Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Screenshot of your post taken

I feel like that is one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen- dear lord

It’s all about the draft in this sport and with these rules

Falco21, NYGANGGREEN and PJ4Ever like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Back with a bang I see.

RochesterJet likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

4. NCJetsfan

And Sam couldn't use a better OL if he's the QB?

azhar80, Mario and barfolomew like this.
  5. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Not sure I get the calls to replace Crowder...he’s a very solid WR catches everything and gets open. I want him on my team. Mac didn’t make many good free agent signings but Crowder was a good one.

what I really want to see is an OL signing and a CB signing...I think we need help on OL for sure...corner we have a bunch of you g guys with potential but would still like a solid starting caliber corner.

I think signing one of Jonnu (?) or Henry at TE would have been good because I have no idea what the fuck happened to Herndon last year but the Pats took both (after drafting 2 TEs last year if I recall)

I wouldn’t mind Hewitt back as it looks like we are short on LBs....

RochesterJet, PJ4Ever and ouchy like this.
  6. JetsCuseYanksFan

We have to look at the big picture, and what is our 2-3 year plan. The clock has been reset with Saleh whether we like it or not. Sure, build through the draft and supplement through free agency. But what’s our plan. Are we going to the Super Bowl next year, nope. How about year 2, it’s a long shot. Year 3 is what they are looking at.

The plan looks like it’s to draft a quarterback - Wilson or Fields and start the clock ticking. And keep Darnold for insurance for now. Then, add a few more young pieces this year and next year, Look at the two deals we just signed, they are young guys for, yep, 3 years (Davis, Lawson). That’s our window.

Then what do we do with our cap space, several things. Anyone remember Maye, let’s sign him to a 3 year deal and front load the contract. How about Crowder, no signs of slowing down and one of the best slot receivers in the game. You get the idea. Then rollover the rest. We can’t blow our wad (err, cap space) this year with a rookie quarterback, new offensive system, defensive system, etc.

Bottom line, get lots of young guys, either through the draft or free agency, that fit your scheme, AND your long term plan (2-3 years). I’m optimistic we finally have the owners letting JD do his thing, in alignment with a coach who he hired. They have a plan, it’s something we haven’t had in, well, I don’t remember.

7. NCJetsfan

Exactly! It's sad that some posters can't see that this year is different and presented a great, unique opportunity for JD. This isn't the normal FA where there are few decent players available and they all want Tier 1 money. There are a ton of young quality players in this FA, most teams don't have the cap space to sign players, so competition was less for players, and he could have done a lot to help his new CS and whomever will be playing QB. Players like Gabe Jackson and Samuel could really have helped this team. It's not like we have to worry about the cap next year, don't have a bunch of cap space clearing for next year, and don't have the cap space to sign people this year. He is too cheap. I'm starting to realize that he may not be the right man for the job. He's too cautious, too slow. There is middle ground between the idiot, free spending Mac and Ebenezer Scrooge. At this rate, we'll lose Becton, Q. Williams and any other good players we have in 4-5 years because JD will be too cheap to pay them.

8. NCJetsfan

And most likely there won't be the caliber of players available next year that there are this year. This the year to spend bigger than normal, because there are more good players, and way fewer teams to compete against.

9. NCJetsfan

JD likes to sign players to 1-year deals, or 2- or 3- year deals where he can get out of them after a year with little or no cap hit. The OL needs veteran help NOW. He could have traded a 3rd round pick for Gabe Jackson and Jackson probably could have given us at least 2-3 years if not 5 of high level play. That would have given JD time to draft a rookie and the CS time to develop him to take Jackson's place. That's why you don't have to get 4 years. Whomever our QB is needs help NOW, future help won't do much for Darnold or anyone this year.

10. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

This is his 2nd offseason lol

REVISion, barfolomew and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  11. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Almost all top FAs are coming off rookie contracts, as GMs will spend more for 26 and a future with the team.

Douglas put them at the top echelon by signing them day 1 to sizeable contracts.
    If it was just the press overshooting their worth, they’d still be available.

12. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

He’s coming into the 3rd year of his contract, and the roster was a disaster last season.
    It’s fine to hold him accountable for the roster at this point, and to expect improvements.

13. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Oh I agree but he’s still only had one offseason and his second just started. He’s going to be here for his full contract - gotta let him build it the right way.

REVISion likes this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

The part about Watson only serves to "prove" the part about not spending, so Pauline is doing nothing there other than reinforcing his own premise. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

On the other hand Watson may only find a sympathetic ear to his lawsuit problems from a team like the Patriots - birds of a feather and all that.

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The first disappointment for me but knew he wasn't coming after he signed Davis on day 1, still a little disappointing though especially at that cost, actually less than Davis :(

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That's bullshit. We have not been saying this for years. In fact, for years we have been spending like drunken sailors every offseason resulting in years of horrible records and high draft picks.

JD still has a lot to prove, but if you think he's going to follow the same route as his predecessors, you are dead wrong. Do not expect him to spend a fortune in free agency until this team is winning and has more pieces in place. Until then, I would not be surprised if he continues rolling money over until we have a much improved roster through the draft.

17. Falco21

If this is true, we are destined to build a roster that wins year after year.

Funny how for years we spent and look like idiots, now our approach is changing and suddenly we are going to suck. How did spending work out for us?

You can't win games until you have a talented deep roster that is built in the draft. You can't win games until you have a franchise QB, that is found in the draft. Put those pieces in place, then sign the free agents

18. Falco21

Makes me happy as well.

I always wanted to spend but I am liking this approach and with our history, I am happy to see our approach change

19. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Couch GMs are just upset and think they know better. I'm just as frustrated as some other posters that we are moving at a snail pace. That we probably won't be the Watson sweepstakes based off of the moves we made in FA. However, you don't work in the NFL for 20+ years if you are shit at what you do. I trust JD and let's see how he builds this. For the first time in years it seems like we actually have a plan and a direction to go in. The only thing that can actually ruin my excitement for the 2021 season is running it back with Sam.

REVISion likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Im only quoting your post excuse it’s the most recent but I have no idea why so many people are trying to compare this to any other year. No one is suggesting we spend top dollar on an ILB or RB. We have tons of money, gaping holes at the skill positions and there are plenty of talented players available to fill those holes at seemingly below market price. Being stubborn and not spending money on them just because it isn’t the draft is counterproductive. Ask the Bills how awful it was spending money on WR in free agency and the trade market.