SOJ thought on the big decision at QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Yankee6, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

I just had a terrible thought. What if EITHER decision we make is the wrong one? Its not hard to imagine staying with Sam and him continuing to suck OR going with Wilson and him turning out to be no better than Sam. If it happens with Wilson its even worse because we might not know for 2 or 3 years. Alot of people like Bill Parcels think Sam has it and we should stay with him, but I dont see it so Im hoping we go with Wilson and he turns out to be at the very least above average so he can give us the chance to win.

2. nyjetsgreen

nyjetsgreen Active Member

I might be one of the few on this board but outside of Lawrence I'm not big on any of these QBs Wilson wasn't even considered a top 5 prospect until this year. He was hurt year before had better competition I really don't think he would have the year he did if it wasn't for Covid forcing them to schedule weak opponents think this draft in the top 5 is loaded with Weapons Smith, Waddle , Pitt, Chase thats what the Jets should go after dont see any of these QBs leaps and bounds over Darnold except for Lawrence.

amuck57, alleycat9, Royal Tee and 8 others like this.
  3. Vinco

Vinco New Member

As much as I want a new QB, we lose a lot less by sticking with darnold for another year vs wasting the number 2 on a bust in that scenario. There are some really good players we could get in the top 10 and beyond by trading back.. I'd still draft a qb in round 2 or so to push sam/potentially beat him out

amuck57, AJW, azhar80 and 4 others like this.
  4. Yankee6

I guess its less risky to pay Sam the 25 million this year and then if he still sucks draft a QB in the 1st rd next year unless the Jets are totally in love with Wilson.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

That’s the rub here....Fields and Wilson both have questions....they will be drafted early because QBs always are, but they are not slam dunks by any means

on the other hand, pretty much ALL prospects have questions....there are very few that are slam dunks....the last one was Luck...then you can look at Peyton, Elway, maybe several others but not many

this will be JD’s big decision...are any of the non Lawrence QBs better than Sam? Or more specifically, would we be better off with either Fields or Wilson or Lance or Jones on a rookie deal, vs Sam with more weapons (either from drafting at 2 or trading down for more picks)

multi million dollar question there

cval, NCJetsfan, barfolomew and 2 others like this.
  6. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

LOL, JD had to have taken this guy for a reason right?? I'm so torn. At this point I am on the trade down and don't draft a QB wagon I think but if we go QB I'd take Wilson at 2.

7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Two words. Opportunity cost.

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If Wilson or Fields turns out to be a stud but we use the extra picks to win a SB with Sam how upset would you be about missing out on a HOF QB?

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

The year Sam was drafted every one of the QBs had questions and risks, including Baker, and certainly Josh and to a lesser degree Sam. So go figure. We will have the same situation next year, and the year after that, and so on. And if the new A. Luck pops up, well forget it, because you have to have the number 1 pick to get him. So where do we go from here if Sam fails this year?

11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, how do you know that the QB taken with the #2 pick would be a bust? That's what you said above, with certainty. Of course if you knew the QB taken at #2 would be a bust you wouldn't take him! DUH! But that's the issue: we don't know.

But here's something you can do to clarify the uncertainty: go back and look at all the tape on Darnold and the expert breakdowns of his game in college, and then do the same for Wilson (or whomever your favorite QB is this class), and then ask yourself: If they were both coming out now, which one would I take? I won't try to answer for you. If you still think Darnold has better talent than Wilson, then your choice to stay with Darnold now makes sense. But for me - and a lot of highly regarded analysts - Wilson is clearly better in comparison to Darnold. Of course that doesn't mean Wilson will succeed either, after all Sam is a pretty low bar, but it does argue for moving on from Sam.

NCJetsfan, Noam and REVISion like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

I'd still think it was the wrong decision for the long term health of the team. IDK how much longer I'll be alive, but what I want is for the Jets to build a dynasty, not get into a SB or even win one and then slide back into mediocrity or even just above average.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  13. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

CC, I will be upfront, I am in the trade back to 4 or 5 and pick up Pitts more than anything else right now. With that being said, Wilson is a one year wonder to this point. This is the only season the kid did anything....I dont like the thought of drafting a kid at #2 who has 1 good year of play

Pepsiguy5, Yankee6 and westiedog1 like this.
  14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

It's a lot less risky to stick with Sam on a 1 year trial than mortgage your roster future on a QB boom/bust. I'm firmly in the "trade back and upgrade overall roster talent" camp.

15. Yankee6

not me, at this point after suffering for so long im fine with even being mediocre!

16. ColoradoContrails

IDK how you can say that. He played all 3 seasons (he's a Junior). He's thrown more passes than any of the other top QBs. Have you even watched any video on him?

And taking a TE in the first round, let alone in the top end of it, is the definition of overdrafting.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Sam has statistically been the worst QB in the league the last 3 years. QB is by far the most important position in the sport. And you think it's less risky for us to stick with Sam than to have our pick of the first non-Lawrence QB in the draft?

The odds of Sam improving enough to be our long term answer are very slim. Even if he has a great year would you feel comfortable paying big money to a guy with 3 awful seasons and 1 good one? What do we do about our QB situation then? Pray we finish last in the league and are drafting #1 next year?

I'm sorry but sticking with Sam makes absolutely no sense.

18. ColoradoContrails

IDK how long you've been a Jets fan, but I'm coming up on 60 years and I've seen the mediocre and slightly above average years, while a few teams like the Steeler, Cowboys, Patriots, Seahawks for Christs sake!, Packers always seem to be in the hunt. Even when they aren't they quickly retool and get back in it.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

How is taking a QB at #2 "mortgaging your roster future"? It's one pick. Even if you want to say "Well we can trade it for at least three good picks" you're not guaranteed to hit on all three. And then when you finally do decide to try and draft your FQB how much do you think you'll have to "mortgage" to move up to get him?

cval, NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  20. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

It’s a total of $25mm for the 2021 and 2022 seasons... we get him weapons and protection; if he still sucks I’m sure the new QB would appreciate the weapons and protection.