SOJ thought on the big decision at QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Mar 24, 2021.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Or he then becomes a desirable trade piece, in future like Jimmy Grap etc

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

[​IMG]

;)

For those that get confused easily the gif shows daffy duck in a happy state ie he will be happy that Sam is under C :rolleyes:

#142 K'OB, Mar 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Just let go, brother. Sam is toast. You need to work through all the stages of grieving and make it to acceptance. It will be ok.

REVISion likes this.
  4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i agree with this.

Navy
    Troy
    Louisiana Tech
    UTSA
    Houston
    Texas St
    Western Kentucky
    Boise St
    North Alabama
    Coastal Carolina
    San Diego St
    UCF

not exactly an sec schedule, or a big 10 schedule, or a big 12 schedule even. I am far from sold on this kid like it seems the rest of the world is. I am a you have to have a top qb guy. you just have to. but i dont think this kid is it.

i was so happy and ready to go at one point this off season, lots of cap space, going to be alot of guys getting cut due to the cap, love the saleh hire, glad the gm made it and then maybe deshaun watson in a trade oh boy... now im like fuck me were going to pick this kid and he is going to get eaten up by new york and be a middling qb for the next 3 years and the dolphins are going to trade for watson and we will be playing 4 games a year against watson and allen.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, if you feel none of them past TL are really worth it you are in good company, thus many here prefer keeping Sam. However, using the competition as a criteria, particularly lack of big 10 schedule competition a as a measure of success is just as silly in my opinion, because Ohio State has dominated that conference, since 1980 in fact playing against such mighty schedule, had 12 QBs drafted in the NFL, nothing but bust after bust with Dwayne Haskins the latest victim. So to say Fields faced a tougher schedule implies he has a higher chance to succeed, I'm not buying it, because the style of offense they play translates to QB failure in the NFL based on history. Ironically the most successful of all was Tomczak that went undrafted.
    So if we pass with Wilson at two, so be it, I trust the CS, but I see no way we should take someone else then because of competition. Neither Ohio State nor Alabama with their power houses have that good of a record in that regard when it comes to QBs. Same argument many made with Josh and Wyoming. Go figure.

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Still threw 60 yard bombs to receivers and more importantly with accuracy.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

How have those SEC and Big 10 QB been for the Jets lately? I'll wait for that answer. Oh, wait Sam Darnold Big 10 QB.

8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I like all of that. It sounds good to me. If Douglas and Saleh had went that way, I think fans should have supported it. I just feel the Jets have decided to go in another direction. 100% now after that Miami/SF trade. Everything you just wrote is a good strategy for whatever team trades for Sam. He can be successful with that kind of support.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think so too. Sam can be still be very good, and a new offense made just for him was probably his best shot. Trading Sam to some other team as a back up or coming into an established offense probably won't work out too good.

I don't know what JD thinks about any of these QBs coming out, but I don't see a single slam dunk, come in day one and light it up. I see QBs that will need a lot of time to develop in the NFL. None of them (to me) are a slam dunk, #2 overall pick worthy. If JD decides Sam's not the future, I'd like him to trade down 'some', pick up another 2nd or 2022 first, and take someone like Fields, Trask, or Jones.

Oh well, we'll find out soon enough.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  10. The Dark Knight

There are no slam dunks at QB, because half of the so called "slam dunks" don't even pan out. So it is a risk for sure. I get the fans who want a safer pick at #2, going OT or trading down. I am willing to trust Douglas and take the risk if he really feels Zach Wilson (or any of the other QB's) is special.

It's funny, because Joe Douglas is in a position where he can go in so many different directions. Great spot to be in, but whichever direction you go, some fans will be upset as it is not the path they prefer.

Centiment and boozer32 like this.
  11. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

We're not ending up with Sam. If we were keeping him we would have traded with the 49ers to move down from 2. We are pickng Wilson.

boozer32 and REVISion like this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think there is a pretty big difference. Some of those teams had barely better then a good high school defense. Conference rivals like Navy had half their starters opt out. Wilson faced one good pass rush the entire season, which was still miles below what he will see in the NFL. Wilson is unproven against quality defenses, even at the college level.

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

The 49rs package was kinda bogus. 2021 2nd, 2022 1st, 2023 1st. If those picks were accelerated to 2021, it'd only be two 2nds and a 3rd. For dropping down 9 spots? I can't see JD taking this.

I don't think we're keeping Sam either, but I wouldn't use the 49rs trade as proof.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think the path was pretty obvious. The second pick is solid gold this season, an amazing bounty to rebuild with, and we are just starting a rebuild. Yet were going to use all the gold on an unproven QB with an injury history who is still a long ways from being NFL ready. IMO its pretty hard to justify that path isn't the wrong one.

15. The Dark Knight

That is your opinion. I have heard many others. Each person feels strongly that their idea is the right one.

That is the other issue for Douglas. Each of the paths have pro's and con's to them. We, as fans, just need Douglas to make the decision that helps the team succeed. If the Jets start winning, we will be happy no matter what.

Centiment, CotcheryFan and ouchy like this.
  16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Some paths have more cons then others.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  17. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

has there ever been such a pitiful, " Oh! this poor guy!!!" rxn to a Qb being overhyped and overdrafted and simply playing badly?

smfh

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you haven't already, you should read this article posted by TheDarkKnight in another thread:

Great article on Zach Wilson from Jets hater Peter King:
    https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/28/nfl-17-game-schedule-zach-wilson-fmia-peter-king/

There's much more that goes into making a great QB than stats, W/L records, and Strength if Schedule.

alleycat9 and LAJet like this.
  19. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

darnold was PAC12 not Big10

:)

ColoradoContrails, K'OB and legler82 like this.
  20. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

darnold played at usc in the pac 12.

ouchy likes this.