SOJ thought on the big decision at QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Mar 24, 2021.

1. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

None of those teams picked their FQB in the top 10. Only 1 got theirs in the first round.

ouchy likes this.
  2. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

only 35 years and i regret most of it. Im spoiled because most of my teams have been very good. Im a Yankees and Spurs fan so Im used to winning. The Jets are my one sore spot when it comes to sports. I cant even imagine being a Knicks, Mets, Jets fan. Thank god I didnt like nba before I moved out of NY.

3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

That's the key right there. The Jets blew it at QB in this draft cycle when they lost the chance to get Lawrence. Everyone after TL has serious question marks and they're not even as highly rated as last year's QB draft class by many.

To answer your question I'd roll with Sam for a 1 year trial because he now has a competent coaching staff for the first time in his career. I think he's going to surprise with LaFleur this year but we'll see.

Furthermore, I don't want to reach for one of the non-TL QB's when we have a chance to fill several major position holes on our roster in a trade down scenario.

One more year of Sam will hurt a lot less than not having the opportunity to seriously upgrade the talent level at multiple positions on this roster for years to come. That's the window we may have this year only, hopefully.

4. Yankee6

You cant miss twice with QB picks in the top 3 and expect to recover from that anytime soon.

BrooklynJetsFan likes this.
  5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It's not just one pick. It's QB and you better be damned sure you're rolling with him for many years to come. With this current crop coming out not named TL? No thanks. Been there, done that with the Jets. Reaches at QB are way too risky. It's mortgaging the future when you can seriously upgrade the overall roster for the first time in a long time.

6. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

If we stick with Darnold,I am sure we ll see some improvements. How much better will he be? Will he get to Tannehill level? Possible. I would be thrilled. Allen level? Nope he ll never get there due different style. Watson level? Nope can’t throw like Watson.

7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Greedy, after 50 years of misery I just want to see a Championship in my lifetime.

8. Yankee6

So from what i have read we only pay Sam about 10 million next year if we decline the 5th year option which would be about 25 million. Why not just do that and then if by some miracle we actually want to keep him just negotiate a contract then. Its doubtful that no matter how good he plays that hes going to command much more than the $25 million anyway. If he does thats great because it means hes ballin.

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The opportunity cost is the boatload of picks you could get in a trade.

The #2 overall pick in a QB heavy draft is not just one pick.

blackssmagic and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Almost every prospect has questions, that's not a reason not to take one entirely. That's what scouting is for. If you wait for a QB without questions you'll go decades without getting one. They show up about once every 10 years and it's unlikely you'll draft #1 the year they do.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Those here who advocate there is no QB worth the second pick, also attest that we could get a load of picks by trading down. My question is how is that possible? If no QB is worth it, why would any team trade up such capital for? A LT? Or could it be that most teams in need of a QB see plenty of value at 2, and if so, why not us?

#31 LAJet, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  12. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I have actually watch a fairly good amount...his 1st 2 seasons either were mediocre at best or injured. He can throw all the passes he wants but if he lands on IR or sucks it doesnt matter in my view. He had 1 good year, free of injury and completed all the passes needed

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

i'd be happy if they're just competitive for 8-10 consecutive years

Yankee6 likes this.
  14. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is especially a good point because we currently have the worst starting QB in the league. We have a greater need at the position than any other team (literally) and we shouldn't just keep it and draft a QB? I just don't get it.

patleahy and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Holy shit, I go back and forth on draft a QB/stick with Sam than I do deciding whether The Godfather or Goodfellas is the best mob movie ever...

Yankee6 likes this.
  16. Yankee6

Both all time classics for sure, but its gotta be Godfather.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO Wilson is already a better QB than Sam. I'm not worried about him at all.

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

For me, whichever one I am watching is the better flick...

19. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Yes, it will hurt if that new QB doesn't pan out, but I think he'd have a very difficult time being worse than Darnold. One thing is for certain, that new QB would be coming into a much better situation than Darnold did with a better team around him. There is stability. JD has 4 more years on his contract and things are going well. Saleh and LaFleur will probably be here unless LaFleur gets a HC gig in a couple of years. We have the best and deepest WR corps that we've had in as long as I can remember. The OL should be better with year's experience together, Becton with a year in the NFL, and the new system and blocking scheme will supposedly be easier/better on the OL. I imagine that JD will draft an OG pretty high and Cam Clark may win a starting job. It's a QB-friendly offense. We have a DL that should create more 3 and outs and TOs by opposing offenses. We should have a LOT better coaching, and the team more prepared each week.

What will hurt worse is if we pass on taking one of the top QBs, roll with Sam, he plays as poorly as normal, and several of the QBs we passed up on go on to be FQBs. We'll not only have wasted another year, but it will be infinitely harder and more costly to get a QB, and chances are we won't even have a shot at an elite QB prospect, we'll have to settle for some second or third tier QB prospect or sign a JAG veteran. That would undermine our entire rebuild since QB is the most important position and has the greatest impact on how good a team is.

20. NCJetsfan

No, it isn't, and we won't have to pay Sam the $25 million because JD is not picking up that 5th year option unless he's brain dead.