Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

So with Alabama the core talent is most important.

But with the Jets the QB is most important.

2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I'll take it further. I think if we took Smith he'd lead the league in both yardage and TDs. Even with Darnold throwing to him.

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Uh yeah, that's what I'm saying.

Alabama has more talent than every team they play every year. That's not consistently possible for NFL teams because of the salary cap, free agency and the draft. Being a good team in college increases your future ability to acquire young talent, being a good team in the NFL decreases your future ability to acquire young talent.

Are you honestly denying my initial point that QB is a more important position than WR? You need to take a step back and look at how ridiculous your love of Smith is making you.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This is the quote I responded to:
    An elite WR does less for wins and losses than a very good QB or even a good QB. By far.

That is not necessarily true.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Two reasons. One is that Mac Jones has many good teammates, not just Smith (for example, Jaylen Waddle and Evan Neal), so his numbers are inflated to the point that he probably isn't an elite prospect. And two is that not every NFL team needs a quarterback, so those teams should use their pick on someone of another position.

JetsKickAss likes this.
  6. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

Your post said has anyone suggested we pay him anywhere NEAR 25 million? Everyone who thinks we should keep him is suggesting we pay him EXACTLY 25 million because we have to. It was my belief you weren't aware of that is why I was jumping in here.

7. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Darnold will get traded after the draft...or during draft night.

8. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I'm beginning to think this is totally right. I'm sure JD has a ballpark idea of what folks might be willing to offer right now and he thinks that there's more out there possibly in time...NFL is such a weird "win now" business for most teams as I think it's the one major sport where you can literally turn a team around in a year if things go right. This seems to make teams much more willing to trade a "next year" pick for a "this year" return. So I do think there will be more out there closer to, if not on draft night as teams get more edgy and/or miss out on some lower level QB prospect they were eyeing etc...

Not to rehash but only the Jets could totally ruin the #3 pick by hiring such a colossally bad coach in Gase that going in to year four there's still doubt as to how much skill Darnold has to match his talent...leaving them in a position of not wanting to sell low in case he does reach his potential elsewhere yet not having conviction enough that he will to keep him around.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I'd be fine with the Jets trading down and taking a flyer later in the 1st on one of the QB's. This assuming that LaFleur thinks one of those guys is somebody special that he can work with for a year and roll out successfully in 2022. None of them other than Lawrence are ready to roll in 2021.

I'm also fine with the Jets trading down and taking one of the WR's or OT's or even (gasp) a CB with their highest pick. At that point they'd have probably 2 other #1's to work on offense with.

I'm not happy with the Jets taking anybody on #2 unless the Jaguars screw up and take somebody other than Lawrence on the #1. The #2 pick has too much value to sink into just a single player not named Lawrence. The Jets are much better trading it down in my opinion. Unless the Jags are idiots.

amuck57, JetsKickAss and tomdeb like this.
  10. Br4d

You do not need to take a QB on the #2 just because you do not have a QB.

We've gone over (ad nauseum) where the top QB's come from and the #2 pick is not in the roll call so far. The assumption that you have to take a QB when you are up this high completely ignores the fact that there may be no QB's worthy of the #2 pick available when you pick. It completely ignores the fact that teams regularly find franchise QB's elsewhere than at the tippy-top of the draft.

It completely ignores the fact that the Jets are likely to have a top 10 pick again next year whatever they do because they're not a very good roster at this point.

Bad teams take players because they "need" them. Good teams take players that are good.

ouchy and tomdeb like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I think taking a QB at 23 is a better idea then taking one as 2, but I still don't thinks is a good idea. IMO both number 1s should be used to build our young core.

If I had my druthers I'd talk to Atlanta to see if they want to trade down. If so I'd offer them the #2 pick for their second rounder. We'd pick up an extra pick while still staying in the top 5 and they could trade 2 for whatever bounty they can get. The pick would probably still be Sewell, but at least we get another high second.

12. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Chris Simms, who's been dead-on in recent years, swears he likes Wilson over Lawrence.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If you would give up the #2 for a 2nd rounder, I'm so glad you're not our GM.

14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Right now the Jets can play the hand that they may keep Sam. It helps with negotiations of a trade. Once Wilson or whoever is picked at #2 overall, the other teams will know the Jets have to make a trade. It would hurt the Jets position. They would have to bank on some team missing the QB they want and desperately attempting to trade for Sam. It could happen, but it is risky. I say trade him before the draft, once you are 100% sure you are taking a QB.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If the pick is Sewell anyways, why not pick up an extra 2nd rounder? Nobody in the top 5 would give more then a 2nd to us because there are 5 blue chips already available. Nobody in the top 5 has any incentive to trade up. If you want an extra pick and a blue chip your only getting a 2nd - at most. If JD is going Sewell its the best route.

Or we could take Sewell and get noting else.

#1055 ouchy, Mar 21, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  16. ColoradoContrails

No, you do not need to take a QB just because you don't have one. But if you need one, and you have the #2 pick, and there are 5-6 highly rated QBs available, it would be a prime time to take one - assuming of course that one of them graded out for you.

What you and the other "We can always get a QB next year" gang keep overlooking is that statement isn't true. Is it possible to be in a draft spot that you could get a FQB AND would there be a FQB candidate coming out then? Sure, anything is possible But, is it likely? No, not very.

Even if the Jets have a Top 10 pick next year, there is no assurance that there will be a FQB that they like available at their pick.

And BTW, "good teams" take players because they need them too. It's just that they have far fewer needs, and therefore have less chance of missing on getting the right players they need.

All this said, I personally don't think Douglas believes that he needs a great QB to win. I hope I'm wrong, but my sense is that I'm not, so you can rest easy in the strong possibility that he won't be "wasting" the #2 pick or even a first round pick on a QB.

REVISion likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

If I traded out of the #2 I want at least 2 first rounders this year, otherwise it's not worth it. I'd rather drop back to 8-12 to get what I considered fair value, while still having a great player available at that spot.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Has anyone heard any team express any serious interest in Darnold? Me either. It seems clear the market for Sam is pretty non existent. Think about it, we talk about replacing him with Betherd or Mullins - and we expect other teams to be excited to get him? We'll be lucky to get a 4th for him.

19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Great except I was talking about staying in the top 5 so that really doesn't address my point.

20. Br4d

The price of the #2 overall pick is going to be much higher than just a swap of 1sts and a high 2nd rounder.

I suspect that somebody will approach the Jets in the run up to the draft with a top 10 this year plus a top 10 second rounder plus 1st and 2nd next year.

There's always a sucker in the crowd somewhere and after you have stopped sucking it becomes easier to spot them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.