Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He must have decisively turned down the trade option with the 49ers, not sure he can be blamed on not trading Darnold to them before they moved up in the draft, I mean they may not have even wanted him and who could blame them tbh

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes. That's how a GM is supposed to operate, not in the slow, conservative pussified way JD acts. I may have to become a Dolphins' fan.

3. NCJetsfan

That goes to show how wrong many fans are and how much of the media is clueless. It shows how much the NFL values QBs and recognizes the quality of this QB draft class. Some posters here don't know jack about QBs, how the NFL views them, or how to build a roster.

4. NCJetsfan

No he doesn't. That's ridiculous!

Noam likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

It's true that they may not have wanted him, but it at least gave the impression that another team might be interested and could have kept the market higher. And they may have been interested, or interested a month ago, but now they want to make their plans and aren't willing to wait any longer.

6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Good luck

#2006 bicketybam, Mar 26, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  7. NCJetsfan

LOL I was joking, but JD or our luck or both really pisses me off sometimes.

8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Being a Celtics fan, all I'll say is that being apart of a trade that you fleece a bad GM (trade 2 first rounders for Tunsil, compared to Boston trading pierce/KD for 3 Net 1st rounders), doesn't necessarily make the fleecer a good GM. See Danny Ainge and current state of Celtics.

Jury is still out on Tua, and let's see what these picks get them. I expect more trades to maximize the fleece of the Texans.

9. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Don't tease us like that...

Mogriffjr and Cromartie's_kid like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Eh, you'd miss me if I was gone, and you know it. LOL

themorey likes this.
  11. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Such angst!

well I assume that SF would have called us first, but then I saw tweets (Schefter?) saying that they never did talk to the Jets about the two. Who knows? I think JD has done a great job at holding his cards close to his chest. No one knows what the fuck he will do.

so maybe there were no talks because they called him and he said we’re not trading out. Who knows?

I’m not too concerned about trading Darnold or not. We’ve heard everything from he’s not worth shit to NFL GMs like him and still believe in him. Who the fuck knows? If a first round pick was really being offered I’m sure JD would have made that deal. I’m guessing that offer has not been made. I’m also ok with not trading him for a late round pick. So if JD wants to keep him AND draft Wilson or Fields or Lance at two, I’m fine with that as well. Not moving Darnold for a fourth round pick is not going to kill us.

There will be injuries that could drive up his value later. Or he may play well enough that we can get something decent for him during the preseason or even into the season. If he plays and lights it up we can franchise tag him and trade him then. Lots of outcomes still possible.

I think there are valid criticisms on JD, most notably letting Robby go and replacing him with a career injury prone underachiever like Perriman who gave us exactly that, or also criticizing the mediocre and questionable “improvements” to the OL. Those criticisms I get.

I think his first draft was a solid B effort....Becton, Mims, Hall were good...the rest of the picks ranged from decent to “meh”

I like his free agent signings of younger up and coming guys like Lawson and Davis as compared to large numbers to older guys who’ve already peaked. He addressed need areas at DE and WR, but has also completely ignored needs at CB and OG.

so there are some criticisms ...but his handling of Darnold and the number two pick so far I don’t see as an issue...

SOJAZ, azhar80, chandler and 2 others like this.
  12. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

This really only leaves Carolina as a trade partner, I do not think the Eagles would trade with the Jets as the loser of the trade would be tarred and feathered, with both gms coming out of the same office. Carolina has a blueprint to what Miami got from trading 3 to 6. We would be going from 2 to 8. I think we draft Wilson. It is interesting that maybe the 49ers saw something today from Wilsons pro day to do this trade today?

13. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

My whole thing with JD is he has wasted 2 yrs of my Jet life. We had L. Williams, R. Anderson, and Avery. Are Lawson, Davis and the lber better? Probably not and they all could have cost the same or not better if we neg. their contracts right. Becton played great and we just hope he stays healthy. Mims I think is overhyped. I think his ceiling is D Parker in Miami. A good 2 , and Hall was a steal. Like him a lot. The rest of the draft has questions like all drafts going into yr 2

SOJAZ and BacktoQueens like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Dolphins draft relatively sucked as far as rookie performances last year. That could change but that's where it stands right now. Tua was the best player and he couldn't hold down the spot without the threat of Fitzpatrick coming out of the pen. They also never should've made the QB switch in the heat of a playoff with the beard playing well.

They can beat their chests with all their picks but they made some very questionable decisions in general over the past year and a half.

mrjet80, Mogriffjr and JackBower like this.
  15. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Why is Mims considered good? 23 catches, 0 tds. Big deal.

16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Good prospect, but needs to prove it in the NFL. Big year for him in 2021.

17. NCJetsfan

He was a great prospect. He has great hands, excellent speed and size, and is good with YAC. Once he got healthy, he was able to get open pretty consistently. Flacco saw him and threw him the ball. Sam not so much. If Flacco had been the starter the rest of the year, Mims would have had a lot more han 23 catches and probably at least a TD or two. He beat several of the top CBs getting open. On some of them Flacco saw him and threw the ball to him. On others, Sam didn't see him or was locked onto someone else and threw to them. I think he will have a breakout year this year. He is a very talented, high character, hard-working player.

mrjet80 likes this.
  18. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We are a year or more behind the Dolphins.

This draft we select Wilson (vs Tua 2020 pick 5). Next year we can start stockpiling picks with one or both of our first rounders. The Jets will remain a top 5/top 10 pick and Seattle are a Wilson trade away from joining us. Jamal Adams could be our Laremy Tunsil.

For further lolz: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/why-the-seahawks-should-still-trade-jamal-adams

jilozzo and mrjet80 like this.
  19. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Good post. It very well could be we keep Sam and draft qb at 2. Helps defuse the pressure on Wilson being a day 1 starter. KC benefitted from that approach. Plus trading Sam now after his terrible year is the epitome of selling low. I’m sure they would for the right price but there’s no reason to just dump him

SOJAZ, Mogriffjr, Ralebird and 2 others like this.
  20. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

The dude had no mimi training camp, no OTAs, no preseason and then injured his hammy (which I'm sure you knew) which led to missing 7 games. So 40 yards/ game and 15.5 y/c for a rookie on the worst offense in the league.

There have been many videos posted about Sam's inability to find Mims running wide open down the field. Watch some of the all 22 shots of Sam either not seeing him or not having enough time to get him the ball.

The kids is good. Real good. Gotta look beyond stats sometimes.

NYGANGGREEN, Mogriffjr, Noam and 2 others like this.