Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yep, so I get why some fans wanted the Jets to do a similar thing this off-season. As you said, it was the last fun season we have had as fans. 2016? Terrible. 2017? Terrible. 2018? Terrible. 2019? Terrible. 2020? The worst.

Joe Douglas is building the team the right way though. Through the draft. In the trenches. He would rather go (7-9) or (8-8) in 2021 building with his own guys, than go (10-6) with a bunch of vets and then flopping in 2022. He is setting the team up for future success. That is tough for fans to hear, since all the Jets have done is lose the last decade, but I think it is the right path and it will pay off in the end.

2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You can imagine a bettors frustration of going to overtime and moving towards a situation where they'd only need a field goal to win while laying 5 with Tulsa. And then Zaven Collins happened.

3. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

You think we could trade crowder and his 11 million salary for high picks or did I misunderstand your point?

Noam likes this.
  4. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

which pick do you want to spend on him? 23 or 34?

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I imagine you have to take him at 23 because I do not believe he gets past the Ravens or the Steelers. I believe he also double majored in college, graduated early, was a team captain and was also pre-med. If you watched any of their games the announcers get a chance to talk to the coaches and what not so they have content.

Every single time he comes up it's relayed from the coaching staff how he's one of those guys that is simply good at everything he attempts and incredibly smart.

I don't believe he'll fall far if/when teams get a chance to talk to him, even over Zoom.

I'm not huge on first round off-ball linebackers. But he has such a high floor that I think he's looking at a really good ten year career at the least.

The thing about Collins is that he can probably play with his hand in the dirt in a 4-3. Best fit is likely 3-4 edge, but he's rangy enough that I can see him play off the ball. So versatility is sometimes a knock because the jack of all trades in college struggle to be great at one thing in the NFL. But I'd take him and figure out his NFL strength later. Similar to what the Panthers did with Thomas Davis (safety to backer though) and the Vikings did with Anthony Barr.

#1665 Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Collins would be a great addition!

SOJAZ and mrjet80 like this.
  7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Positional value is a real thing. He’s not going 2, definitely going top 10 ,probably 4 to Atlanta would be his ceiling.

8. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

How are the Jets allowing the Giants to get all these players?

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Because the Giants are willing to have a low end WR1 have cap hits of $21 mil in 2022 and 2023 and we aren’t.

Noam likes this.
  10. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

I think that’s probably his plan. The bills made some very shrewd signings in FA after the first year, Beane calls them the “dust settlers” meaning that after the initial FA run is over and the big time players gone, you make some moves once the dust settles and asking prices come down. It would be smart for Douglas to do that, and I think he will, but with the money available I think he could have done both. We’ll see at the end, because there are still a few quality guys left.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Collins is awesome he’s on my radar at 23 for sure. The kid can do it all. There is a good chance he isn’t there at 23 but if he is I think he could definitely be in the conversation

mrjet80 likes this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Just to be clear - we like Collins at 23 if we aren't taking a QB at 2 - right?

13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I would hate the scenario of not taking a QB but let’s say we traded down to 8 and got Carolinas 1st, 2nd this year and 1st and 2nd next year; I could easily see them going Collins at 23 in addition to like a Pitts. The second round we could grab a guard and a corners and hit up receiver in the 3rd round or later.

themorey, FJF, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That makes good sense.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Once upon a time we took a chance on a high motor pass rusher from Tulsa. It worked out well until a sad rainy afternoon at the meadowlands against the Chiefs

SOJAZ likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

You can say that but you could also look at 1997/1998. Parcells came here and the list of FA/Veteran acquisitions was double the size of that list, including 2 HOFers in Curtis Martin and Kevin Mawae.

That worked out A-OK.
    --

Perhaps its not the blanket issue of free agency, its more so, a talent evaluation problem. ie... signing the wrong guys

NYCriminal and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I couldn't possibly agree more. Sadly, it was probably a wasted effort. We have a group of posters here that just don't get it. They view FA as an unnecessary evil.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think “build through the draft and don’t make splashes in free agency” is the new “you don’t take an RB in the first round”.

19. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I know we still got the draft coming but if the current team stepped out on the field in September given the current state of the AFC East and how the Bills and Dolphins are on the rise and the Patriots going all in in Free Agency i dont see a record better then 6-10 7-9.Not to mention the schedule is gonna be pretty tough.The Draft is going to have to be the best in Jets franchise history for this team to compete next season.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If you look at LeFleur's history, he is not an OC that features dynamic QBs or WRs. He is a run first gadget offense that focuses on winning the battle up front. We do not seem to be building an explosive offense, and we will likely never acquire a true #1 WR unless they come cheap. We are building a ball control offense that will be TE and screen heavy in the passing game. The FAs we are getting reflect this.