Justin Fields Pro Day. March 30th Tuesday

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Mar 28, 2021.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Yep he’s the type of athlete that is going to appear even more impressive in shorts than he does in pads. He was the best QB at his elite 11 w/o having to run the 40.

#21 legler82, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  2. legler82

Whenever someone says “no offense but”, I cringe and brace myself.

K'OB and FJF like this.
  3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I'm certainly no QB guru but to me, I really like the elite athleticism that Fields has. He also has a really solid frame, strong arm, and solid deep ball accuracy.

I find it quite funny that for months Fields was the consensus #2 for almost everyone, then after 2 "bad" games, he isn't.

He kinda reminds me of Russell Wilson + Big Ben.

4. legler82

He had a bout of hero ball & poor decision making for one game & that is being treated like a death sentence. Sam Darnold did that for his entire redshirt sophomore season and all we got were excuses from the same draft experts killing Fields now. It’s all very inconsistent.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't think I was "cringeworthy".:D

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think he's definitely better than Dak. I wasn't a fan of Dak at all. I like Fields a lot.

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  7. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

You are a gentleman CC. We all now that :)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Of course there is an outcome in which both Fields and Wilson go on to have stellar careers, in which case they were neither right nor wrong, they don’t get banned and the Jets become winners for a long time and everyone will be happy.

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

NC. You are in top 5 for my TGG Football Gurus, just so you know. Glad you also like Fields.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

You beat me to it! That's what I get for taking a nap! LOL

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think Dak is a pretty apt comparison for Fields but Fields is more athletic. I’ve heard a lot of a bigger Russ but I don’t think he has quite the touch that Russ does and certainly is slower to process and go through reads then Russ.

Can’t really understand why he isn’t at least considered neck & neck with Wilson for QB2, very perplexing. Maybe he is though where it counts in NFL circles.

12. NCJetsfan

Excellent point! I'd be willing to bet that he is. Media clowns are always wrong. They are biased, have agendas, know less than many of us, are arrogant, lazy, and many are just ignorant. There is no accountability, either. If there was, Mel Kiper and Todd O'Shay still wouldn't have jobs.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As time moves on and find more and more comfort and peace of mind thinking that either Wilson or Fields will make me super happy, my dark side is kicking in with the scenario wherein at the beginning of Fields pro day, late braking news takes center stage with the announcement that the Jets have finalized a mega deal for the number 2 pick completely blowing the Phins deal out of the water.

ouchy, REVISion and Brook! like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Sorry, but the Mahomes comparison makes no sense. Mahomes took the job from a potential Heisman candidate in Davis Webb once he got hurt and outplayed him in that time. Webb was a four star recruit. He transferred after losing his job and was eventually drafted in the third round. He also quickly forced an eventual Heisman winner in Baker Mayfield to transfer. Mahomes threw 52 touchdowns in his first two seasons.

Wilson was one of BYU's highest recruited quarterback of all time and he beat out Tanner Mangum - a guy who was living on a good freshman year who subsequently went on to throw 16 touchdowns over his next three years (including the one where he lost his job midseason to Wilson). Mangum himself was a four star recruit that was in his seventh year at the University due to a mission and really never recovered to be a good player from 2016-2018. Wilson threw 23 touchdowns his first two years

Can you please identify exactly how those two situations are remotely similar? Who are the 15 quarterbacks he beat out (hyperbole I imagine)?

legler82 likes this.
  15. legler82

Mahomes lost games in college because his defense was at stout as wet toilet tissue. He famously accounted for nearly 1,000 yards & helped his offense put up 59 points against ranked Oklahoma & still lost the game. Wilson wasn’t under the same pressure to put up points just to so his team can be in games.

16. ColoradoContrails

Read this, origninally posted by TDK:

FMIA: Insight on NFL's 17-Game Schedule and Story of Zach Wilson - Peter King, NBC Sports

And my bad it was 9 QBs, not 15, but Wilson was a 3 star recruit.

“I think that’s what’s interesting about my career as well. I wasn’t a big recruit. I didn’t have a lot of offers. I went to BYU as just a normal three-star recruit. Nothing special. Nobody expected me to play early. I ended up having a chance to play as a freshman, something that I had to work for—nine quarterbacks in the quarterback room at the time."

The comparison to Mahomes was the fact that everyone discounted Mahomes because of the losing record, the Air Raid offense, and Texas AM being a poor producer of pro QBs despite the lofty stats. As to Mahomes throwing 52 TDs his first 2 seasons, what are you trying to say with that? That Mahomes was good? Yeah, no shit, I was one of the few here banging the table for him. And I'm not saying Wilson is as good as Mahomes or even as good a prospect as Mahomes, but he's in the ball park, even if he might be in the mezzanine level.

BTW: If I said the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, would you contest that as well?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

Again, I didn't compare Wilson's production or abilities to Mahomes, just the situation of coming from programs that were looked down upon as "inferior".

18. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

I do see a lot of throws from perfect pockets.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Why are you sensitive? Lol.

But guy, c'mon with this stuff. First of all, there was only an "open competition" because the incumbent had not performed well enough to be the shoe in starter. Do you think Clemson would've had an open competition after Deshaun Watson's sophomore year?

Secondly, college rosters have exorbitant sized rosters. The number of players at a position is irrelevant since a bunch of those guys are either underclassmen or the equivalent of a taxi-squad player that are just happy to get their letters and clap on the sidelines. Dowells Loggains was a "backup" quarterback at Arkansas that would've been considered in a count like that. He's five foot six...

Ohio State had seven quarterbacks in the roster. Michigan had eight. Utah had seven. Oklahoma State had six. Boston College had seven. According to ESPN they had seven and BYU's website lists five.

This is where understanding the context of the sport instead of taking a little comment like that to interpret it with your own hyperbole to support an argument.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Is this one televised too?