Smartphones: Android versus iOS

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

What you guys got? I have a Pixel 3XL and I love it but I believe support ends at the end of the year so I'll be in the market soon enough for a new phone. Enjoying not having the extra finance payment tacked onto the bill for the last 7 months but I'm going to have to get a new one eventually.

Traditionally I've changed back and forth every new phone from iPhone to Android for the past 10ish years. Open to suggestions though.

2. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I've had Samsung Galaxy phones for at least the past 5 years, and they haven't steered me wrong.

3. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

Oneplus Android Phones here for an while still on the 6t thinking about upgrading but nah. Pixel is great as well. I will always recommend finding one without bloatware.

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Samsung are good phones, all my friends who have them absolutely love them, I have an iPhone and only reason I keep it is because I don’t do a lot with phone, I’m used to IOS, and I don’t want to be bothered learning nuances of a new phone.

I use my phone for music playlist, and basic communication, my main concern is carrier, I switched to Verizon and never looked back.

My phone gets signal everywhere I go.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Just got an S21 myself to replace my S something which wasn't even 18 months old but it was free plus they gave us i think about $100 credit to use in the samsung store. Can't complain about any of my Samsung S series phones. I think i started back with the S5, switched to a moto one time and switched right back.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah I've had Sprint (before the merger), AT&T and now Verizon and I'll never go back. Service varies in different areas but I had so many dropped calls and bad reception spots with AT&T in southern NY and central Jersey now.

Sprint was fine service wise but their customer service and retail store staff was always horrible.

Red Menace likes this.
  7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Over the years I've stuck with Samsung Notes, but they discontinued the series. Thought about going with the 512g S21 Ultra but Samsung is starting to be lame like Apple, no charger in the box, plus I'd have to purchase the S-pen separately.

The money doesn't bother me but the principle does, Samsung spent years making fun of Apple about gouging customers with separately sold components and now they're doing the same thing.

So I'm looking around now. Might still get it, maybe not. I can't do Chinese phones because most of them are incompatible with my work network for security reasons.

I'll wait until I'm 90 before I buy an iPhone.

Red Menace likes this.
  8. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I was like you but the switch from IOS to android is easy. The lovers and haters have strong opinions which makes it seem like they are way different but not really, I found them to be very similar

Red Menace likes this.
  9. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Apple did the same to Microsoft, they made fun of them with those old commercials where people were chained to their desks and all looked alike. Apple is using same tactics to keep everything in house and gouge their customers for as much money as they can while producing their phones in China.

On principle alone I want to get a Samsung but I’m not paying $1000 for a phone to to send a message.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yeah I don't mind spending the money because I'm a tech guy and I get the most out of the features, I can understand not liking that price point though.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I used to loved the Droids that had a keyboard.

I went from those to S4, now I have a S8. Im Android all the way.

I have had work phones that are iPhones, and I've supported companies that give out only Iphones... i would say most people prefer Iphone because of familiarity and ease of use. Apple as a company drives me mad, so I don't purchase their products for myself.

12. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I always go cheap Android with the biggest battery.
    My unlocked Moto G Power was well under $200 and lasts three days on a charge.

Does everything I need to do except take great pics...