Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And now, barely a half a day after teams could sign players, free agency has died.

It was a beautiful sight in it's short effervescent life but the big mojo, the show me the cash binge, is already running out.

Now we know what free agency looks like when the cap collapses in a season - like a skinny beached whale dying on a beach somewhere with outraged free agents pushing and kicking trying to get it back into the ocean.

#961 Br4d, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    boozer32, abyzmul and The Dark Knight like this.
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

The problem with that is positioning. Right now the Jets are in a great spot with the #2 overall pick. You would assume the Jets will improve enough this season that they won't be in a similar spot in the 2022 draft. I have also heard the 2021 crop of QB's is better than the potential 2022 class. Now seems like the right time to pick a QB.

If you trade down from #2, pick a player like Chase or Pitts, then lets say have 3 1st round picks in 2022, what is the point if you just have to package them all to move up for a QB? Doesn't make sense to me, especially if Wilson or Fields is good.

3. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Can't really say it was owner driven.

The owners of Jax and NYJ have never hamstrung the GMs when it has come to the money bag available. They both hired the wrong people a few times.

I know woody went well after revis but doubt there was any meddling in the Mosley and Johnston horror shows.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

4. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

And when you are terrible at drafting FA binges are the only recourse to trying not to be bad.

Br4d, boozer32, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  5. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Hassan reddick one year 6 million that can escalate to 8 to the panthers? That’s a JD kinda deal - we should have made it!

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We don't really know much about next years draft. I really feel like its going to be much deeper then this years draft. There are a lot of sophomores/juniors that due to COVID did not get to play this season that are waiting to break out.

One year makes a big difference. For example, guess whose stats these are from two seasons ago:

199 of 319, 2382 yards, 11 TDs, 9 INTs.

Anyone come to mind?

That is our supposed #2 pick, Zack Wilson.

If Wilson/BYU would have opted out he would have had to return for his senior year to even get draft consideration. One year makes a difference and there are a lot of players waiting to bust loose. Don't believe all the "no good players next year" line of BS. It will likely be the opposite. It will be loaded.

#966 ouchy, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    azhar80, Br4d, NOVAJET and 3 others like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

That's a great point. No reason a QB or two can't do exactly what Wilson did this year and have a great season to sky rocket up draft boards. However, if the team loves Wilson, then they should draft him. If not, they shouldn't. Pretty simple. We will see.

boozer32 and Noam like this.
  8. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

Yeah that I agree with...there are always players coming out of nowhere that weren’t considered prior year ... I wasn’t hearing anything about Wilson last year either

that being said, there ARE those drafts where you look back on the first round and see absolutely nothing but trash....

always a crapshoot...

ouchy likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The problem with not taking a QB this year is that next year, or the year after we almost certainly won't have as high a pick and will have to use major draft capital to move up - assuming a team in the #1 or #2 spot even agreed to trade.

Again, being able to draft a FQB isn't like ordering a pizza - dial the phone, place you order, and presto! it's delivered.

REVISion, boozer32 and Noam like this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Smells like bargain season!

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

So you think Darnold is going to lead us to a low draft pick? I thought he was hopeless?

TBH if we trade with Carolina and get another #1 next year, and end up taking Pitts this year, I don't see our draft position moving out of the top 10. Plus we'd have 3 first rounders next year.
    If Seattle moves Wilson their #1 next year could be pretty high also.

I agree about the trading. I have no interest in trading into the top 5 to draft a QB. Fortunately nearly all top QBs are taken either #1, or somewhere around 10.

azhar80 and boozer32 like this.
  12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Jets and Douglas didn't get that memo.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

I know this isn't necessarily the right thread for this but i am feeling the most confident about the Jets in years -- and I'm a kool-aid drinker

i think about the Knicks. Last year Julius and RJ were big disappointments. CHanged the coach. both guys came in, in great shape. Coach fundamentally changed the plan so they did less stupid shit. Stopped Julius from dribbling into doubles or triples. Got RJ selecting shots better. AT one sense it was simple. He didn't ask them to jump higher or become better shooters -- just cut down on the stupid stuff.

So even if we keep Sam there may be hope. Get a system to cut down on the stupid shit, in a way where he doesn't even have to think about it.

And for all i know JD plans to ship Sam out just like Gase but still. COach can change a lot of things -- even in NBA where supposedly it's all about talent -- baloney

14. boozer32

The way free agency is shaking out I doubt they will draft Wilson now. A rookie QB will need all the weapons he can get. It's either another year of Darnold and being back at the QB beauty pageant again next year.

15. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

well for sure the system did Sam no favors. Same goes for the OL, RB, TE, and receivers

Personally I don’t think Sam is as bad as he played last year but I also don’t think he’s blameless in it. I think he’s been a different guy ever since that ghosts comment on MNF. To me, that seemed like a watershed moment...the tide turned. He lost all confidence in himself and his teammates ...

don’t know if he can ever get back to his potential as he’s been pretty bad...but I do think he’d play better in a better system and with a halfway decent OL in front of him.

probably best to reset the QB pay scale with a rookie at this point, but I just don’t know how much to believe in either Fields or Wilson....to me they both have plenty of question marks...

ouchy, azhar80, CotcheryFan and 3 others like this.
  16. boozer32

Watson has a sexual charge against him.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

JD screwed the pooch badly here. Starting to worry that he honestly does not care about skill positions.

18. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

there's a lot of logic in this. but also consider when you reset the pay scale you also reset the clock. there's a lot to be said for experience and some rookies do nothing their first year and the rest of the team suffers.

unless someone blows us out of the water for a trade for Sam why not keep him. if you draft a rookie and he plays lights out, then great start him. If not or you don't like starting rooks, play Sam and maybe he ups his value

no reason to sell low

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

I Know and I hope it lowers the asking price honestly. From what I've read he basically just asked for a happy ending after a massage, can't fault the guy for that:rolleyes:

boozer32 likes this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Did he not sign Corey Davis?