Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

#761 ouchy, Mar 16, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Dan Quinn ran the same D we will run, so Neal is already very familiar with the SS role.
    That position is almost like another LB.

Neal's a great fit, although I'd much rather sign a CB.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing earlier when I read someone talking about the market drying up for Sam. Doesn't really change anything to me. Those teams knew those QB's would be out there when they contacted the Jets about Sam. If a team is satisfied with Fitzpatrick or Dalton at QB, that would not be a wise team. You could easily add Sam to those teams and have him compete (and likely win) for the starting job against those guys.

FlaJet, Noam, abyzmul and 1 other person like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Question: On Twitter I've seen 2-3 people comment about Ulbrich's system, now you. I don't intend any disrespect, but isn't the defensive scheme we'll be using Saleh's rather than Ulbrich's, or is it one and the same? Has Ulbrich run the same scheme as Saleh has?

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree. It could also mean that the Bears are still interested in Darnold and intend to trade for him, but Dalton is insurance and a veteran mentor. It could also mean that the Bears plan to sign Sam to an extension and have him sit for most or all of this season while he works on fixing his flaws, Dalton start this year, then Sam take over next year. If I liked Sam and thought I could fix him, that's what I'd do. I wouldn't try to start him this year.

7. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

San Fran is who I think will be the team. It just makes too much sense with the offensive system, the familiarity with Saleh/Shanahan and both QBs looking for a fresh start. Jimmy grooms Wilson this year (which is a must this kid needs time to develop properly) and then we unleash Wilson next year with all the extra picks and cut Jimmy. Then a pick swap for salary compensation between the QBs.

Sam + 23 overall for Jimmy + 12 overall

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. Pags2112

Pags2112 Well-Known Member

A Sam Darnold bidding war .. Gotta love it :rolleyes:

REVISion likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's probably a calculated move since the Texans have no idea how the Watson situation is going to play out right now.

10. Br4d

Yes, agreed on all points.

The PFT story said specifically that since revenue was way down last season some teams were having trouble finding the cash to splurge in free agency.

I can believe that because some teams also have debt overhangs from things like stadium construction and the like.

Also, sports owners are not generally known for making the best decisions on things like contracts, cash and outside investments related to the game.

The Mets were hamstrung for years because the Wilpons bought into Bernie Madoff heavily and were then prevented from realizing the false gains by the master appointed by the courts to unwind the pyramid scheme. By some accounts the Wilpons may have had to pay more than $100M back into the funds the master was using to try to relieve victims of the scam.

Imagine if you will a situation in which an NFL ownership was trying to amplify their NFL-related gains by investing or back-boning hedge funds. Then Covid-19 happens and Gamestop happens and suddenly somebody who should have major cash flow instead has major cash flow problems.

11. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Jimmy has proven he is a better qb than Sam , Sam only asset is the hope of what he can become. Why would the 49ers give up more to get a lesser player?

12. Rockinz

Sam is less expensive and has a higher ceiling than Jimmy. He needs a fresh start if he’s going to be a nfl qb. Needs to be rebuilt but Shanahan is cocky enough to believe he can make it work

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Because Joe Douglas is a "if the price is right" kind of guy.

The longer the Texans wait, the more Watson's value drops.

jixxjr and FlaJet like this.
  14. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

No. We fucked this up frankly.

REVISion likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Or there's no market for a rehabilitation project like Darnold that warrants moving him.

For a mid round pick when we'd have to sign another quarterback anyways we might as well keep him if it's not a premium pick.

NYJFOREVER and FlaJet like this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

This is interesting. That seems like a bad deal for the Jets though. Isn't Jimmy G making like $27 million in 2021? The 49ers get a $20 million salary dump and a quality young QB, all for dropping from #12 to #23? Not sure Douglas would do that. I think he would want actual picks to build with for Sam.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. Br4d

I could see this kind of deal pretty easily. The 49ers get to make some cap space and they get back a young QB they might be able to develop. The Jets get a guy who knows the offense they will be running next year and they take on the cap hit for 2021 and 2022. The #23 for the #12 is reasonable value for taking on the Garoppolo contract and giving the 49ers a guy who might still be a very good NFL QB for a guy who clearly is just a decent starting QB.

If you're Sam Darnold and the the 49ers get permission to negotiate with you, well you are listening really hard to their offer and not thinking too hard about trying to get a huge deal because that is never happening and if you don't play extremely well next year never means never.

18. Rockinz

It’s slim pickings out there dark night. This move has a lot to do with us taking a QB at #2 whether it’s Fields or Wilson they both need time to develop behind a professional QB. Especially one that is coming from the system you are adapting. It’s really a perfect storm in my opinion

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. Br4d

I think if the Jets get Garoppolo QB is off the board in the 1st round.

I think they try to trade down the #2 and pickup a WR and maybe a TE and CB.

If they have to use the #2 I think they go with one of the OT's on the #2 and then go WR, TE or CB on the #12 in the scenario envisioned above. Ideally they can trade down the #2 and get a couple of 1sts in the process, with the ammo from the trade down letting the Jets trade back into the 1st round to get a 3rd guy under contract for 5 years.

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No one knows what’s going on with Sam, what JD and the CS decided or not decided, what discussions were conducted with other teams, offers made if any, potential trades in work, on and on. In short we know zero except that he will answer the call if made. So to say JD already fucked up before free agency even kicked in, without having zero facts at our disposal is purely an emotional outburst or knee jerk reaction and the enemy of conducting winning negotiations. I trust JD to stick to his guns, ignore the media bullshit, and not get played like our predecessors, like the guy that selected Sam in the first place.