Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Considering we've been the fifth most active team in free agency and it's nowhere near over, it seems as though both strategies are being employed.

blackssmagic, SOJAZ, Brook! and 6 others like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that JD shouldn't allow players to use the Jets to get more money from other teams.

I hope that you're right regarding the Neal situation!

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Spot on. Way too many cavalier comments with none of the real facts behind it.

4. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

If we resigned Leonard Williams, J Adams, R Anderson, the guys along the o-line. We would have a more talented team with probably closely the same cap numbers if JD neg. right. Avery, and McClendon as well. Along with Maye, Q Williams, Mills, Becton. We have a great base and we are rewarding homegrown talent. No one around the league is saying R. Anderson, L> Williams or J Adams are not players with talent or problems that you would not want to build around. If we kept the guys JD inherited along the o-line it would have been better than the last two seasons and maybe we would have been able to save the number 1 asset that JD was supposed to save Sam. Sam would have had more weapons at wr, the defense much more assets and we would be a team with a solid base to build on. We now have CDavis , Lawson. Both ok players but neither are studs. I would take L Williams and Anderson over them any day. Our line two yrs ago and you add Becton. Wow. Anderson, Mims,Crowder we would have started to build something 1 yr ago.JD wasted a yr. We should have figured out Sam this past yr. If JD had a real set he goes to the Johnsons and says it is either him or Gase. Even if you believed Bell was a bust he was better than Gore.
    At the end of the day, JD is stuck between a team in the Jags with much more cap room to get any waiver picks and a fresh culture in warm Jacksonville and the fins right behind us in the early picks in the first two rounds with the same needs we have. The fins are playing with house money as they are able to sell the third pick , either Fields or Wilson. Fields could run a 4.3 , 40 td s and 1 int last yr and a win over Clemson this yr. Played national champion game hurt. Fields is the qb we should draft. Wilson might have a few good yrs but i believe he will be hurt a lot

#1604 Bellys Lies, Mar 20, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Truth is most of the FAs this year (and last year) won't even be on the team in 2023 when JD expects his Jets to compete at the highest levels.

Fans want a powerhouse NOW!!! "Why did JD pass on the top FA wide receiver???? Why did JD pass on the top FA guard????"

Here's why: JD isn't trying to buy a 2021 powerhouse to compete for the super bowl...that would be a fools errand. He knows our top #1 WR will come thru the draft. He knows the majority of our oline will come thru the draft. Yes, it's rare a player like Thuney breaks free, and JD made a run for him, but even with that JD kept his negotiations within reason. The only way Thuney would be good for the Jets is if he came at a fair price. He didn't. JD moved on. He has 2 more drafts to find his own Thuney. He didn't panic and overpay.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't know if any of you guys are watching the NCAA tournament but #3 on Abilene Christian looks like he could play a little bit of NFL guard if he's open to it.

blackssmagic and Bills over Jets like this.
  7. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

If by active you mean signing backup players or average players, then ok. I mean, the Texans signed like 22 guys, but they all suck. The jets have holes all over the place and the money and draft picks to fill them. I like the Corey Davis signing as a #2 receiver. There should’ve been another quality receiver signed (Cole is not a quality receiver). Where’s the multiple corners? Where’s the high quality edge rusher, or two? Lawson is ok. He got 5 sacks each of the last two years. Not exactly someone other teams need to worry about. There were better options (and maybe still are?). He’s nice as a part time player/pass rusher. Where’s the quality olineman? There were opportunities to add real difference makers at premium positions like CB, OL, edge and WR and really only one was addressed in Davis. Quality and quantity are different.

I’m sure some of those positions will be addressed in the draft but they should be addressed by both. If he’s going to rely on rookies at premium positions, then that signals a full rebuild, in which case why is Sam still on this roster then? It doesn’t make sense to me.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Please get the hell out with back up players references. Such shit. You mean there were not the glamour top of the line worthless shit we picked before that didn’t fit anything. These guy are perfect for this team moving forward. We might have not gone far enough but your analysis is BS.

9. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Jets over Bills

Dan Feeney, Lamarcus Joyner, Tyler Kroft, Justin Hardee, Keelan Cole are all backup players. I don’t know how you could think otherwise. Davis and Lawson will obviously start and do well. My point is there should be more of those types of signings and less of the backups.

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

By your own list, look at how many holes we have to fill. We cant get an impact player at all of those positions this season. We're starting with special teams and building out, which is a fancy way of saying we didn't get any other great players.

However, I have been informed that Cole is a mavin of a blocker and probably better then most utility receivers at being heavy. Davis is also a good blocker and has heaviness. We seem to value a wideouts blocking skills over their separation ability in our fancy new scheme. Which is great because...well its not that great. I love running as much, or more, then anyone. But I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to like Lefleur as our OC.

#1610 ouchy, Mar 20, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Would you rather JD wastes his draft on bench and depth players? Or maybe he can fill most of those slots through cheap 1 yr deals in FA and use the draft for his 3pt shooters.

LAJet likes this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

There you go again using logic.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  13. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This was Mike Maccagnan's literal strategy and he was one of the worst GM's in NFL history.

blackssmagic, SOJAZ, themorey and 5 others like this.
  14. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Absent the Clemson QB, by draft time the NFL consensus will be that Kyle Pitts is best player in the draft. If the Jets stay at #2 he's the pick because all the other teams behind them will take him if they pass.

SOJAZ likes this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Damned... well done

16. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Keenan Cole is in fact a skilled receiver. His 642 yards last season were his best since his rookie year in 2017. Additionally, Cole is a well-respected special teams player and notable for his expertise as a return man particularly the 91-yard punt return he took to the house last season. The Jets will likely use him often and his talents are a perfect fit for their new offense.

Carl Lawson is far from "okay". The Jets haven't had a decent edge rusher since John Abraham fifteen years ago, they've found their man in this highly regarded defensive lineman. Sacks only tell part of the story, 5 and half last year, but, the true measure of Lawson's ability can be found by noting the mighty 64 pressures and 32 quarterback hits he garnered last season. He led the NFL in QB knock-downs with 27 and his 64 pressures ranked fourth among all edge defenders.

Lawson will be plenty for "other teams to worry about". See you in Buffalo.

Go Jets.

blackssmagic, SOJAZ, Brook! and 7 others like this.
  17. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

I would still try to sign adoree jackson sherman and clowney so that the draft can be focused on offense just my 2 cents

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Now I remember why you were on ignore.

Back in the box, you go.

BleedJetsGreen1981 likes this.
  19. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Mike Maccagnan would agree.

FJF and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. Beki

Beki Active Member

Jets had 50M last year and 70M cap space this year. JD signed Corey Davis to 13.5M / year and Lawson 15M / year during first day of the free agency. There goes 28.5M from your cap space, leaving you with 42.5M cap space. Draft class require another 10-12M. Tell me where are the billion dollars you mentioned? Next time use your logic before posting this kind of idiot things.
    Ask our previous GM (Mr Maccagnan) what a good idea was to signing "quality FA's" and ignoring premium positions on draft...