Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

I wondered the same thing. But, allegedly, Neal would have switched to Weak Side Linebacker. Big drag we didn't get him, hopefully in a couple of years the choice to play for the Jets will be automatic.

https://thefalconswire.usatoday.com...eanu-neal-dan-quinn-jeff-ulbrich-free-agency/

#1501 BleedJetsGreen1981, Mar 20, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  2. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

The Jets have nobody to pay over the next few years and the entire NFL is going to have extra cap space from new TV deal. Don’t understand why they couldn’t spring a few extra million to get Golladay instead of Davis.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Of the 194 FA's signed in the past 4 days, 116 of them have been 1 year contracts. (59.79%)
    Of the 8 FAs signed by the Jets, 5 have been signed to 1 year contracts. (62.5%)

The Jets are doing the same thing that the rest of the league is doing, minus the Patriots who are apparently trying to build an entirely new team through FA. (4 1-year contracts out of 15 FAs signed, 26.67%)

4. JetFan20

Not sure how a 210 LB would fit in this division.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm at the point where I'm not even gonna pretend we'll go after him.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on, and I totally agree. Yes, there will be quite a few FAs again next year because of all the one-year contracts, but as you said, ever team will have plenty of cap space, and prices will be astronomical. We're likely not to sign a single player who is even remotely near a Tier 1 FA next year. We may sign a couple of 3rd Tier guys who are willing to take cheap contracts, but that will probably be it.

He is making a colossal mistake if that is what he is doing. It's sad that posters can't see, understand and reason that out for themselves. This was a gift, a once in a lifetime opportunity to speed up the rebuild in a good, smart, fiscally responsible way, and posters are so hung up on tradition, they can't even look at the facts and see that this year is very different from all the other years of FA, except those years where there was no cap.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, they are, but next year's cap will be huge, and every team will have plenty of cap space. For once, it would be nice if the Jets could be ahead of the curve instead of behind the curve, or being a lemming. JD had a golden opportunity this year to dramatically improve the roster and may well have screwed the pooch. I say "may" because in fairness, perhaps he went after a lot of the players we wanted and they had no interest in playing for the Jets even with a bigger contract than what they got. We just don't know, but if it was his conservatism or wanting to save money for next year, then he did screw up. If so, hopefully he will learn from it, but it will probably be too late to help.

88toon likes this.
  8. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

Neal is known as one of the hardest hitters around the league and also has tremendous sense of defensive I.Q. knowing where the ball is heading.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yep. These guys and their agents aren't stupid. If they're getting below typical market value offers, they're signing one year deals and waiting for the cap to explode next year. I bet some of the guys that signed on day one wish they did the same thing.

IIMeanDeanII and apjbfc like this.
  10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Bills and Dolphins aren't exactly powerhouse running teams in recent years.

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

It could have been better...Not overly impressed...Really wanted Ju Ju Smith Shuster and Thuney.Theres all this talk of building this culture but you build a culture by winning and you need talent to win.

ouchy and 88toon like this.
  12. JetFan20

If I was planning to draft a rookie QB I’d be doing everything possible to put as many good players around him as I could. It just doesn’t seem like winning games or acquiring talent is a priority with this regime.

NCJetsfan and 88toon like this.
  13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The problem is the Jets are looking for fit so it narrows the field, then they look for players who actually want to be Jets which further narrows the field. Look at Keanu Neal. The Jets and Cowboys were negotiating for what looks to be 3 days with the guy and he signed a 1 year 5 million dollar deal. Now unless you think Joe was being so cheap that he was lowballing a guy he wanted as a starter beneath 1yr/5mil, the only logical explanation is that he never wanted to sign with the Jets and was using a team with a big cap number to try to inflate his price with the team he really wanted to play for.

The only way for the Jets to have come away with a king's ransom of players in FA would be to do what they have always done with past shitty GMs: vastly overpay for their services with giant guaranteed numbers and 5-6 year deals. Call it the NYJ Markup. Bell, Mosely, Trumaine Johnson, etc. And even then, in some cases, the player still took less to go to another team. Barr, Cousins, etc. That's what no playoffs for a decade, a 2-14 record and no quarterback gets you in this league, I don't care how fiery the new HC is. Good players want to win.

14. JetFan20

How about a tight end? They couldn’t pay an extra $5MM for Everett, Jared Cook, or Kyle Rudolph. Tyler Kroft and Chris Herndon?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. LongIslandBlitz

.I dont even know who our starting CBs will be.I would sign Richard Sherman to a 1 year deal he knows Salehs defense.

16. 88toon

88toon Well-Known Member

Agreed. First to admit that I was in favor in the past couple years of some questionable FA acquisitions that didn't work out. So I am totally in favor of the overall philosophy of building through the draft for long term success (unless you can swing a trade for a big time QB as I have stated in many previous posts).

But Douglas has missed some opportunities to upgrade a roster bereft of talent, with many holes, and lack of veteran leadership. Not spending $5 million on a 26 year old need is a miss I don't care how anyone tries to slice it. Its funny........whenever we miss on a FA there's always an excuse. They didn't want to be here, they didn't want to play with the jets, they took less to go somewhere else etc. Thats what we kept hearing on this board when Robby wasn't resigned, only to hear Douglas say he just plain f''ed it up and read the market wrong.

Not landing an OL in FA and whiffing on a few of the needs for peanuts has me truly wondering if we have yet another GM that is in over his head.

This offseason, as NC and others have said, was quite possibly the perfect storm. We had a real chance to add veteran talent to this roster that almost no other team could have added yet we are sitting with all this cap space still to roll over again. Maybe the goal is to have $400 million in cap space by 2028. The Thuney deal is one thing. We truly had no chance at him. I get that. But almost every other FA could have been had in real areas of need. Or trading for Gabe Jackson with the most draft capital in the draft but instead, Douglas was asleep at the wheel.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Are we even talking to Fuller's people? Probably not.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. LongIslandBlitz

I know we dont value the position like every other winning team does for some reason

18. JetFan20

And the Jets don’t care about winning. Any slight improvement from 2-14 and they can cite progress. Belichick couldn’t stomach another losing season after sitting through one which is why he targeted so many players. Under this regime losing has become accepted.

19. LongIslandBlitz

You would think we just won the Superbowl with this laid back approach to Free Agency instead of going 2-14...

20. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Ha! When I read they officially released him, I thought the exact same thing.