Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

And when you don't get yourself a QB, it sets you back over 50 years now. We already passed on Mahomes and Watson, we'd be entirely wrong to do that again. And if whoever we take at 2 doesn't work out like Sam didn't, we try again in a couple years until we finally get one who's good. If Douglas is worth anything, he should be able to put together a decent roster by 2022 while taking a QB at 2 this year.

PJ4Ever, NCJetsfan, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Mitchell Trubisky says hello.

You think Zach Wilson is something special but his upside is likely to be Trubisky.

He had *one* good year in college during a season where Covid-19 made everything look strange. Without the disrupted season there is no way Zach Wilson is a 1st round pick, let alone a top of the 1st round pick.

You think Justin Fields is something special but his upside is likely to be Mark Sanchez.

He's had one and a half good years in college and a great bowl game. Without the disrupted season he might be going somewhere in the 1st round but he's not the kind of QB that NFL teams fall all over to draft. It's going to take a good team with a special plan for him to succeed in the NFL.

The other guys projected in the 1st round are just a joke. There's no way teams take them that high unless they for some reason see this particular draft as a crapshoot and devalue the picks accordingly.

After Lawrence the odds on any QB picked say the Jets blow the pick and wind up spending two years trying to make a square wheel roll in the NFL.

We've had a bunch of years when 3 or 4 QB's went in the 1st round and by and large the top guy was ok and everybody else stunk. Sometimes the last guy take was ok and everybody else stunk. That we've had a couple of seasons with 3 or 4 QB's recently where we got two or three good ones out of the mix doesn't tell us anything about this mix in front of us right now.

We're just as likely to Gabbert and Ponder staring at us as to have Mahomes and Watson. And BTW, Mitchell Trubisky - he was the guy at the top of the Mahomes and Watson draft. Not #1 but the #1 QB prospect that year according to the consensus. Blake Bortles was the top prospect in 2014, another draft that had TGGers spunking their pants for Teddy Bridgewater and Johnny Manziel and Derek Carr. A great class of QB's!!!

Not.

papapump, K'OB, tomdeb and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

However, because we have a second 1st and 2 1st next yr. It does not hurt as much if the guy is a total bust. Plus if we feel he is not going to work out and recognize it quickly we should be able to trade him for a 1st next yr. We need a qb more than anyone in the league, lets not get too cute

REVISion likes this.
  4. NYJ_Jax28

NYJ_Jax28 Member

Everyone has been up Trevor’s jock for the last 3 years, saying he’s the best QB prospect not only in this draft but possibly ever. Maybe it motivates Zach to outwork everyone because he hears that and hears the doubters. That’s what I’m saying. And based on his interviews, he’s already got that mentality. He studies tape on Mahomes and Rodgers and is obsessed with football. I’ve never seen that passion and intelligence out of our California kid. Sam is way too laid back. I’m tired of this surfer kid stuff, I want a gamer for once.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails and ouchy like this.
  5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

What's the alternative though? Yes, most prospects bust, especially QB's, but if you don't have a good QB you have almost 0 chance of consistently competing. Truly good QB's are almost never available in FA either, so if you don't draft one you don't get one 99% of the time.

It's also very unlikely we'll draft this high anytime in the near future. We haven't picked this high in almost 30 years and we've been a really bad team most of that time.

Drafting a QB is a crapshoot but it's the crapshoot you have to play.

The important thing that most teams get wrong is they take too long to cut bait once it's clear the guy they took sucks. It was obvious to me after Sam's 2nd season that he sucked. We should've traded him and tried to get a different QB immediately after that season. He likely could've been traded for at least a 1st round pick at that time. If you reduce the 3-5 year window down to 2 years the consequences for missing on a QB are significantly less. How many QB's suck their first 2 years and end up being the long term answer? I don't know but I'd imagine not many.

NCJetsfan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  6. HomeoftheJets

Jamarcus Russell says hello.

You think Patrick Mahomes is something special but his upside is likely to be Jamarcus Russell.

He can throw the ball a mile, but playing quarterback is more than arm strength. If it weren't for scouts getting fooled by his inflated numbers coming out of a system that has never produced a successful NFL quarterback, he'd be a Day 2 pick.

You think Deshaun Watson is something special but his upside is likely to be Robert Griffin.

He put up a lot of points in college, but he played in a video game spread offense that is unlikely to translate to the NFL. He has no chance to succeed in the NFL unless a coach tailors his entire scheme around him, and look what happened when Chip Kelly tried to do that.

You think Josh Allen is something special but his upside is likely to be Christian Hackenberg.

He has a big arm, but a big arm means nothing if he can't complete passes. And his college numbers were terrible. I wouldn't even draft him at all.

You think Lamar Jackson is something special but his upside is likely to be Tim Tebow.

This is what happens when you look at a run-first quarterback who put up big numbers in college and think he's going to win as a dual threat in the NFL. In fact, I'd use a higher draft pick to take Jackson as a wide receiver than as a quarterback.

You think Kyler Murray is something special but his upside is likely to be Doug Flutie.

They're both 5 foot 6.

You think Justin Herbert is something special but his upside is likely to be Joey Harrington.

They both played for Oregon, and Marcus Mariota doesn't count because he's better looking.

So in conclusion, we should draft the best player available, a sure-fire stud like Leonard Williams, Darron Lee, or Jamal Adams. Championship!

7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The situation a QB goes into also factors heavily into their potential success. We are not ready to do that much for a young QB yet. People want to rush and say we are because of our drafts picks, but the reality is we aren't. Especially considering the most valuable pick would be used on said QB. Next year we should be ready.

We all know your saying we should just take Devonta Smith in the first round and put him in the bank for our future QB/championship. And I agree with you.

8. Khan

Khan Active Member

You take Wilson if you think he is going to be special and someone to invest in for at least a few years, not a one year gamble.

If he is another Rosen and you get a late 2nd next year, that isn't worth the 2nd pick of the draft when you could have just rolled with Sam and taken a premier prospect at another key position.

This is the highest the Jets have picked in 25 years; they cannot afford to do something like that lol

Also, at least a quarter of the league has just as much of a need for a better QB, as who they have is either a stop-gap or looking like a bust.

ouchy likes this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Premiere prospect. I like it. We need some more of those on this team.

Who do you suggest?

10. HomeoftheJets

Have you considered trading for Jerry Jeudy?

ColoradoContrails and REVISion like this.
  11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Well stated. There are several players in this draft that teams really want to move up and get, especially Wilson, Fields Smith, and Sewell. The jets may never have a better opportunity to ransom their draft slot(s) thru a couple of trade downs. Trading down wisely we could end up with four first rounds picks and four second round picks in 2021 and 2022 (total of eight picks, counting their own, in the first two rounds)--trade down from overall two in 2021 a few spots for a first and second this year, and a first next year), and then trade down again in this draft for the same deal). With all the hype around Wilson, Fields Smith, and Sewell, etc. somebody would do it. You are adding two firsts (in 2022) and two seconds (in 2021) to the two firsts and seconds we already have (2021 and 2022). The net result is one first and three seconds in 2021 and three firsts and 1 second (our own) in 2022. I am sure someone will say we would not get this much, but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. I really think by playing teams against each other, we would get something close to that. And should.
    Your analysis is complete and compelling. I have never seen so much love for a QB (Wilson) who had 1 good season playing a cupcake schedule during a pandemic. Wilson is not that big or strong and has "an above-average" arm from what I read. The jets could turn that #2 pick into 2-4 MORE first and second round picks in 2021 and 2022. This is in addition to what we have now, counting Seattle's picks. If the jets take Wilson, I'm not getting a new team or throwing a fit, I will get behind Wilson. But, right now I think they have a huge opportunity to pit teams against each other (they'll bid higher and higher when the jets are on the clock) and the jets can make out like a bandit.

ouchy likes this.
  12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

13. REVISion

Both of you know you are ignoring positional importance and our relative needs at different positions. An elite WR does less for wins and losses than a very good QB or even a good QB. By far.

We're also currently better off at WR than we are at QB. We have the worst QB in the league and don't have the worst WR unit in the league.

14. REVISion

Since when is having a chip on your shoulder or being big and strong the primary criteria for drafting a QB? Almost every QB taken in the first round has been "the man" since he was halfway through high school.

Regarding the size thing, Wilson is 6'2-6'3 and 215. He's by no means concerningly small.

15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Or we could draft the next Jerry Rice. That could be good too?

I agree though, that pick is worth serious value in so many non QB paths.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Tell that to Mac Jones or Tua Tagoviola.

Smith would bring us more wins then any other player in this draft, both next season and over the following years. He would also practically be training wheels for whatever QB we do draft.

17. HomeoftheJets

Because Alabama never won anything before Smith got there.

REVISion likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

OMG ROFLMAO

PJ4Ever and REVISion like this.
  19. REVISion

Surely you're not being serious with that comment, right? Comparing Alabama that wins primarily because they have more talent than everyone everywhere to the realities of the NFL? This is bordering on absurd man.

20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The point was a WR could be just as valuable as a QB. Mac Jones had 41 TD to 4 INTs and 4500 yards. If QB is more valuable why he he ranked lower then his #1 WR? I think you guys are selling the advantages of an elite WR short. Maybe because we aren't used to having one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.