DBs

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NCJetsfan, Mar 4, 2021.

1. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

This is on brand for us the past two years. Hall was a R1-2 guy with an injury who dropped. Bless was a R2-3 guy with an injury who dropped. Methinks Douglas has a type.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

douglas didn't draft bless. MT did

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Super Mike?

5. NCJetsfan

6. NCJetsfan

7. NCJetsfan

8. NCJetsfan

9. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

I don't think Farley is dropping past the 1st round. You don't let a potential pro bowl CB drop for a minor injury scare. I would consider us very lucky if he is available at 23rd.

10. NCJetsfan

Yes you do (let a CB drop) when you have a history of drafting D after taking a rookie QB. The Jets need new starting OGs. Hopefully, Cam Clark can win one of them, but he is unproven. We need Tevin Jenkins or Aliah Vera-Tucker starting at the other OG spot. CB can wait. That does nothing to protect or help the rookie QB.

We cannot make the same mistake that we did when we drafted Sanchez and Sam. The next two picks HAVE to be offense. Fuck CB.

11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Whatever history a team has in the draft is erased when a new GM takes over, at least in his mind and his is the only one that matters.

Oldrolloff likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't say that history is erased, or at least it shouldn't be. If a new GM doesn't learn from the mistakes of his predecessor, then he is doomed to repeat them, and more than likely, will ultimately fail.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Rachad Wildgoose CB
    5-11 197lbs
    Estimated draft round 5-7

[​IMG]

he's an inside slot CB who can play man or zone. he's more talented then his draft position will show. very similar to bless, hall, guidry, and jackson 4 current jets CBs. Wildgoose would make a great addition in the later rounds to our CB group

14. Ralebird

I'd like to see Douglas learn from his own mistakes and understand there is nothing that happened at the Jets in the past that is more relevant than what happened at the other 31 teams. There's plenty of NFL history he can learn from without worrying about Mark Sanchez.

15. NCJetsfan

Mark Sanchez isn't the issues so much as Mac trading up to draft the wrong QB, and then doing nothing to help him develop. He continued trying to win with D. He didn't draft any OL high, instead taking DL and Ss, and didn't draft any WRs high.

16. Ralebird

Of course Sanchez isn't the issue, but you mentioned him in trying to prove your point. Do you really think that MacCagnan was the only GM who ever made a bad trade or picked the wrong quarterback or a whole lot more bad decisions? The NFL is an encyclopedia of bad decisions and it's just as big as the encyclopedia of good decisions.

You need to stop living in the past as if the Jets past is the only one that has been awful. Here you are still lamenting that a few years ago not enough offensive linemen were picked. Why not give us your breakdown of Sonny Werblin's third round pick in 1967? Tell us about Tannenbaum's second year or Idzik's first while you're at it? It doesn't matter! It is in the past! You can't change it! Douglas had nothing to do with it! Get over it! Nothing a single one of them did will have an effect on the decision making process this year.

17. NCJetsfan

I disagree.

Instead of complaining about others' posts, why don't you try actually posting something of interest or merit? That would be a nice change for you. Contribute something positive. Instead of trying to pick arguments, fights all the time with various posters.

I don't live in the past. For you to suggest that I do shows how clueless and flawed your perception and reasoning skills are.

18. NCJetsfan

2021 NFL Draft: Buyer beware on Kadarius Toney, Gregory Rousseau and these other top prospects
    Despite being highly touted and likely top picks, these draft prospects are risky propositions

By Chris Trapasso

Mar 25, 2021 at 8:09 am ET5 min read

[​IMG]
    Getty Images
    It might take us a few years to realize it but at the outset of the 2021 NFL Draft, a small collection of picks will get selected much too early. Happens in every single draft class.

While I'm not insinuating these prospects are guaranteed to bust, they're just the most risky propositions who could still land somewhere in the first round or very early on Day 2. In my estimation, they'll have a difficult time living up to their draft positions. These are my "buyer-beware" prospects in the 2021 class.

Gregory Rousseau, EDGE/DL, Miami
    Why: Lack of pass-rushing moves; minimal leverage/power

Rousseau's production rightfully made him impossible to miss on the draft radar -- 15.5 sacks in a redshirt freshman season is tremendous. That, combined with being listed at 6-foot-7 and 260 pounds, Miami's youthful star appeared destined for the top 10, if not the top 5.

But, of course, draft evaluations aren't directly tied to statistics or height/weight measurements.

Upon further review, Rousseau's production wasn't a byproduct of super-polished hand work that led to clear one-on-one wins against offensive tackles. He often got to the quarterback well into the play thanks to impeccable coverage by Miami's secondary, or was the sack recipient of a teammate's initial pressure.

Trait-wise, Rousseau is undeniably long and decently explosive. Does he have pass-rush plans? Rarely, if ever. And because he's so tall, his center of gravity is naturally very high, meaning it's difficult for him to win the leverage battle and play to every ounce of his inherent strength.

Like in college, Rousseau's unique frame and first step could be difficult for guards to block on occasion. But many of those interior blockers are magnificently strong and built low to the ground. They'll get up and under Rousseau and stop him in his tracks before any disruption is created. As an edge-rusher, he doesn't possess the dip, bend, or power to win consistently around the corner.

Rousseau will probably still land in the first round. And whichever team ultimately picks him will likely be banking on its defensive line coach teaching him rush moves while he adds weight and strength as a pro. If I were a GM, I wouldn't be able to select such a raw specimen in today's rapidly moving NFL.

Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida
    Why: Route-running inefficiencies; dances too much after the catch

Toney is a blast to watch -- he's elastic with the football in his hands and when he pieces everything together, he's a highlight generator. And for as much as the NFL has become a "space" league on offense, Toney doesn't provide first-round caliber refinement as a receiver right now.

At Florida, he was utilized almost strictly in a gadget role, and he's much quicker than he is fast, which limits his big-play potential as a pro. Also, his creativity as a runner is a blessing and a curse. For every juke and spin through a tackle, Toney will simply try to do too much instead of making one cut and maximizing the yardage in front of him. That dancing mentality creates negative plays that had no business of being negative plays.

If a team picks him in Round 1, it'll likely be doing so largely because of the insane, bouncy YAC displays he showcased at Florida, especially in 2020. But for as good as he seems to be on the surface with the ball in his hands, Toney's not nearly as efficient as he should/could be in that department. And I don't know if that can ever be fully coached out of him.

Jayson Oweh, EDGE, Penn State
    Why: Limited pass-rush moves; doesn't play to his athletic gifts

Oweh improved every year at Penn State, and a No. 2 spot on Bruce Feldman's "Freaks" list before the season opened eyes in the scouting community -- there's no doubt about it, Oweh looks like he's already been in the NFL for a few years. He's chiseled with noticeable burst off the snap. There are moments of awesome bend, too.

Is he a dynamic hand-work player, the final element needed to emerge as a star at his position? No. Outside of an elementary swipe move, Oweh is exclusively an outside-speed-rush defender right now. And while he might test through the roof at the Penn State pro day, he doesn't look like a generationally gifted athlete on the field. Would I consider him one of the better athletes at the edge spot in this class? Absolutely. Does he look miles ahead of other top rushers? No.

Therefore, with Oweh, a team will be picking an unpolished rusher who might not be as flexible and twitchy on the field as he is during a workout. And those are the two reasons I wouldn't pick him in the first round.

Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
    Why: Lacking short-area quickness; doesn't have standout ball skills

When it comes to checking traditional boxes, Surtain checks them all. He has NFL bloodlines. He played at Alabama and got on the field in his freshman season. He's over 6-0 and 200 pounds with long arms. He's patient in press coverage.

But the draft is all about traits, and Surtain simply isn't a sudden, springy athlete. A decade ago, he would've had a much easier acclimation process to the league because size and rebounding skills were still clearly held in higher regard than separation skill at the receiver position. That's no longer the case.

Surtain is going to have problems with savvy veterans who can get a clean release off the line in a variety of ways and change directions in a flash. And while Surtain reeled in four picks and defended 24 passes over three seasons, there are too many instances for my liking in which he doesn't find the football as it's arriving, which leads to a completion that should've been knocked away.

I like Surtain -- he's a first-round prospect on my board. But I would not feel comfortable picking him in the top half of Round 1, and the top 10 is too high for him.

19. Ralebird

You disagree with what? You can't mean that Sanchez is relevant to a discussion about defensive backs today, can you?

You can claim you don't live in the past but how often do you mention all the past mistakes of past General Managers? It seems like you don't even recognize it yourself. The last message you left here before this one was about MacCagnan trading up to get "the wrong quarterback," not developing Sanchez, getting defense instead of offense. That was twelve years ago, man - twelve freakin' years. That's the past - let it go.

But I know that you like to tell others that they are clueless and unworthy of challenging your lofty opinions. Too bad. My "flawed reasoning skills" are good enough to understand that the past is the past and not a single thing that was done by a Jets General Manager in the past has anything at all with what Douglas is going to do now - there is no genetic predisposition to screw up via the office in which he sits.

And I'm sorry to tell you that just because you disagree with my opinions does not mean they are meritless. Maybe you're still pissed off that I called you out for being rude and disrespectful to a bunch of others here about a month ago; I did it calmly and without personally attacking anyone. You didn't respond to me (no surprise) but I believe you put out a general apology and cooled your Jets for a while. It made the board a better place to be.