SOJ thought on the big decision at QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Our former HC buried this kid in the back of the roster so we still have no idea if he can play or not. He has the arm we need in the NE outdoors but is Morgan still in that knee brace? Our former HC didn't have a fckn clue so this upcoming TC should be interesting IF they're really interested in playing the best QB on the roster and not the politics of draft status or paycheck. Maybe the best QB wins.. Maybe the highest paid QB wins.. Maybe the new shiny kid QB wins. A lot of maybies isn't it..

Lon Chaney and K'OB like this.
  2. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

he stinks, bro

Rockinz likes this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

You have proof of this I'm sure... Video? Game film? anything at all?? Maybe we should just trust Gase's judgement..

#103 Cman68, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    K'OB likes this.
  4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

He had Adam Gase as a HC the last two years. Anyone would look lost under Gase. One of the worst HC's in the history of the sport.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That is one of the reasons I still believe that Sam can have a successful career. He needs better players around him and better coaching. It is still risky to assume he will succeed though. Riskier than drafting one of these talented rookie QB's like Wilson. They have no baggage. They will have a rookie contract. They likely will play better than Sam has so far due to having a better team around them from the start. Seems like the way to go for future success.

6. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

How many times has Wilson landed on IR...he still has a torn labrum as well

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They don't have an IR in college. He didn't start initially his freshman year, and I think a Sr. started the first 3 games and Zach played the last 9 and didn't miss a game. He missed 3 games in 2019 (the year he had surgery on his throwing shoulder). I don't know when they were, but I imagine that they were the first 3 games of the season, and he was still rehabbing and getting his arm strength back. He didn't miss a game his Sr. season.

The torn labrum is in his non-throwing shoulder, and is a non factor.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

True indeed. We wasted two years by not firing Mac before his last draft and free agency mess, but even more so by not firing Gase before we fired Mac. Darkest period in Jets history

#108 LAJet, Mar 25, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  9. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

He wasn't exactly lighting it up with Bowles/Bates either. And Bates ran a system similar to the Shanahan one which everyone claims is an especially good fit for Darnold.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

TBF, he played MUCH better under Bates, and that was his first season. Had he been able to continue in that system instead of having to learn an entirely new system - a system that was almost 180 degrees contrary to his natural abilities, with almost no support or development from his HC and no real OC, you need acknowledge the massive hurdles these were. The claim that Darnold is trash simply doesn't jibe with reality, despite all the raw stats you post. I'm not saying they should stick with him - I've been vocal about wanting to move on, especially with Wilson - but he could be a decent bridge QB, or more likely go on to some team and become a better than average QB.

11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He played better in his second year than he did in the first. Check the numbers.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  12. REVISion

I would say much better is a stretch. His rookie year he had the worst completion % of his career and barely threw more TD's than INT's. There's a pretty strong argument to be made that his first season under Gase was his best season.

bicketybam likes this.
  13. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Peyton Manning and Drew Brees had worse td to int rates in their first years as starters. Ben Roethlisberger had 18 tds and 23 int’s in year 3...

At this point most people are ready to move on with Wilson...

That should be enough for the anti-Darnold crowd but it’s not... which is frankly weird since he’s arguably had the worst supporting cast of any Jets Qb in their history... including coaching, line and weapons...

14. REVISion

Sorry but those comparisons are the dumbest thing ever when used to excuse bad first seasons with young QB's. The list of new QB's who started poorly and never improved is about 20x as long. You're using exceptions to the rule to prove the rule. It makes no sense.

Not sure why you act like I'm going out of my way to shit on Darnold when I was just responding to a claim that he was "much better" his rookie season. It's just not the case. Maybe you're the one who's more biased about him than you should be?

15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

i agree at first overall we’d take Lawrence no questions asked

the difference is that not everyone feels that Fields or Wilson are close at all. If they did, we’d all be saying take them.

Fields has way too many questions....coming from that school it doesn’t translate to the NFL. He won’t have 20 seconds to find wide open receivers. If he succeeds in the NFL he’ll be the first OSU QB to do it. The first. Too risky for me.

wilson I think translates better, but he had one good year against shit competition during COVID. No one was talking about him as a top three pick a year ago. He also has injury history on his throwing shoulder.

so those are very real question marks.

I will be the first to say I am no expert on either guy, but if pressed, I’d probably favor Wilson only because his game translates better than I think Fields does. I would not use the second overall on Fields. I’d rather trade out. Wilson I would consider, because if we want him, then I think we need to take him at two.

16. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Darnold was much better his rookie year. Go watch his film vs looking at stats. He attempted + made throws we never saw again in 2019/2020. Go watch the 3 tds he throws on consecutive plays (called back on penalties), he could never do that w/Gase - particularly in 2020...

With that, expecting a Rookie Qb to come to bad team, with bad line, bad weapons and play lights is unrealistic.

No Qb can succeed on their own and not one expert has said the Jets did a good job supporting Darnold.

As far as hating on Darnold, I’ve seen enough of your posts to understand your thoughts about him.

Noam likes this.
  17. REVISion

I've seen every game from his first season, no need to rewatch. He looked about the same as he did his second year. Sam had more multi-TD games his first year under Gase than he did his rookie season.

When did I say anything about a rookie QB? When did I say anything about Darnold having a good situation? Of course he had a bad situation. He also shares plenty of the blame himself.

You're going out of your way to defend him and then accusing me of going out of my way to criticize him. My only initial claim was to disagree that Sam's rookie season was "much better" than any other season. It just wasn't.

18. ColoradoContrails

No one was talking about Joe Burrow the year before he was drafted either.

The shoulder injury can't be completely dismissed, but it was to his labrum which isn't as affected with throwing. That said, he's showing no signs of it now.

19. ColoradoContrails

My mistake.

20. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

You know what I meant....and as a Physical Therapist with over 25 yrs of experience I can tell you his injury history is a big issue