Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Maybe but he has long term contract.

2. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Would respectfully disagree. As I have stated, I think the jets should play Sam and trade down twice from #2 and get a bonanza. But if Douglas DOES draft Wilson/Fields, it is hard to argue with the pick. Also, I do not think the jets should pick up Sam's 2022 option, even if they don't draft a new QB. But keeping Sam if they draft Wilson/Fields is not the worst scenario. For example, God forbid Wilson (is drafted and) tears up his knee in training camp and misses the season. I would rather have Sam play the season than someone like Joe Flacco. Even absent an injury, a little QB competition never hurts. When Namath joined the jets, I think he was one of THREE highly respected QBs they had in camp and Joe won the job.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

While I think it would be best for everyone involved if the Jets traded Sam now, and signed Beathard or Mullens, it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I don't see there being any QB controversy. There will either be a competition in camp, or the plan will be to sit Wilson/Fields/Lance and have Sam start. They won't pick up Sam's 5th year option. Either way, if they draft a QB, he is the QB of the future, unless he looks like a total bust and Sam miraculously suddenly starts playing like a FQB. That will not happen imo. The pressure on Sam is going to be immense, which will make it even harder for him to succeed.

For Sam's sake, I wish that JD would just go ahead and trade him and give him a fresh start elsewhere where he won't face as much pressure and instant criticism (and probably booing) if he doesn't play well. On many teams, he would probably sit this year himself, and I firmly believe that's what he needs to do and have a chance to fix his issues. If he doesn't, I don't think he'll have any chance of succeeding and may never be a starting QB again.

Even if the Jets only get a 4th or 5th round pick or conditional pick, it's better than nothing. The only other way that the Jets will get anything for Sam is if he lights it up and they do a sign and trade deal or if some team's top 2 QBs go down with serious injuries before the trade deadline.

Bringing in Beathard or Mullens would be helpful since they know the system and could help the offense learn it quicker.

I agree that competition doesn't hurt, and in fact, I think it's kind of crazy that QBs usually are just handed the job, when every other player on the team generally faces competition and has to earn the starting spot unless he's an established star or veteran.

#983 NCJetsfan, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  4. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

When you need a franchise qb , and you are able to draft one. I mean in 2019 Fields had over 40 tds and what 1 int, runs a 4.4 , big guy. Wilson could be great. We need to draft one. Even if we think they are not the answer after having them for a yr, with the weak draft class next yr at qb we should be able to get a 1st for them. Low risk investment.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

In the new mock draft nonsense it seems that the Jets are now drafting Fields. They must have seen Zack's xrays.
    What in JD's history makes anyone think he is going to base the future of the team and his job on a guess at #2. Everyone on this board can afford to be wrong. He can't.

abyzmul likes this.
  6. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

This is exactly what needs to happen. Now that Watson is off the board, the only way I want to take a QB at 2 is if, somehow, Lawrence falls past Jacksonville. In the alternate universe where that happens, you take Lawrence and alter the plan. But the other QBs in this draft, at least the ones being talked about as potential first rounders, are not the answer. Use the draft capital to load up on talent on the offensive side of the ball and give Darnold the weapons and coaching support that he's never had at this level. It's not the most ideal option (that would have been for the team to have completed the 0-16 run and gotten Lawrence), but it's the best plan currently available.

tomdeb likes this.
  7. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

You're going to commit an average of $25M a year to a guy who is still making rookie mistakes several seasons into his career? Sure, he hasn't had a fair shake with this shitty organization, but he hasn't exactly helped his cause either.

REVISion, TurkJetFan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Who is this directed at? Has a single poster anywhere in all these forums suggested paying Darnold anywhere near 25 million dollars a year?

b.reyes16 and K'OB like this.
  9. Yankee6

Yankee6 Well-Known Member

The fifth-year option on Darnold, which the Jets will have to exercise by early May, would cost the team around $25 million and will be fully guaranteed, per the collective bargaining agreement.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. NYJ_Jax28

NYJ_Jax28 Member

It’s obvious at this point that Sam is not well regarded around the league. Seems JD can’t give this dude away. He may be on the roster next season just by default. Sam acting as a placeholder for a few games until Zach is ready to go isn’t the worst scenario. Maybe he can increase his value and we can trade him then. I’d prefer it not be that way but we’ll see.

Sam cannot read defenses or process nearly as quickly as Wilson. Watch the film. Zach is out there just ballin’ and throwing no-look passes like Mahomes. No way we can pass on this kid. Even if we can’t trade Sam. Anyone says differently, what in the world are you looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. NYJ_Jax28

NYJ_Jax28 Member

How do you know they’re not the answer? This years QB class is stacked with potentially at least 5 first rounders. Next years class is not even close.

Zach Wilson has the potential to be the next Patrick Mahomes/Aaron Rodgers. You really want to risk passing on that? Why?

12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why do they have to activate it?

It is an option for the Jets to take if Darnold was/is a success, unfortunately for all he hasn't been, that option will never be activated and if by some miracle he stays at the Jets next season, it will still not be activated, he may get offered a new contract but it will not be for 25m a season.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The draft has potentially 5 first rounders because of the number of QB-desperate teams, not because of the overall caliber of the QBs themselves.

As far as Wilson, I have to admit that I've hopped on and off and on and off the hype train with this guy but it's hard to know if he's the next Mahomes or the next Manziel. The risk on passing on him could be similar to the risk of taking him. Maybe not.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

That's been discussed here ad nauseum and I do not believe I have seen a single poster advocate paying that. Do you believe Darnold is worth that kind of money? Is that why you're jumping in here now?

#994 Ralebird, Mar 20, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This forum is going to completely melt down when the Jets do not wind up with a QB at #2.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  16. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

If it's the case then the Jets would certainly not draft at #2

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I keep getting this strong OT vibe at #2.

Not sure why it is pulsing as hard as it is but the fact that two potentially great OT's are in the draft and JD clearly wants to solidify the OL...

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is multi layered for me:

-I have since the beginning and even moreso now believe that keeping Sam is an extremely possible and likely scenario.

-if we don’t, I’m fine with Wilson or Fields with a slight preference of Wilson.

-if we do, I’m fine trading out of 2 and picking up some more picks but it seems like we aren’t going WR in the first regardless anymore so my final opinion: if we keep Sam and trade back, I’m fine with it but if we keep Sam and draft a fucking RT at two overall because we signed two WRs... that’s gonna be tough to swallow.

NOVAJET likes this.
  19. NYJ_Jax28

NYJ_Jax28 Member

Manziel had substance abuse issues and partied his career away. Everyone knows he never studied his playbook or took it seriously. Wilson is obsessed with football. The guy is a film junkie/gym rat type who sleeps and breathes ball. He’s also more athletic and 3 inches taller. Terrible comparison.

Also there really aren’t that many QB desperate teams this year. It’s a legit deep draft class that’s also top heavy with Lawrence & Wilson.

REVISion and joelip like this.
  20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

But comparing him to the best QB in the league is totally reasonable.

Got it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.