB.
    Who knows if a starter goes down within the first few weeks of the season a team might splurge on Darnold like Philly with Sam Bradford

joelip and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets aren't going to get anything of real value for Sam imo. They should have just made a clean break, given Sam an opportunity to catch on with another team, and signed CJ Beathard since he knows the offense already. It's just kept Sam tied up, has kept the fanbase embroiled in a dispute, and been a waste of time and energy. IMO if JD truly likes Sam, he should have traded Sam to the team that both gave the Jets the best compensation and that would give Sam the best opportunity to succeed. If he trades him during the draft or at some point in TC or preseason, it's not giving Sam a good opportunity to succeed, and it's just wasting time that the Jets should be putting into the rookie they draft and Morgan.

If JD isn't planning on taking a QB, then he really has royally screwed up and should be fired.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

No, it's not the end of the world, but there are costs. One, there's the cost of time, energy and snaps that Sam will get, that the rookie, Morgan, and whomever the veteran is that they wind up bringing in would have received. It sets the Jets back, and hurts both the rookie and Morgan. If JD truly likes Sam and feels badly about how he has been treated here, then imo he should do all he can to help Sam resurrect his career somewhere else. I would have already traded Sam to the team that gave him the best opportunity in which to succeed (best coaching, a situation where he could sit for a year behind a quality older veteran QB, a solid OL, and good skill position players) as long as its offer was on par with the other offers. I understand his holding onto him because he's cheap and they like having him around, he's not getting what he wants in return, and thinks they could possibly trade Sam for more later. Doing the latter will put the Jets in a bind however.

At this point, I don't think there's any plan to trade Sam. I think the plan is either to roll with Sam or keep him as the short-term starter/insurance for the rookie, and then let him walk at the end of the season. I think that if they think they can resurrect Sam's career with him starting this season that they're as delusional as some of our fanbase is.

7. NCJetsfan

You are wrong imo. Trying to build around Sam would have been a colossal mistake.

matt robinson 17 and Borat like this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Geno hired a massage over snapchat and then tried to touch her with his penis. She punched him in the face and broke his jaw. Something like that...I get things mixed up sometimes!

boozer32 likes this.
  9. Footballgod214

I don't think JD would part with Sam until after he decided what he's doing in the draft. JD wanted to see all relevant prodays before doing anything. After Fields day, JD may be good on drafting Zack/Fields and is ok parting with Sam at that point. But if JD is still contemplating a trade down, no way he parts with Sam before the draft.

Edit: Let me follow that up with a trade down scenario.

JD trades down with Carolina at #8. Carolina get Jets #2 (Zack Wilson). Jets gets Carolina's #8, Christian McCaffrey, their 2021 2nd, and their 2022 1st. Nice haul. 2 picks and a player.

JD plans on drafting Justin Fields at #8, with Mac Jones as his fall back.

But then, the trade backfires as all 5 QBs are gone. So...JD pivots, keeps Sam, uses #8 on Pitts, uses the new 2nd on a top guard, then in 2022 uses the new 1 on the best WR/RT.

A trade down like that can only be considered if JD still has Sam in his back pocket to protect against the worse case happening.

#1329 Footballgod214, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

JD knows what he's doing in the draft, he probably has for some time. Pro days aren't make or break events for prospects. He probably just wanted to make sure Wilson wasn't 6' tall and 200 lbs.

11. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

Pro Days are bs. Darnold performed in pouring rain and wowed the shit out of everyone. People becoming enamored with ZW for a scripted throw with 0 defenders and his play against defenses with players that won’t be in the nfl, but in your local flag football leagues, is ludicrous.

Not convinced Darnold is the answer, but ZW is too big of a gamble. Would have preferred a package of picks to build this team, Pitts who may be Megatron lite, or PS to beef up the o line. If Darnold doesn’t prove himself this year, then draft a QB next year, because I’m sure we’ll still be picking top 10 if he doesn’t deliver.

ouchy, SOJAZ, tomdeb and 2 others like this.
  12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Not a bad plan at all. Especially since Miami has their sights set on Pitts at 6. We would be getting better and saving ourselves from having to face that beast for 10 years.

there will be another "Zach Wilson OMG!!!!" in next year's draft anyway, just with a different name

13. Footballgod214

Exactly. And what if Zack WAS only 5'-11" and his meds came back worse than expected. But he already traded Sam so he's kinda painted himself into a corner.

14. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I can see it being a little unfair for Sam, but it is what it is from the Jets’ perspective. He is an asset as either a trade chip now or later on, a backup QB for a year, or even as a starter to begin the season if the rookie isn’t ready.

The Jets shouldn’t just give him away for peanuts because fans are impatient or because Sam wants out himself (which I never heard that).

15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I think Geno tried to touch her penis....

16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Then we would be drafting Fields, and 49ers would not be trading for #3 overall. Sam wasn't traded because we are not offered much, if anything, it's that simple. Perhaps JD thinks it's better to keep him than get a 3d/4th rounder. Unless perhaps someone falls and he can pull the trigger during the draft.

17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

That's the point: then why compare them? Two different throws in two different situations. Someone didn't like that Zach had a nice pro day throw and wanted to put him down. Moronic.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Or they think folks are overreacting and wanted to add some perspective.

19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I don't feel that way. The Jets are done with Darnold. No need to give him away for free though. If they are not getting the offer they want, they can keep waiting. Didn't the Jets get a 3rd round pick for Teddy Bridgewater in 2018 during Pre-season? That can always be an option if the Jets don't get what they want for Sam before then.

It sucks for Sam. It sucks for Zach Wilson briefly. I would understand the Jets doing it though. A training camp injury occurs, and all of a sudden a team is willing to trade a 1st round pick for Sam. Never know.

I still think a team will offer a 2nd round pick before then and the Jets will trade him, but I am starting to worry about that since it hasn't happened yet. Maybe I valued him too high thinking the Jets could get a late 1st or 2nd round pick for him.

20. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Did I miss the announcement? That's what I'm talking about - Is this you guessing at what will happen or are you an insider at the Jets organization? Are you on the coaching staff or are you one of the Johnsons? Maybe you're Joe Douglas's wife, or priest or shrink or bartender? If it's just an opinion you've developed, was it based on any facts at all or on detective work you've done or just on selective reading of online forums? How did they eliminate all the other candidates and determine for sure that Jacksonville is not going to waver from the expectation that they will definitely choose Lawrence? Or doesn't that matter?

If the Jets pick Wilson in the draft, of course the intent will be that he will be the next Jets quarterback, but how soon? Will he start the next hundred games? You are correct that when the Jets picked Sam Darnold he was their next quarterback - and a bust. How are you so sure history will not repeat itself?

SOJAZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.