Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

This thread has the makings of being historically depressing..

2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

Even worse than all the support they didn't provide Sam with is the fact they brought back Bowles. They knew he was gone, he had coached poorly every year, why keep him around just to fire him after Sam's rookie season. That was the biggest blunder (especially because we would not have been able to hire Gase).

I have faith in JD and RS. This draft needs to be a homerun though.

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Hey, a brand new Sam Darnold thread, if I read this one will it be different to all the others?

I'll guess that a pro Sam guy will appear within 3 posts to defend him and then be beaten down by the rest.

Ralebird and REVISion like this.
  4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You're right, they weren't the same pass. One was thrown by a QB under heavy pressure who broke a tackle and then threw a cross body laser dime to a tightly covered receiver in stride, the other was a well rehearsed exclamation point play at a pro day workout to an uncovered receiver with no pressure on the QB and it ended up being a rainbow pass that the receiver had to adjust his route to catch.

The more I watch the 2 videos side by side, the less impressed I am with the Wilson throw.

5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Keeping Sam on the roster for one more year, is worth more than the late 2nd at best probably 3rd or 4th round pick we would get in return.

Even if Wilson is ready to start, you have Sam there a backup, if Wilson in any way does not look ready in training camp, you can start Sam and take the pressure of forcing Zach to start on day 1.

Who cares if you let Sam walk after the year.

Ralebird, JETS1116, azhar80 and 4 others like this.
  7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

not the worst plan. i could see this.....guess it depends on the market. less than a 2 and he stays with the team for the year.

Jets79 likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Darnold was never a smart QB. Constant mental gaffes bring his game down.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

To each his own. I've given credit to Sam for making the play in a game. It was a great play. The problem is that plays like that with Sam are exceedingly rare and far between. Wilson made throws like that all the time this past sesaon.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  10. legler82

They are actually not exceedingly rare. He averages a spectacular play almost once a game. There are plays Sam have made that some HOF QBs have NEVER made in their entire career. The real problem with Sam is that he struggles with the simple plays that good QBs make 10 out 10 times. I’m pretty sure Wilson will not be making plays like that all the time in the NFL. He shouldn’t have to. If he is, then it’s likely the team he plays for sucks ass.

#1270 legler82, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    azhar80 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Duh! Really? I get it that Sam did it in a game, and I've given him kudos for that, both at the time he did it during the game, afterward, and this weekend. Still, Wilson's pass traveled almost twice as far, and it may be that the receivers that Wilson threw to were not his normal receivers and he had had no time to develop timing with them. In addition, Wilson made plays like that all the time this past season. Sam has made, what 2-3 of them in 3 years?

At present, Sam sucks. With some time working on his flaws, learning how to read Ds, fixing his footwork and accuracy, and his decision making, he might be able to become a solid starter in the NFL instead of a backup or out of the league within a few years, but if he doesn't start working his ass off studying film, changing his footwork, and anything else that needs changing, he's going to wind up out of the league.

12. NCJetsfan

That shows what the NFL truly thinks of Sam. Sam lovers need to wake up.

matt robinson 17 and Borat like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

At this point, I think it's a fait accompli that Sam will still be here. If JD had planned to trade Sam, he already would have and would have probably signed CJ Beathard before the Jags did. I can live with that as long as JD still takes Wilson or Fields at #2.

Jets79 likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

is there anyone here that is even a "Sam lover"

it seems like the fanatical thing is to be a Wilson lover these days

15. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Absolutely.
    Having two very talented (yet unproven) QBs on the roster under the age of 25 increases our odds of finding the best QB for the system, while also providing injury insurance.

I’m not dumping Darnold for peanuts.
    Would much rather keep rostered for 2021, let the QBs compete, and see what happens.

on a side note, while I expect the system and coaching to be much more QB friendly, JD still hasn’t done much at all to improve the offensive talent.
    2021 gonna be an uphill climb for whoever is under Center.

tomdeb likes this.
  16. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Then why the heck did you bring it up? To show that in his entire career Sam also made a good throw? Yes, we all know that. That doesn't make Zach's Pro Day any less/more impressive.

matt robinson 17 and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I respectfully disagree. What few there were are blown out of the water by all the horrible throws, TOs, and lousy decisions he made. Yes, he made some throws that some HOF QBs could never have made. That's due to a difference in style of play. The NFL has changed. With very rare exceptions (Warren Moon, Steve Young, Steve McNair), QBs never used to run with the ball, and it was always drilled into them not to throw off platform. So to say that a bunch of HOF QBs could never have made those throws means nothing.

I agree with your last points that Wilson shouldn't have to make plays like that all the time in the NFL, but it's nice to know that when plays break down he can still turn them into something special. Aaron Rodgers does it pretty regularly.

Borat likes this.
  18. legler82

I think his contract situation has a lot to do with it.

19. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

You've seen Kiper say Sam is really top QB in this draft after Trevor and Schefter saying he is worth 1st round pick, right?

azhar80 and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. NCJetsfan

Exactly! That's why imo Sam will never be a topnotch QB in the NFL. He simply isn't very smart. He must not be able to remember what he has seen on film or process what he's seeing quickly or something. He has the physical tools to be great. He's kind of like Testaverde and Cutler...million dollar arms and ten cent brains, except they still managed to play at a much higher level than Sam ever has.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.