Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I say no way Cam is the full time starting QB for the Pats this year.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think signing FA RBs is a waste of cap space and roster space. RB is the easiest position for a rookie to come in, start day one and play at a high level. There is a great RB class in this draft. There is absolutely no reason to sign a FA RB unless he's a FB and LaFleur wants one for the offense.

Jets79, blackssmagic and SOJAZ like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No RB. There are at least 7-8 excellent RB prospects in the draft, and RB is the easiest position for a rookie to come in, start day one and play at a high level.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I would not be surprised if we pick up another LB of similar qualifications and pass rushing ability.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

How many studs has he really had in his career? Not too many since Steve Smith left in 2014 (3 years). Olson has been the top receiving target for him since then with guys like Ted Ginn Jr. and (bust) Kelvin Benjamin making stops along the way. Even still, his top targets have always performed rather well.

They really ran him into the ground down there. He's certainly limited but not incapable. Especially with the style of offense they just rebuilt. And they will always have good interior line play with Scarnecchia there.

Belichick has sucked at drafting the past 6-7 years but he still hits on his offensive lineman.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Maybe we can get the one with no hands.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

we already have Herndon but he plays TE

8. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

LoL guys stop I'm crying rn man

9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This is spot on IMO and the reality of how hard it is to do a professional and value added job in free agency. There are many, many factors that motivate players to select a specific team. You don't just snap your fingers, pay a king ransom ala J Jones and every one goes to you. You have to have a long term vision and a thorough understanding of the long term ramifications of the cap as well as selecting players that fit your team game plan and capabilities. We finally have that with JD and the new HC staff, while in the past it was an overspending crap shoot by GMs with dubious qualifications and no long term plan, nor any coordination with the CS..

Jets79, blackssmagic, SOJAZ and 4 others like this.
  10. NYGANGGREEN

I think we are focused on Williams for scheme and coming from SF prob fit better so don't lose any sleep over this man not a big L

11. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

Actually it's his brother, Shaquem, who has one hand. He plays safety.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Exactly! Douglas has a blueprint, and he's building based on that. If he can find FAs that fit what he wants, AND he can get them at a price he's willing to pay, he'll offer them that price. If they then agree to sign, he gets a player. When you look at all the "IF's" involved in that equation, it's way more complicated than just picking up the phone and ordering a pizza.

LAJet, SOJAZ, Noam and 2 others like this.
  13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Chances are Seattle would want not
    You wouldn’t trade Seattle’s firsts back to them for Russell Wilson?
    You gotta be kidding me that would be an all time steal. I was kinda just being facetious as it’s so lopsided in our favor.

blackssmagic and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  14. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

No. Seattles pick next year is a top 3 pick if Wilson is moved. We aren't a Wilson away from being good. He's also significantly older than Watson (Who I am all for pursuing).

15. NYGANGGREEN

I hope hes kidding but looks like not lmao I'm sorry any pick in the first and just one I'm trading for a Top 5 QB something this franchise hasn't had in how many years? The hardest position to draft yeah sign me up

BacktoQueens likes this.
  16. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

They're gonna get a QB in the first round, I believe even if they have to move up. This is officially upside down year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Brissett back with the Pats also.

LAJet likes this.
  17. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Wilson is due 32, 37, and 40 over the next 3 years. He is 32 years old and will want a new deal by the time we even remotely close to compete. That would be an awful trade.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NYGANGGREEN

I would like an upgrade at TE but I dont think Everret is much of an upgrade from Herndon tbh, I think if you put Herndon on the Rams he prob has the same numbers so adding him wont do much. I would rather cut Griffin and draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round. Also whos gonna start at SS? serious question shouldn't we be looking for a another starter McDoug is a FA

SOJAZ likes this.
  19. NYGANGGREEN

Nah it wouldn't, it would be a welcomed problem and with our picks and money we can put out a good team to compete we just would go about FA prob more aggressively. I think any Gm would warrant that problem and I doubt any would pass on any top QB for one pick but that's just my opinion. A good QB is so rare and hard to come by

BacktoQueens likes this.
  20. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Also, they are bringing in young enough players who could be around for awhile. I expect JC Jackson to be tendered and Gilmour traded.

NCJetsfan likes this.