Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I guess JD told him that. If he wants a deal for the #2 of course he talks him up

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Yes, if they don’t pick up the option and he is, at best, good they will likely let him walk and get nothing. But there is the absolute best case option that he somehow plays great, at which point they can franchise and trade him. I’d say the reward of potentially playing great and trading him is worth the risk of him walking for nothing (as opposed to trading him now for next to nothing).

3. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Oh I agree, could easily be a ploy by JD to get someone to overpay for the pick.

hornblower likes this.
  4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Just read an article in the Post that said the Bears were interested in Jaimis Winston prior to trying to trade for Wilson. And then they signed Dalton when the Wilson deal fell through (nixed by Pete Carrol). Sounds like they want no part of Darnold.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Nobody wants Darnold. I’m going to give JD credit for the widespread manufacturing of claims to the contrary to try and drum up interest.

6. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

not snarky. i dont recall having a beef w/ you is all.
    i didnt k now an olive branch was needed.
    my memory aint what it useta to was.

7. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I'm not opposed to keeping Darnold. If they could trade back a few spots and draft Pitts, then take an OL with pick 23 and RB with 34 they would totally revamp the offense, while reading additional picks from trading back.

They could even cut Crowder and sign Juju. Provide Darnold with upgrades at OL, WR, TE and RB. If he fails in 2021, then they have a really nice offense for the next QB.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

If the Bears plan to start Dalton, then they have given up on the season.

9. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

I agree.
    QB-Sam
    RB-Etienne (23)
    WR-Davis, Mims, JUJU
    TE Pitts (8)?
    OL-Becton, OG from 2-2, McGovern, OG from 2nd round trade back pick, Fant

huge upgrade for that O.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Exactly!

11. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Keeping Sam will not end well.

He is one of the worst starting QBs in the league and a majority of fans want to move on from him. He will get crucified the moment he has a bad game. It's just time to move forward.

12. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

My problem with keeping Sam is the Shanny system might significantly prop up Sam's stats resulting in a big payday next winter which we might regret. In 2019 Sam had 19 TDs to 13 Ints. I don't think it's a reach that in a QB friendly system where his reads are simplified and the focus is on getting the ball out quickly that he could post something approaching Mayfield's 26-8 2020 numbers. I don't see the upside in Sam and the possibility of paying him a big contract next year really scares me.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

he's actually had good seasons.
    anyone starting Sam is giving up on the season.
    thats wht the crazy idea thatthe colts wanted anything to do with hime was, well, crazy....

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Is anyone else starting to think that Douglas might keep Sam AND draft Wilson? Let Sam play first 4 games and then go to Wilson if Sam stinks? Not advocating this, but anything is possible.

Bellys Lies, Ralebird, Jets79 and 3 others like this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, it's what I've been thinking for a while now. Despite what many here think, Darnold is better than most other options. This may have been the plan all along.

tomdeb likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Yes, since they've seemingly made no effort to sign a QB, and there has been no real movement on a Sam trade even though JD said that he would take calls on Sam, it looks like that JD realized that he's not going to get anything for Sam, so they're going to draft a QB at #2 and keep Sam as the veteran.

#976 NCJetsfan, Mar 19, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Jets79, cval and tomdeb like this.
  17. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

I completely agree with this. Sam is going to get booed out of the building the first time he has a three-and-out. The fans would be riotous if Fields is sitting on the bench and Sam is playing lousy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

One good early win and the always fickle fans will love him. GM’s who look to fans for guidance get fired.

Jets79, Footballgod214 and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

True dat, but it usually isn't the GM that makes the decision of who plays and who sits. That's on the HC. Remember that Saleh is a rookie HC and he may be more susceptible to fan reactions than a veteran HC. I'm not saying that he'd panic after Sam's first bad game and fans booing, but if Sam plays poorly in 3-4 games opening the season, whether the Jets win or lose, the pressure could start mounting on Saleh, especially if Wilson (or whomever the Jets draft) looked sharp in TC and preseason.

20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

That would be the worst move I could think of. To have two young highly drafted QB's on the roster competing for FQB is fertile ground for setting up a QB controversy. I get that Douglas may want to move on from Sam, but what if the drafted QB whether Wilson or Fields or the other guy struggles? I say Douglas should commit one way or the other. If he wants to bring in a draftee, that's on him, but he should make every effort to allow Sam to find a new home even if the Jets get very little in return.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.