Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I think $15m is a little much.

I believe it is more like $12 million

LAJet likes this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

JuJu isn't a #1. The closest we have to one is Davis and he isn't quite there either.

3. Falco21

According to Over the Cap, the Jets currently have $38 million in cap space left.

With $12 million set aside for rookies, that leaves around $26 million

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think the Jets have $15M net on the cap plus another $20M or so from possible cuts/trades.

OTC has the Jets at $34M not including the Joyner signing or the rookie cap space.

The Jets can get $10.375M from a Crowder cut or trade and about $4.8M from a Darnold trade. They also potentially have $7.85M from a Fant cut if they wind up OT in the draft. $5.1M Lewis, $3.4M Van Roten, etc.

The odds are pretty good one of the vets gets cut after the draft, maybe a couple of them.

barfolomew and LAJet like this.
  5. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Juju isn't a number one on a good team, i think he would be a number one on ours.

REVISion likes this.
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Cool. So JD still has cap for Watson or re-up Sam if he wants either one. Or maybe roll into 2022? I'm sure we Jet fans would LOVE an xtra $38M of cap in 2022, especially if we did well in 2021 and only need a couple good players.

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

$34M left on the cap, but that doesn't include the last 2 signings. so we are at around $24. If its $12 for the rookies we are down to $12. Some have rookies at $15M

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I was way against cutting Winters last year because of the unknown guard play we'd get from those two losers. I'm confident that we can cut Van Roten and Lewis and they can sign me and you for $200k/year and we'd at least match their effectiveness from last year.

9. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard about that. How did Weeb undercut Davis?

Ralebird likes this.
  11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Wow, only 1yr/8mil for JuJu? Surprising/telling he didn't get more than that (unless he took less money to stay in Pittsburgh). Nelson Agholor got 2yrs/26mil.

12. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

He took less with Pittsburgh.

13. Falco21

Got it!

Didn't realize it did not have that listed. Thanks for the heads up!

LAJet likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like the Cole signing a lot, so that lessens the negative effect of missing out on Samuel. I may be misremembering, but I believe that remember reading that Bowser is the best coverage LB in the NFL, better than Jayon Brown, Nicholas Morrow, or Jarrad Davis. In fact in my reading on coverage LBs, no one even mentioned Jarrad Davis. Bowser, Brown and Morrow were the top 3 that I always saw mentioned. I could be wrong, but don't think they were overpaid. Now in fairness, perhaps JD did contact them or their agents and they told him that they weren't interested in signing with the Jets at any price. We'll probably never know. But they're obviously not that high on Davis since he only got a 1-year deal. I do give him credit for a least adding a LB who can cover pretty well.

I know that JD was focused on Thuney, but it seems like he either was obsessed with getting him and didn't have a Plan B, or didn't work on the Plan B enough and focused too much on Thuney. To be fair, Zeitler only became available a day or so before the FA tampering period began, but if I were GM, I sure would have been on the horn with him/his agent and talked about a potential deal. In fact, I probably would have just gone ahead and signed him if I could because since he wasn't a FA, but released, he could have been signed before the tampering period began. In that way I'd have been sure of having a very good OG. If I could have then signed Thuney at a reasonable price, I probably still would have. It would have been a ton of money for the OL, but better that and protect the QB, than the alternative. That would have left me free to focus on other positions in the draft.

I think we should definitely be all in on Fuller. If he needs to be overpaid a little, fine, just not by a lot. We also need a slot CB, either Poole or K'waun Williams. I want our new CS to have a real chance to succeed, and we Jets fans deserve to see better play in the coming seasons rather than a slow, ponderous, struggling rebuild.

#1314 NCJetsfan, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    AJT73 likes this.
  15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Juju back with the Steelers. We're running out of possible slot receivers to add to our stockpile.

K'OB likes this.
  16. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

It's clear that JuJu took less to stay at a team he knows not just how often he'll be used but the scheme.

He's counting on a better market next year for him, rather than this year.

If he turned down KC, he just didn't want to be the next Sammy Watkins.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

REVISion likes this.
  17. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

Would you guys like jadaveon clowney on a 1 year deal? I would

BrowningNagle likes this.
  18. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I dont see Watson in play, he is up to 9 lawsuits now and it keeps getting worse.

Br4d and Footballgod214 like this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I'd give them a 7th right now for him ;)

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Every lawsuit knocks a draft pick off the offer. @K'OB has it right! A 2023 7th round pick, best offer.

K'OB, blackssmagic and NYJetsO12 like this.