SOJ thought on the big decision at QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Sticking with Sam is a mistake. He fucking sucks. Ray Charles can see he sucks. Get something for him NOW before it’s Trubisky 2.0 situation. Roll the dice with Wilson or Fields over Sam 100%. Or trade back and trade Sam but if Darnold is the starting QB week 1 we just lost another year and it’s definitely the SOJ.

NCJetsfan, Brook! and REVISion like this.
  2. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

The problem is the tremendous temptation to trade down for a great return. But, its pretty clear that Sam can't succeed, at least with the Jets. I sadly see no alternative than to draft a QB at 2.

REVISion likes this.
  3. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

With all due respect to the "trade out of 2 and stockpile picks/players" crowd....we NEED a QB...that can not be disputed....the NFL is a QB-driven league now more than ever, and it is only going to keep trending in that direction. The single biggest thing any organization can do to ensure long-term success is to draft a young, franchise QB. We HAVE to roll the dice on one of these QB's (Wilson is and has been my preferred choice all along) with the number 2 pick. All jokes about the Jets ineptitude aside, the opportunity to draft in the top 2 just does not come along that often. We have to take the chance that one of these top qbs is going to be an elite signal caller/future HOF'er.....bc IF we hit, we are set for the next decade +. To HomeOfTheJets' excellent point, we simply can't pass up that rare opportunity.

4. patleahy

Excellent point REVISion. Occam's Razor...the simplest explanation is often the correct one. We need a QB....we are drafting No. 2 overall, which is just about the best position u can be in, any given year, to draft one of the best college QBs available....we need to draft a QB with that selection. Seems pretty simple to me.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Pat I think there is some disagreement that drafting a QB at 2 increases the chances of hitting on a QB much more then at 10. History shows the first pick is the best value, while the second and third, not so much. If you don't have the 1st pick it really becomes a crap shoot all around the top 10.

This years 1 is Lawrence. The rest are far from safe bets.

blackssmagic and patleahy like this.
  6. patleahy

Ouchy, I can understand and appreciate what you are saying, but I am a Wilson guy. I honestly believe that Wilson is going to be a better pro QB than Lawrence (and have been saying as much since November)...and he is definitely going to be gone at number 10. I think that Wilson is the best QB in this year's draft...and I honestly wouldn't want ANYTHING to do with Fields, Lance or Mac Jones, so for me, we have to stay put at number 2 and just select Zach.

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I hear ya. Look at me with Smith. It can be easy to get hyped and think a player is a sure bet. At that point I think we just have to consider opportunity costs of what is best for the team.

8. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

When you need a qb more than any team in the league, and if you do not think it is worth drafting a qb at 2 . Why would you think someone else is going to pay a ransom for that qb? Philly and Carolina can just sit back and see what happens. If we do not draft a qb at 2 and can not find a trade back partner, then it becomes harder for the fins trade back at 3 . They take either Sewell, WR or Pitts. Who knows what Atlanta does, Bengals no qb, Wilson could fall to Eagles and Fields to Carolina and they have to give up no draft cap. This is a bad draft to have those top 5 picks. There is not a Chase Young or great player that stands out. There are a lot of really good players Sewell,Pitts, Smith, Chase that people are comfortable in the 5-10 pick range

9. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

Of all the franchises we admire for being successful and well run, how many of them picked a QB in the top 10?

How many of them got their QB at pick 23 or later?

Of all the franchises we consider trash, how many of them got their FQB in the top 5?

I’m OK with whatever JD decides is best but if we trade out of 2, we are likely picking 4 or 5 times in the top 45 this year going into the 2022 draft with 3 or 4 picks in the 1st. That shoulda like a good foundation to me.

We got JD in part bc of his history as a scout, I believe we should let him show us his eye for talent.

blackssmagic and James Hasty like this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I'm sure all of that has been discussed and rehashed 3 dozen times already.

REVISion likes this.
  11. boozer32

If they stay with Sam then Pitts should be the pick after a trade down.

blackssmagic and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'm in the trade down crowd but even I think the trade value many posters are assigning the #2 is way too high. There will be a lot of interest, but its going to take a Mac to step forward to give us some of the offers I've seen suggested.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well, in my opinion the best franchises rarely if ever get to pick in the top ten, while crappy franchises pick in that range all the time. The difference is simply this, better franchises have a better system, a better GM, and a better coaching staff that knows how to develop players and puts them in a position to win. We have not had that situation in almost 20 years. Last year, the CS reached an all time low even by Jets standards. I'm hopping we finally got that piece right.

14. boozer32

It's just not that easy. The successful QB thrive because they went to a system that fits them. Roethlisberger was drafted in the first round. Drew Brees did not look good with the Chargers. He gets traded to New Orleans and Sean Payton and he's a world beater. That is what the Jets have got to figure out. This new staff comes from one of the most successful franchises going back to Bill Walsh.

ouchy likes this.
  15. ZachMFWilson

Carolina lost 5 games by 5 points or less with a QB so bad, we didn’t even want him.

5 extra wins puts them in the playoffs. Carolina absolutely needs a QB more than we do.

If you were a Panthers fan, would you give up 2021 1st and 2nd and 2022 1st to go get the QB of choice?

16. ZachMFWilson

Many “experts” seem to think the LaFleur system is a good fit for Sam...

Brees went 8-8, 1-7, then 12-4 with the Chargers. I feel like he turned a corner before he got to NO but we can add NO to the list of teams who didn’t draft their QB in the top 5.

I honestly haven’t looked into the the answers of my 3 questions but I’m pretty sure 50% of us don’t believe in history, research, science or math.

#76 ZachMFWilson, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    blackssmagic and boozer32 like this.
  17. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I was on the keep Darnold and don’t draft a Qb this year bandwagon.

I don’t think Darnold is damaged beyond repair.

I do think with weapons and protection be can develop into a top 10-15 starter.

With that, Wilson is the best Qb in this draft and has “it”... he’s got a much tighter throwing motion, release and accuracy vs Darnold... better ability to see the field, go through progressions and he’s just all around more fluid. I would say these same things comparing Wilson to Lawrence...

If you want to pass on Wilson to keep Darnold, be ready to have the same sinking feeling when the Jets passed on Mahomes in a few years.

18. boozer32

Not at all upset isn't that what Jets fans have been waiting on for the last 50 years a Super Bowl win.

19. boozer32

I think it will be also.

20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

No, the "opportunity cost" is the boatload of picks you'll need to use to trade up next year or whenever you decide to try and draft a FQB.

NCJetsfan likes this.