SOJ thought on the big decision at QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Mar 24, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's sad how many posters here obviously would be happy with mediocrity, and have such low bars.

ColoradoContrails and Rockinz like this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We traded three second rounders to move up for the golden boy and now he is "the worst starting QB in the league".

I can already guess what you would say about Zack Wilson over the next couple years if we drafted him.

After Lawrence is gone the other QBs are a crapshoot as is Sam Darnold.

If we give Sam a pass for the horrible coaching and lack of supporting players you could easily make the case that Sam has as much chance to succeed as Wilson, Fields, etc.

If you can buy into that line of thinking it is very easy to see that other teams are willing to bet much more draft capital on # 2 than Sam making the trade down a pretty easy decision for us to make.

Teams like the Eagles, Redskins, Bears, etc. are in worse shape than us because coming out of college Sam was highly rated, much like the other bums you guys want to draft at # 2.

3. NCJetsfan

The Jets would not be mortgaging their future on the #2 pick. That's ridiculous! Your reasoning is a fail.

4. NCJetsfan

Exactly! While Pitts is a great prospect, he has concussion issues. He could suffer a concussion or two his rookie season and be done, and most people wouldn't even draft a TE in the 1st round.

ColoradoContrails and azhar80 like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

It's amazing how many posters here are blind and fearful, and just don't understand the game and how important QB is.

6. NCJetsfan

I'm with Colorado. I've been following the Jets since 1965 when they drafted Namath. I'm also a Yankees fan. Mickey Mantle was my "hero" when I was a kid. The Yankees weren't cowards when I was young, then when CBS bought them, they went the mediocre/cowardly route. Then Steinbrenner bought them. Even though he was a jerk, they won, he had balls and they went for it and won. IMO any team that is willing to take the easy or "safe" route isn't worth following or rooting for.

I've had it with losing and mediocrity. If JD doesn't have the balls to try to lead this team to greatness, then damn him and this franchise. They can shut it down. I'd rather them do that than see them take the cowardly way out and just settle for mediocrity. The saying, "No guts, no glory" didn't come about for no reason.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

If you were Sam and you had a very good year in 2021, and the Jets had shown that they didn't believe in you and refused to pick up your 5th year option, would you want to sign with them? Almost certainly, your agent wouldn't. He'd know that in FA you could make a lot more than you could with the Jets and maybe wind up in a better situation. He could just walk in FA, and then we'd have no QB, and with the good players added in FA and the draft, we'd be drafting a lot lower next year, and have little or no chance to get an elite QB prospect.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Your point basically comes down to "it's bad if the QB we take busts" uhhh agreed? I'm not sure what your point is.

I don't give Sam a pass for the bad situation. I've known he was bad since halfway through the 2019/2020 season, so I've been watching him with all the excuses in mind for a solid 1.5 seasons. He shares plenty of the blame. Unless of course you think the coaches were telling him to throw into triple coverage, run out of bounds behind the LOS for self sacks, miss open receivers etc.

azhar80 and cval like this.
  9. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

At this point this would also be my absolute dream scenario if we could just make some trade partner behave themselves, trade our pick down for more picks and magically be able to get Pitts out of the deal as well.

I'm sure we won't be that fortunate so it probably is literally a dream scenario but that would be a big score for this franchise.

blackssmagic and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  10. Poetry in motion.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  11. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

When you have only 23 wins in 5 years mediocrity is a HUGE leap forward.

12. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

Why could he make ALOT more than he could with the Jets? NY is a huge market alot of commercial oppurtunaties etc. Aaron Rodgers makes $33 million this year. You think Sam is going to get that after this year? He will be lucky to get over 25 million in free agency and thats ONLY if he has a HUGE year.

13. cval

cval Well-Known Member

With a today's salary cap and FA you most definitely can. You just made it a little harder but it is possible. If you stay with Sam and he sucks again when will you have a chance to draft that high again. You may get lucky and draft a QB late first or early second but we have tried that for years. When and if Sam fails again it is most likely back to the rent a veteran QB until you find your long term solution. The Jets do not get lucky the Cowboys with Dak or Romo or the Seahawks with Russell we get Hackenberg and Bryce Petty. When we do finally draft a competent QB he blows out his shoulder.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The Godfather hands down. The answer to your dilemma is hoping someone makes JD an offer he can not refuse.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

What open receivers?

Who did we have that could get separation while Sam danced around trying to avoid tacklers behind his paper thin offensive line?

blackssmagic and Freddy Mondo like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Good heaven this fan base is getting more tense by the day. April 29th could have the largest number of TGG posts ever for one day. Will this site go into overload and self destruction mode if the Jets do not select a QB in the first round? Stay tuned.

REVISion likes this.
  17. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Ran 4.4 the other day. Concussions are serious. Q. had one in the Rams game. If they don't pick Pitts that will not be the reason.

blackssmagic likes this.
  18. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We had plenty of open receivers who Sam either didn't see at all or missed when trying to throw to them. What incentive would I have for making this up? I've been watching the games very closely for the last 2 years trying to separate things that are Sam's fault and things that are not. He shares PLENTY of blame.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The point is that the #2 pick is a lot of draft capital to risk on an unproven QB who has several concerning red flags. Its not that we are undervaluing the QB position. Its that some are undervaluing the #2 pick, while over rating its power to pick a winning QB.

Taking a QB at 10, or somewhere else around there, is considerably less risky and offers the return of extra picks to build a good football team.

#59 ouchy, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We'll go into overload mode long before that. :)

REVISion and LAJet like this.