Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

"Amazing how majority of people intimately connected to the league still strongly believe in Sam Darnold..."

Quite the claim given the nonexistent trade market.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Part of this is correct. It depends where the team is roster wise though. Complete, or close to complete, teams are usually better off taking a blue chip top 5. But complete teams usually don't pick top 5. If you have a lot of building to do then trading down is almost a necessity in this league. And if you have a lot of building to do even the picks we hold now are not enough. If your options are Trevor Lawrence or Joe Barrow, you grab them while you can. With Fields or Wilson its a little riskier. Now we are faced with a fork in the road and wondering which path is the best.

The dolphins are an interesting team to watch in the draft in this regard. They have a pretty solidly rebuilt team, and have the 3rd draft pick because of trades. Yet they are hooked on trading down, and many speculate that they will again this season. But in truth they are only two blue chips away from being a SB contender. They are in the opposite position as us, on the other end of a rebuild. But their fork in the road this draft is just as large as ours. Which is the better path to get them over the top? I hope they choose the wrong one.

3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

tomdeb likes this.
  4. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I am not the GM I am just a fan and will support whatever direction the team goes. I have watched the breakdown of Sam's film and think he just processes to slow and he is what is as NFL QB. He can make throws that make you go wow but the game has not slowed down and at this point I think we should move on.

I really like what I am seeing from Wilson quick release , accurate and scans the field quickly. I believe Fields is Mitch Tribinsky will be able to make plays with his legs but he seems to struggle to read defences I do not like his release. If the Jets draft him I will be a huge fan and hope I am wrong.

This notion of trading down and we will have a stacked team is just as much risk as drafting a Qb at 2.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There's a lot to said for this approach, but as you said (I think), there are caveats. and you have to take circumstances into the equation. While I tink if you rigorously followed this formula, over time - years - you would produce a consistently above average team. But above average is not usually enough to win a SB, and that's the ultimate measurement. There are times you need to "swing for the fence", but the trick is knowing when to do that. If you miss you can set your team back a lot.

But there's a "hole" in this argument as expressed above: it argues for trading back vs. trading up. What about trading back vs. staying at the premium spot you're already at? This is the situation the Jets are in. If anything, this article supports the case that the Jets should strike now, and not wait until next year or later for the very reason that they would then have to trade up, which this article says is almost always a bad idea.

As to the Patriots being so successful with this approach, the question needs to be asked: how successful would they have been without Tom Brady turning out to be what he is? Having a HOF QB covers up a lot of mistakes.

But if this strategy really IS the best approach, it would make sense to trade back out of the 1st round every single time, amassing 2nd and 3rd rounders, almost forcing yourself into having to follow this approach.

NCJetsfan, REVISion and westiedog1 like this.
  6. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

hahahah dude hes NUTS why do you waste your time lol......the funny thing is there are some posters who think he makes good posts. Hes a looooon...he reeads shit on teh internet and he changes it around a little and thats his new post hahahah. He doesnt even watch the games

The Waterboy likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

First of all, the people intimately connected to the league don't necessarily have a better track record of being right than armchair GMs do. And second, I'll believe it when I see it.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, there are definitely caveats. I agree that rigorously following this formula would result in a solid, above average football team, but one most likely without any stars, and one unlikely to get to, much less win, a SB.

The thing is every team can't follow that formula. All 32 teams can't trade out of the 1st round.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Fair enough. You articulate a persuasive message.

REVISion likes this.
  10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

11. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Everyday

12. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Maybe they know he's not available.

tomdeb likes this.
  13. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He was nowhere near a great QB. Come on.

14. Really?

4 time Pro bowler, All pro & league MVP in 1988. Was top 10 all time in passing when he retired & only player to hold team passing records w 2 different franchises.

All time elite? No. But in what world is he “not great”

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  15. bicketybam

Mine.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  16. Fair enough.

bicketybam likes this.
  17. bicketybam

For the record, I love Boomer. I was at the game where he got hurt and the crowd cheered. I was embarrassed to be a Jets fan that night. He's a class act and I feel he was a very good QB (not so much with us though.)

18. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

So why are we not drafting him when we have the worst qb in the NFL over the last 3 yrs.If we do not draft one of the 2 remaining top qbs, teams like the Eagles and Carolina can watch at least one of the 2 fall to them. The phins are not taking qb, Falcons maybe, Bengals no. There sits the Eagles Maybe they take one or build around Hurts meaning 1 of the top 3 falls to Carolina and they keep the draft cap.

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Sounds like you did not read my post. I never used the word "great"' to describe Boomer. I wrote that some posters believe a team MUST draft a QB in the first round, then I invited those thinking that to look at 4 QBs including Boomer who were skipped over in round 1. That's it. How you formulated that into me calling him "great" is beyond me. And, I think a guy who was named the league's MVP for the year did accomplish something.. I'll take that kind of performance any day.

20. bicketybam

I apologize, Deb. I saw Boomer's name mixed in some hall of famers. My bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.