Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance (Volume 2)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by boozer32, Mar 1, 2021.

?

What do you pick?

1. Fields

15.8%
  2. Wilson

50.0%
  3. Darnold

17.5%
  4. Other - Explain

7.0%
  5. Watson - Up to 3 1st's.

9.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Darnold sucked because the arm fairy caused simple throws to be lobbed over the receiver by 10 yards. The coaching & ownership did not cause his slow progression of reads, lack of accuracy & disappearing act after the first drive. Can he improvise? Can he switch plays up? Can he run? Is he smart enough to play the position at a high level?

Ownership paid his butt a ton of money and he was embarrassingly bad for 3 seasons. Now, all of a sudden Darnold is the second coming of Super Bowl Sammy Jesus. Sure. Time to dump.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I think protection is paramount for rookie QB's because it essentially slows the game down for them. Weapons are super important too but I'd rather make sure the OL is set and then go from there. Thinking we could get a really good guard or two late in the first/early second round.

3. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Wilson or Fields.. Fields or Wilson.. fucking idiots winning those 2 games.. I’m literally going back and fourth.

Here’s the thing I’ve watched every run/throw both QBs have made last year and this year and it’s a real tough choice. You can make an argument either way. One thing is for sure I’m taking either over Sam “ghost” Darnold!

This is my evaluation on both Wilson and Fields prior to their pro days. The pro day will confirm the measurables and what was seen on tape.

Justin Fields:
    Positives - Athleticism through the roof, extremely tough, extremely durable, built to withstand the punishment, a gamer, strong arm, excellent deep ball accuracy, looks to pass first but isn’t afraid to make plays with his legs, has touch on 20-35 yard passes, has zip on intermediate throws, hard to tackle inside and outside the pocket, good footwork, solid record as a starter, 5 star recruit, no off the field issues, leader, commands the huddle and makes players around him better. Reminds me of Cam Newton/Big Ben when they were coming out.
    Negatives - Long throwing motion, not very twitchy, can be a statue, makes questionable decisions with the football under pressure, holds the ball low with one hand, in accurate on passes between 5-15 yards, holds the ball to long, throws with little anticipation and waits for receivers to break on their route, can be rattled in games vs good defences, doesn’t work through progressions quick enough, couldn’t beat out Fromm and relies on playing hero ball with his athleticism to mask his deficiencies as a pocket passer.

Zach Wilson:
    Positives - incredibly live arm, throws off all platforms, has zip, has touch, very quick release, natural throwing motion, excellent footwork, incredibly accurate on all 3 levels (short/intermediate/long),can make throws running left or right, uses his feet to make big plays in man coverage, total gamer, has fire in his belly, makes players around him better, hits tight windows and most of all throws with anticipation at a high level. Reminds me of Aaron Rodgers for real.
    Negatives- Looks smaller than 6’3 210, more like 6’2 190, doesn’t have a cannon of an arm, missed a few Hail Marys short of the goal line, has had an injury to his thumb and shoulder on his throwing arm, needs to be able to read zone defence better with a 4 man rush, didn’t play with or against high end talent, needs time to develop into a pro not a day 1 starter.

So pick ur poison fellas on one hand you have the athletic freak with incredible durability and size that has issues reading defences or the extremely talented, gunslinger with huge upside and a checkered injury history?

4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

All good points Rockinz.
    I prefer a QB that can run. Another reason why I prefer not to see Darnold.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I think you may be right about 6'2", but I would be shocked if he is below 215. That's 25lb higher than what you are thinking and is about the size of Watson. We will find out this Friday during his pro day.

As far as throwing hail Mary throws on the goal line, these are called hail Mary throws for a reason. It doesn't mean he can't throw farther, we've seen him do that and complete these. He just threw where he felt his guys would have a chance to catch the ball. They catch it on the goal line, it's a TD. Maybe he miscalculated by a yard or so. But this was not balls to the wall the farthest throw he could make, and he went 50 yards. I am really confident arm strength will be his strength in NFL. Here is a 60 yard accurate pass, not accounting for diagonal trajectory.

Also read this, these are the farthest throws QBs in this draft class ever made in their careers. Yes, Zach registered the farthest one. He is also the most accurate at 20+ yards downfield.

6. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Zach- 65 yard passes effortlessly on the dime

REVISion and Rockinz like this.
  7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I said:
    "It's like do you even watch? Are you living in reality? "

and THAT'S your answer. LMAO.
    Like I said, people just make shit up in some fantasy world to try and justify something.

8. Big Derty

Big Derty Active Member

Trade down from 2 and get the maximum amount of 1st and 2nd round picks you can in 2021 and 2022
    By 2022 we will have added high end talent to a team that desperately needs it. Give Sam his last chance this year and we will enough ammunition to get whatever QB we want next year if Sam shits the bed.

QB this year is not the move - what is the rush?

9. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Going into the College Football Playoffs many pundits had Lawrence and Fields ranked 1a and 1b, then the media machine kicked in (and people started changing avatars from Fields to Wilson).
    If BYU had at least played against equal talent, we could confidently say "Wilson is the guy", but the reality is we were watching the equivalent of a varsity squad against a bunch of JV squads and that skews the ability to accurately evaluate the prospect. It's hard for me to get on the Wilson bandwagon because of that disparity in talent.

10. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

The same could be said for many great QB over the years.

Many have come from smaller school/leagues.

The best to describe it was Chris Simms. When you see perfect throws after perfect throws, it does not mater if it's D1 or D2 or whatever. It is easy to replicate that to the NFL. Also more prestigious program have way better talent too and that level dominance is not going to translate to the NFL.

Pat Mahomes, Josh Allen, Aaron Rodgers and Ben Roethlisberger are proof that you don't need to be a national championship winner to compete in the NFL.

Pundits are casual fans too. They watch the National game too and build their ranking based on hype. Then when they start talking with scout and NFL uper management they start hearing more of the other player like Wilson. They adjust their ranking coincidentally because they have no visibility on all college QB.

Mahomes was also considered not too far from the draft by pundits and casual as a Mid round draft pick until they picked him up from scout and moved him in the first round. If we were in 2017 draft you would say the exact samething.. who is this Mahomes guy? Nobody talk about him and now he is a top 10? All based on media hype...

https://www.businessinsider.com/andy-reid-patrick-mahomes-hype-gm-brett-veach-2020-2

#550 Kryoptix, Mar 24, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Brook!, Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You guys get so upset over Cimini all the time it's unbelievable. The guys just providing the information and you're mad at him about it lol.

Ralebird likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Arm strength is not equal to throwing the ball far. There aren't a ton of opportunities to outright heave the ball 60 yards in the NFL anyway because of pressure.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Here's a video of Mac Jones's - remember him? - Pro Day:

Mac Jones FULL Pro Day Highlights: Every Throw - YouTube

It has Daniel Jeremiah whose opinion I respect. It doesn't have much in the way of breakdown or any slow mo really but it's useful as a "gather an impression" I think. He misses quite a few throws, but as Jeremiah points out, working with guys he isn't familiar with has to be factored in. The two things I take from this are:

1. This wasn't part of the video, but Jones was quoted as saying that he wasn't happy with his performance, and I like that. It reinforces his reputation as a perfectionist, and I have no doubt whatever team winds up with him is going to get someone who never stops trying to improve.
    2. Jeremiah said he'd rank Jones slightly behind Burrow in processing ability, which is a strong indicator of successful QBs.

Judge for yourself.

EDIT:

IMO I would be happy to get Jones if Douglas decides to trade back. I think he probably would need to sit a year, but maybe not., I also think that he would do great in a SF-type offence )See Boozer's post over in the Draft Forum on this). Jeremiah has him going 28 to the Saints.

Borat likes this.
  14. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Pitts is a huge part of the O-Line. Also creates deception and keeps defenders from stacking the box since they have to be wary of the quick pass to the TE or a WR. We wouldn't know this since we can't have good things at the tight end position.

We can still get guards throughout the draft and after cuts. That position is not that difficult to fix, TE is extremely difficult especially when you have someone as talented as Pitts. There aren't any players like him.

A rookie guard in the late first/early second is usually not doing much protecting in year 1 anyway. A great TE can come in and produce, making the rookie QBs job much easier. We have 2 firsts in 2022. Plenty more guards are available then and most likely no TE like Pitts. You have to be opportunistic.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I definitely prefer a QB who can run too, and that's one of the reasons I was so attracted to Lawrence and Fields early, then Lance. Since then, however, I've seen what Wilson and Jones have to offer with accuracy, the ability to read Ds, make good and quick decisions, and get the ball out quickly. Wilson is more mobile that Jones, so Wilson is my preference, but I don't want to see him running in the NFL if we draft him.

I think I could be happy if we draft any one of Wilson, Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Jones and Mond. I definitely prefer the first 4, but Jones is probably more NFL-ready than Lance, and maybe Wilson and Fields as well, but he doesn't have the arm strength that any of them have.

Right now my order of preference is as follows:

1. Wilson
    2. Fields
    3. Lance
    4. Jones
    5. Mond

but that could change again before the draft.

Borat and HomeoftheJets like this.
  16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I actually think he's gotten better compared to the late 2000's and early 2010's when he'd go out his way to point out something negative even when we won.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

I've watched Pitts for two years now and I was hoping he shit the bed this year so he could be had in the 2nd/3rd because he was just as good last year while he played with two different quarterbacks before Trask didn't give the starting job up.

I don't really know about the high drafted tightend. He's a spectacular athlete and pass catcher but so was OJ Howard, Ebron, the rapist, Engram, etc. If there's ever been a player that's worth it, it's him, but I'm a bit wary of him especially with the concussion history already.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Even in offenses that used a TE a lot, like the Patriots, and now Chiefs, the TE still isn't the primary receiver or weapon, so unless I was already a really good team that needed maybe one more weapon to get over the top, I wouldn't draft a TE in the 1st round.

19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

20. Jonathan_Vilma

And those two Hall of Famers were picked at 42/63. The Jets need to do some good due diligence on tightends. Kittle was 146.

I don't really like most of these guys this year outside of Pitts. I like the Ole Miss kid and Kylen Granson from SMU but I wouldn't take Granson until the 5th or later (very light, never blocked) and Yeboah prolly in the 4th.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.