Jets sign OL Dan Feeney

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vokab206, Mar 18, 2021.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

This is the one signing I don't like. Hopefully he doesn't play much.

boozer32 and Red Menace like this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Same. Hopefully the only time we ever see him is on the bench, combing his moustache.

K'OB and CotcheryFan like this.
  3. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

If he brings his fashion sense to the rest of the O-line, Joe might be on to something.

4. JetsCuseYanksFan

I was scratching my head on this one too, but after looking into it, it makes a lot of sense. Expect Lewis to be released soon. Feeney is younger and cheaper, and will fill that void FOR NOW. Yes, we need a starter but he is likely an upgrade over Lewis who probably is done after the injury. And Feeney has some pluses. Most notably from an article I found ...”He’s also surprisingly mobile out in space which is also another reason why the Chargers have loved to utilize him as a lead-blocker in their power-heavy run scheme.” So with all the movement / motion in the new offensive scheme, he at least serves as a slight upgrade over Lewis for now.

5. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I get the mobility thing but Lewis, if you can believe it, was significantly better than Feeney last season.

boozer32 likes this.
  6. JetsCuseYanksFan

Yeah, I looked into that too, it’s only because Feeney was playing out of position. He played Center last year when Pouncey went down. He is a natural left guard and played better there. Including a lower “pressure rate” than Lewis.

REVISion and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

My only problem with that is it probably won't help our QBs in 2021. If he is giving Sam one last chance, he's not giving him a fair chance by not seriously upgrading one of the OG spots. He's making those posters right who said that drafting a QB this year would be dumb because it would be doing the same thing to him as was done to Sam, when that didn't have to be the case at all. Rookie OL can hardly be counted on as locks. Yes, some play very well from day one, but others struggle. Those struggles could get our QB beaten to a pulp or running for his life again. If he is keeping Sam, then he lied to his parents about fixing the OL and protecting him.

EDIT: Additional thoughts - I understand the Thuney situation. Nothing could have been done about that, but there were a couple of other very good veteran OGs that JD could have signed or traded for: Kevin Zeitler and Gabe Jackson, and as far as we know, he made no efforts to acquire either. I also have to believe that with all the other FA OGs there has to be at least one that is better than Dan Feeney. I don't know if Trai Turner is done or if his injury is what caused his bad year in 2020, but we'ver seen on rumors that JD is in on him, either. I understand that he can't manufacture players, but perhaps he's too picky with some of his requirements in terms of mobility, character, or cost. It may not be ideal for a year or two, but neither is having rookie OGs or a subpar vet protecting our QB and trying to open holes for our RBs. I have to believe that he could have done more.

#47 NCJetsfan, Mar 18, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    K'OB, boozer32 and BleedJetsGreen1981 like this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

That ain’t backup money. Alarming.

K'OB likes this.
  9. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Why are we wasting money on guys that suck

boozer32 likes this.
  10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Who the fuck is this guy?

Get me the Damn Ball likes this.
  11. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

I am getting the feeling that JD is buying players like I bet at the craps table.

boozer32 likes this.
  12. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I like all the others on the whole, they make sense, but this one does indeed seem truly insipid.

K'OB likes this.
  13. MoWilkBeast

$500k per game active?!!!!

So $8m if he's active every game plus his gtd salary? That's got to be a typo... hopefully.

14. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

$500K is for the season, $31,250 every game he is on the active roster

ouchy, K'OB and MoWilkBeast like this.
  15. MoWilkBeast

Oh, I see. Weird way of putting it. I can live with that.

K'OB likes this.
  16. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

At this point, I have no idea what Douglas is doing. He's all over the place and there are still positions to fill.

17. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That is starter money and this guy seems like a scrub.

18. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Well he was a starter, and a scrub. He is a scrub starter. Seriously he could be serviceable as a backup guard. But don't put him back at center because he is a liability.

Edit, was covered above.

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It isn't 500k a game it is 500k for the season, somebody explained it further up the thread, it is very badly worded in the tweet, how could you give a scrub like that 500k a game lol from memory it was 38.5k for every game he plays maxing at 500k for all games played.

ouchy likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://thejetpress.com/2021/03/19/ny-jets-grade-analysis-dan-feeney/

NY Jets: Initial grade and analysis for the Dan Feeney signing
    by Justin Fried10 minutes ago

The NY Jets went into the offseason looking to bolster their offensive line. And on Thursday, they at least added a little depth in the form of Dan Feeney.

Feeney spent the first four seasons of his career with the Los Angeles Chargers serving as a durable and versatile starter along the offensive line.

But given his struggles in Los Angeles, that likely isn’t the role he’s going to be asked to fill with the Jets. Instead, the Jets will look for Feeney to serve as a reliable backup at multiple spots along the offensive line.

Think of this as the Josh Andrews signing of the offseason or as their replacement for Pat Elflein after the former Jets’ guard signed on with the Carolina Panthers earlier in the week.

Dan Feeney provides offensive line depth for the NY Jets
    A third-round pick of the Chargers in the 2017 NFL Draft, Feeney stepped into a starting role in his rookie season after former Jets’ draft pick, Matt Slauson, went down with an injury.

And given that he was just a mid-round rookie thrust into a starting role, he played quite well down the stretch for the Chargers. Feeney earned a respectable 60.8 Pro Football Focus grade that ranked 44th out of all guards in the NFL.

It was enough to earn him a full-time promotion the following season after the departure of Slauson. However, Feeney would never match that same level of production again.

Feeney’s play slipped in 2018 and 2019 as he ranked 70th (out of 77 qualifiers) and 66th (out of 83 qualifiers) at his position in each of the next two seasons. He wasn’t exactly a starting-caliber player — but at least he was durable.

And on a beat-up Chargers offensive line, that was enough to keep him in the starting lineup.

Feeney once again started all 16 games in 2020 marking 57 consecutive starts dating back to his rookie season. This time, Feeney shifted over to center following an injury to Mike Pouncey in training camp.

The 26-year-old’s two best traits are durability and versatility. He’s started 57 career games and never sat out due to injury over the course of his entire NFL career.

And given his starting experience at both guard and center, it’s safe to say that general manager Joe Douglas was intrigued by his versatility.

Moreover, Feeney found his most success in Los Angeles when asked to pull and get out into the second level on screens. He struggled mightily in pass protection, but he’s a fairly athletic lineman who is best when blocking in space.

That makes him a perfect fit for new offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur’s zone-blocking scheme that emphasizes athleticism and lateral mobility along the offensive line.

If Feeney is asked to be a start (highly unlikely given his $3.5 million salary), the Jets might be in trouble. But assuming this is just a move to solidify their offensive line depth, then it’s a worthwhile addition.

Dan Feeney is a below-average player, but his durability, versatility, and schematic fit make this signing sensible.

Grade: C+

ColoradoContrails likes this.