SOJ thought on the big decision at QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I just haven’t see enough from Sam to give him a pass because of Gace, weapons etc.

New coach, fairly new GM. Time to start fresh and get something for Sam instead of nothing like Trubisky

PJ4Ever and REVISion like this.
  2. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

I believe he was drafted at Gates insistence more for his QB room acumen than his on field talents. I suspect this is why JD got him with one of our trade back picks.

I would love for Darnold to look good under the new system and trade him mid season to a contender.

Darnold - Smith - Morgan
    -> 2022 1st - Smith - Morgan

A couple trade backs this year and a strategic trade could become 4/5 2022 1st round picks.

3. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

true, but Burrow had the best single season of college football QB history, right? And he did it in the SEC and he won the national championship.

Wilson had a good season at BYU against scrub teams in a COVID year.

not even close as a comparison.

Look, I’m not saying he’s a bust...I’m just saying that he has plenty of questions....and in response to the post about if we had the first pick we’d all be saying take TL so why aren’t we all saying take a QB at two...what’s the difference? The difference is that neither Fields nor Wilson are that close to TL as prospects, and that’s why there is so much debate about what to do. I get that both are pretty highly rated and good prospects in their own rights, but they are not TL. They may be just as good or better in the NFL, who knows? But as prospects, they are not being touted as the best since Andrew Luck, whereas TL is.

Personally, I’d take Wilson over Fields if thats the option, but I’m not the college scout expert on it...just go by what I see on the few college games I watch.

ouchy and blackssmagic like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I've said that his build an injury history is a concern and that he'll need to check out medically. He injured both labrums in high school. He played 3 years of college with the torn labrum in his non throwing shoulder, and it obviously hasn't bothered him, so I disagree. The torn labrum in his throwing shoulder did require surgery before his sophomore season, and he struggled afterwards, but this past year was golden.

cval likes this.
  5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'd like to see the kid get a legitimate shot at a roster spot. Gase just isn't the judge of talent we should pin our overall evaluation on at the QB position. Maybe Morgan does suck, but he deserves a chance to show what he has. Kid never complained about not being included in Gase's plans. If nothing else, perhaps Morgan can be a viable backup QB to either Sam or Zach.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I read a scouting report last year and it said he was backup only material. Big arm, not accurate.

7. Have we seen enough of him, period? There have been some things that have kept him off the field,namely mono & some other injuries. Hes never had a competent surrounding cast.

What im stuck on is taking a very young QB & then dumping him after 3 yrs when we knew it would take time bc he had raw mechanics & a unique. Playing styoe. we also know everything around him has been caca. So we abort ship w.o ever seeing how he reacts to being kicked in the face?

8. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I understand that sentiment but Sam has been the worst in the NFL. The kid flashes great throws but really has not had a game you said wow.

His fault or the fault of a bad o-line Sam has trouble coming off his first read and bails s from the pocket way to quickly. Can a simpler offense help with that I am sure but how much? Zach is exiting to watch but yes he can bust but I hope we take the chance on him. If we do not I will be rooting for Sam to succeed or whomever our QB maybe.

REVISion likes this.
  9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Worst coach in the NFL - check
    No offensive coordinator - check
    No QB coach - check
    Worst offensive line in the NFL - check
    Worst running back situation in the NFL - check
    Worst tight end situation in the NFL - check
    Worst receiver situation in the NFL - check

What young, inexperienced QB is going to have any other outcome than "worst starting QB in the NFL" given this scenario?

Do you think Sam would fail if Belichick got his hooks into him next year?

10. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Sam, Has shown nothing in his three seasons that make you think he can be a top half NFL QB. To me he has shown his ceiling to be Jimmy G.

REVISion likes this.
  11. Nobody seemed to think that last offseason or anything prior.

In fact,when TL first surfaced it took convincing a decent sized segment of the fans to even consider moving on from Sam.

Its hard to put a cap on what a QB can be when he hasnt even turned 24 & has never had anything close to competence around him. How do we have any idea what he is w optimal scheme/coaching & surrounding talent?? We have none

papapump and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Year 3 is always a big year for a QB. You expect your QB to make a big jump. Year 1 he is a rookie, year 2 they have tape on you, year 3 a big jump. Sam did not make this jump in fact with the tape on him he regressed. Sam cannot process information quick enough and that makes an average to below average QB. The only way he can be average is that he can make some special throws.

REVISion likes this.
  13. Literally the youngest QB prospect ever who we shouldve known would need time even w ideal circumstances forget the threshold of hell

While I can see moving on from him as a fan of the team, if im another young QB,loved one or agent the last place i wanna be is in Florham Park.You literally cant do worse by a player or piss away an investment worse than this.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

so now Morgan is the second coming of Hackenberg?

15. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Yes, The Jets did not help him that much but Sam did not help himself either. I hope I am wrong about Sam and he goes on to have a great career with or without the Jets.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, in normal situations, Year 3 is the Defining Year, but the Jets situation for his first 3 years is anything but normal. Again, this is not to discount or ignore that Darnold has his share of blame, but the fact is that what the Jets did to him was egregious. In all seriousness, he ought to consider suing them and Gase for damages.

That said, he's probably not going to become a top 10 QB which is what I want the Jets to have, so it's time to find his replacement. I wouldn't be opposed to them keeping him as the "bridge" for the rookie, because if you look at who's available none of them are even better than Sam has shown.

17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Beating a dead horse x100000 here but we thought differently of Sam before this last season because he hadn't regressed significantly yet. Of course we're going to think differently after he put that abomination of a last season on tape. It's one thing to have a bad situation but it's another to regress significantly in your 3rd year and get notably outplayed by Joe Flacco with the same supporting cast.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  18. Gotham Green

Gotham Green Active Member

Some High School in New Jersey looking for a football coach just perked up.

Cman68 likes this.
  19. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Two things, If you looked at the weapons the Fins started at w/o, Grant,Hollins, Parker played early on but was hurt late, Gaskins,Adbul. They had less talent at their skilled positions than we did. They had 3 rookies on the o-line. This with rookie qb

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If we end up with Sam, Saleh and LaFleur will have a golden opportunity to design a game plan from the ground up tailored to exactly what Sam loves to run and is successful at. They can tweek or eliminated plays that Sam struggles with. They can design a playbook that is NOT QB centric in that in order for the playbook to work the QB has to only throw 200 yards and 2 scores with the balance coming from the RG and great defense. Focus a ton on the Running Game, screens, slants, throws to the TEs, etc. Keep the plan simple and loaded with what Sam is good at. They don't have to design game plans that requires the QB to throw for 400 yrds and 3 scores every time out just for a shot at winning.

So a game plan designed from the ground up just for Sam and a great coaching staff to help Sam execute would be a first for Sam. Then a bunch of new talent around Sam and let him go get it done,

The Dark Knight likes this.