SOJ thought on the big decision at QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm with you. This is the old way of thinking. Cardinals showed with the Rosen/Murray situation you don't have to "mortgage your future" on a top pick.

2. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

All other things equal at 23 (let’s say LB Owisu-Koramoah) and 34 (OG Vera-Tucker) who would you rather add to the 2021 Jets?

Option A: Wilson/Fields

Option B: Mack/Lance + Cosmi + Carolina/Denver 2022 1st

Option C: Darnold + Surtain || + Cosmi + 2022 1st

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If I could be guaranteed that I could get Mac Jones (I assume that's you meant as "Mack"), or Lance while trading back to get a LOT of prime picks, I'd be tempted to trade back. That said though, the more I see of Wilson, I just think he's going to be special, so in the end, I stay at #2 and take him.

But of course, ask me tomorrow!:D

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Option C, Revis Island the Sequel

5. Option C

Fill roster holes at premium positions,revisit QB in 22 when hopefully CFB as well as pre draft returns to normalcy.Perhaps even give a rookie QB a fighting chance w a reasonable surrounding cast

6. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Yeah as tempted as I am for Sewell I'm starting to drink the Kool Aid on Pitts. And the Kool Aid would taste even better if it came with added picks on top.

This guy looks like he's going to be all of Travis Kelce in the NFL. I think of all the times I've watched Kelce just shred the other team and basically take over games at time. Then I think of all the times over the last few years where the Jets drives are hanging by a desperate thread only to have a would-be nice pass just clank off the hands of Tomlinson or Herndon. I think I saw somewhere that Pitts didn't even have one drop last season. 6'6" matchup nightmare who can square up blocks as well. Some of the scouts are grading him the highest marks ever at the TE position.

I can't imagine the Jets aren't at least weighing this possibility. And ultimately I bet this guy gets drafted a lot higher than I'm seeing him listed on some of these mock drafts.

PJ4Ever, blackssmagic and boozer32 like this.
  7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I’m going to say this plain and simple.

If we had 1 overall would the Sam supporters want to still trade back? No! No Way for Sam! There is a difference in my opinion from Lawrence to Wilson/Fields but many feel they are close to Lawrence. So what’s the difference?

#87 Rockinz, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

So we take a QB in the top 10, and after he busts and gets us the number 1 pick, we can trade him for a 2nd rounder and use the first pick on a new QB, and three years later reach the heights of 8-8. Even after looting Houston.

These new ways of thinking are complicated.

#88 ouchy, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    blackssmagic likes this.
  9. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Nobody's a sure thing. Go with who you feel is the best QB & forget the fact that you can trade down or have to pay Sam soon. Get the best QB. I believe Wilson is the guy to go with. I'm not a Sam hater, but what I have seen from Wilson on tape, trumps Sam's skills, such as accuracy, cannon arm, exceptional deep ball, more mobile, reads defenses well, throws with anticipation. The only negatives are, his size, & strength of competition. But I say if you can throw a dime 50 yards down field it doesn't matter what your competition is.

Jets81, boozer32, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No it isn't. It's a hell from which it's almost impossible to escape. You actually have to get worse before you can then get better. When you're mediocre, you're always drafting too low to get the topflight players that could lift you over the hump. You have little or no chance of getting an elite QB, LT, or Edge.

11. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

we're ALREADY alot worse than mediocre and have been for years. Do you expect us to go from that to good and just entirely skip past mediocre? I see being mediocre is a great step it the right direction and I look forward to us being mediocre.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Because JD has proven that he will only go so high with players. Some other team desperate for a QB would inevitably go higher than the Jets, and JD would let him walk. It's also more expensive to live here, taxes are higher.

Sam could also want to leave after the way the Jets didn't build around him, hired two lousy HCs who didn't have a freaking clue what they were doing, didn't fix the OL or add quality skill position players around him until this year. If he has any fire in his gut at all, it would be the perfect "eff you" to the Jets. Play very well his last year, then when they wanted to re-sign him, say, "Thanks, but no thanks. I'd rather go play somewhere else."

The pressure here is immense for QBs. In a smaller market or on the left coast it won't be that way.

Jets79 likes this.
  13. Yankee6

Id rather take the chance of losing him than pay him that much in the hopes he will earn it. At this point losing him next year would be no loss.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Sam went (2-10) and looked completely lost last year. How is it less risky to go with him than it is to go with a top prospect like Wilson or Fields? That line of thinking makes no sense to me, and I am a strong Sam supporter.

Both scenarios are risky from a QB standpoint, but I think it is more likely that Wilson will be great, than it is that Sam will be great.

Now, if you want to talk about what comes with Sam, then it gets more interesting. I care more about solidifying the QB position than having a great WR like Chase or a great TE like Pitts and no QB.

The scenarios could be huge.

Keep Sam, trade down and get:
    -Sam Darnold at QB (Exercise Sam's option, potentially extend him for big money)
    -Extra draft picks to build roster with
    -Elite player like Chase or Pitts

Trade Sam and get:
    -Zach Wilson (pay rookie contract)
    -2nd Round pick
    -Use extra money saved to sign a valuable Free Agent or two.

When you look at it this way, you can say it is riskier to trade Sam, but QB play is so important and valuable, it is hard to truly say that even. We have been weighing the options for months, and it really is a toss up depending on what you value, but I lean towards starting fresh with Zach Wilson.

15. Rockinz

I just can’t see how this isn’t a win win.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. Yankee6

I can see it as lose, lose which is why I started this thread. What if we keep Sam and the elite whoever at #2 and he sucks and Wilson who had 1 good year he might even end up worse than Sam for all we know.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I bet the whispers around the league for Sam is around a 4th rounder.

Also there's an option of a small trade down to get picks and an elite player. That would be my preference.

blackssmagic and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. Rockinz

You got to take your shot when you know the guy you have is Trubisky 2.0

If whoever at 2 busts at least you took your opportunity and didn’t make your bones on a guy who sucked for 3 years in a row and you didn’t draft him. I don’t see how anyone out there can’t see by trusting their eyes that Sam sucks bro. I know we invested a lot to move up and take him but let it go. Turn the page and take your next shot while u can still get something for him, you have a fresh QB contract to build pieces around and cap space saved from Sam’s 5th year option.

REVISion and Yankee6 like this.
  19. Yankee6

i agree, what the hell are the experts that say Sam can be really good watching? Its not just 1 person ive heard from many different people in the NFL that they believe in Sam. Theres no way they watched every game hes played like we have.

Losmeister likes this.
  20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Dont have to pay him $25 mill this year. His option is around $18, and the Jets could pass on the option and just tag him if he surprises this year

Ralebird, Jets79 and James Hasty like this.