Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

No one is going to trade up to 2 to just try and trade back down again. It's silly but they're also not enough time on the clock to orchestrate that.

Red Menace likes this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think the 49ers would give up 1,2,3 this year and 1,2 next for swapping to 12. Though maybe they would include a player for a little less?

However, my point was to stay in the top 5 and take Sewell if JD is going to take him anyways. I realize we can get a bounty if we step away from the blue chips. And I don't think Pitts will make it to 12 - or even to 8.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I get that a lot of fans (maybe even Joe/Saleh) have given up on Sam, thinking he stinks and will never be any good.

But in reality, the ONLY thing we know about Sam is if he plays behind the statistically worse o-line in football, supported by the statistically worse running game in football, and throwing to the statistically worse bunch of wide receivers in football, the MOST wins he can get is between 2 and 7.

You nor anyone else knows what he could do behind a top oline, supported by a top running game and throwing to top wide receivers. And supported on the other side of the ball by a top defense and good special teams. You don't know so stop pretending like you do.

Pepsiguy5, hornblower and ouchy like this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That may be true. You never know though. Atlanta is a question mark and on the verge of a rebuild of their own. If I were them and already wanting to trade down, I'd do it. Spend a 2 to get a couple firsts and seconds.

The point is, if JD is going Sewell, like some of us have started believing, then we might as well try and get an extra high pick.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Here is something that struck me last night.

Last off season JD made a promise to Sam, and his parents, that he would get Sam the tools to succeed. He tried - and failed. It wasn't completely his fault as Perriman and Mims were hurt for way too long. But Van Rotten, McGovern, Gore, Andrews, Clark, Kolamatargi, Perine were basically strike outs in getting Sam help. At the end of the day Sam had the worst supporting cast he's had in his career.

It doesn't mean Sam is our future but is does mean JD promised to give Sam help so he could at least perform well enough to increase his contract value down the read. We can hack on Sam, and point out his shortcomings all day, but he never had the situations most developing QBs had to succeed.

JD is still on the line for that promise.

Pepsiguy5 and Footballgod214 like this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

What about the numbers that show how he was bad even with a clean pocket. Or how he missed open receivers. The OL did play better as the season progressed.

7. Jonathan_Vilma

I've seen this referenced a bunch of times and all I ever think of is how big of a pussy Darnold is letting his boss talk to his parents that closely. Maybe it happens more often? This wasn't a rookie or prospect in the pre-draft process.

Idunno. It doesn't really matter, but I wouldn't have let that conversation leak as it feels soft to me.

NYCriminal, REVISion and Ralebird like this.
  8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Did Sam ask JD to talk to his parents, or was it JDs idea? I've never really thought of it that way. It seemed more like a "we are all a family" type move.

The larger point is, when you make a promise and don't deliver then your word becomes suspect. We could say, "well its not like he didn't try hard to do it". But then JDs building skills become suspect.

#1068 ouchy, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The biggest knock is he let a WR who Sam had chemistry with walk. He added a number of OL including Fant and McGovern who were solid, drafted Becton who played like the best OT in his class for many games. I guess he could've taken a second WR like Tyler Johnson, but at the end of the day, a QB needs to be able to find open receivers which Sam didn't on too many plays last year.

NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah I don't know who initiated it or whatever the idea was. But he's paid millions of dollars to play a game. The organization doesn't need to reach into the sentimental chest and protect mommy and daddy's little boy.

I want my quarterbacks a bit tougher than that.

cval likes this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

As you said, we don't know who initiated this conversation.

Maybe you want your GMs tougher then that?

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

And my question was, and still is, has anyone suggested that the Jets pick up the option and pay the $25 million? I still don't think I saw a single poster here advocate for that.

Having said that, the option for Darnold and all other applicable 2018 draftees were announced over a week ago and Darnold's would cost $18.858 million, not "EXACTLY" $25 million. I've seen no one suggest he's even worth that.

K'OB and Yankee6 like this.
  13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I get that too. But at the same time, Sam HAD to be a bit shell shocked after spending the previous 2 years running for his life. Sam may have already conditioned himself to throw the ball after no more than 2 seconds. 1.5 seconds if at all possible, before scrambling to the left or or right to dodge incoming 265 pound missiles trying to kill him. He never knows when the occasional 'clean pocket' will occur, and had already made up his mind to get rid of the ball as fast as possible.

If Sam had a whole season of playing behind a good oline where a clean pocket became the norm, he may become far more comfortable and confident back there.

But then again, he may still suck.

JD has a big decision coming up!

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

TBF, you can't really make a fair assessment on any aspect of his game given the horrible support he had, both in players around him and coaching. There's a "snowball effect" that comes into play. I'm not saying he didn't make unforced errors and nor had some badly thrown passes, and I'm not saying I'd rather have him than several of the QBs in this class (especially Wilson), but I still say he's much better than all the "Trash Sam" doubters here believe. Unless Douglas can get at least a 2nd for him, I'd keep him and let him compete with the (hopeful) rookie, and allow the rookie to sit for a while.

tomdeb and Footballgod214 like this.
  15. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

The jets are not getting a ton for the number 2 pick, the phins have the 3 pick and also want to trade back.

16. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

The phins wouls give up 3 for 1st and 2nd this yr and 1 next for San franciso

ouchy likes this.
  17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The phins cant guarantee a QB like we can. Nobody will give a lot to them for fear of our pick taking the guy they traded for. If they trade it will be the scraps.

18. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

What nonsense!

19. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

dude, WHAT?

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think it's a valid point. The guy is a former college player 2 years into his professional career, a public figure and also a millionaire, you have to wonder what situation would call for Joe Douglas to be speaking comforting words to Mommy and Daddy Darnold. The last time my mother spoke with one of my employers, I was in high school.

NYCriminal and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.