Free Agent News & Rumors

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 15, 2021.

1. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

hahahah I'm 24 and doing the exact same thing. It's not the end of the world with the amount of draft ammo we have

2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

We have more than enough money to slightly overpay at a position of great need. We had one of the worst interior OL's in the league last year and we are likely going to be rolling out a rookie QB behind roughly the same OL unless we hit on some draft picks.

SOJAZ likes this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

1000%. Breath of fresh air. Unlike his predecessors

4. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I’d rather we get Lawson but considering we never seem to sign an edge EVER, I would take whatever we can get.

NCJetsfan and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

You realize that this all began hours ago and the top offensive line prospect just signed with the best team in the league with the best QB in the league?

You act like he's dropping the ball and making mistakes all over. Yeah he missed out on a big free agent signing to the best team in the league. That's life, move on

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The thing most people do not understand is that the cap is a primary limiter on how you build your team.

Bad teams can and do spend to the cap every year while staying bad. They do this by making splash signings that bring in marketable semi-star players who are just there to earn a living. We call these players bank mercs because they are just there to make bank and they really do not care about whatever team they sign with.

The Jets love bank mercs and have signed lots of them over the years while becoming and then staying bad.

Brook! likes this.
  7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He got overpaid to go to a good team.

What level of overpay would you suggest the Jets should offer him to come here and lose. Knowing all along that the only reason he was coming here was the money and that he knew he was coming to a loser?

8. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

I did find this tweet funny.

Lawson is definitely someone that I think interests us. Wouldn't be opposed to both him and Hendrickson

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We were never even in on Linsley. And I don't hate the logic although I would have preferred we signed him and moved McGovern.

10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

That’s nice and all but when your team wins 2 games and you sit on $80 million in cap, you need to adjust. I understand the need to build slowly through the draft but let’s not act like he’s amazing drafter either. Perine, Zuniga, Morgan, Clark leave a lot to be desired. I think for sure he is better than Macagnan and Idzik but let’s not act like this guy is proven himself when the team got worse after his first offseason.

NCJetsfan, SOJAZ and The Dark Knight like this.
  11. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Boston radio is hating the Patriot offseason.

Except for Scott "I'm a dumbass" Zolak. He's like the typical jock that is in PG movies. Can't wait for the clips of him making fun of Jets and Dolphins winning off seasons over the past few years.

Red Menace and abyzmul like this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We really need a core of homegrown players. Ones who develop into tier 1 players that we extend when the time comes. FA's should supplement that core. Right now, we have Becton and Q who are possible core players. Maybe Mims too, but he needs to stay healthy and produce.

13. REVISion

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect either the best C or best G in free agency given we have one of the worst interior OL's and the 2nd most cap space in the league.

Some of you acting like that's a crazy request need to take a step back and think.

NCJetsfan and Bellys Lies like this.
  14. Johnnypump

Johnnypump Member

Free agency is a special time of the year. Free agency gives you a chance to bring in some veterans to help your team in their pursuit of the Lombardi trophy. I say build predominantly through the draft but you need those skilled veterans to teach those draft picks. Our team has so many spots to fill on both sides of the ball. However, we have made just 1 signing today. We have a plethora of cap space. We need to do better. Look at the Patriots. They have 1 bad season. Have you seen how many signings they made today? We constantly sit back and look for “ depth “ signings, I hear to often about the mantra of “ due diligence “ or let’s “ take a flier” on a player. We sit here and we are constantly concerned about what the player will be paid. Look at the this years Super Bowl Champs, the Tampa Bay Bucs. They are a small market team and are successful. We are in the largest media market in the country and we are worried about paying players. Bottom line is pay your players! Acquire talent! You don’t win with second level, bargain talent. So tired of the same nonsense from this team and their ownership every year. Let’s get it together and let’s do what it takes to get better.

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Again, the best guard in free agency just signed a monster deal with the best team in the league to block for the best QB in the league.

We were NEVER going to beat that.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If your wondering why a SB-ready team like KC had to way-overpay for a guard, it's because teams like ours and other bad teams were offering Thuney a shit ton and then some. His agent had a field day with this one. His got his player on a great team AND he got him paaaaaaaaid!

Kinda like Cousins 3 years ago. He parlayed interest from McCagnan into a crazy-ass deal from Vikes.

And this is also why NE had no chance of re-signing Thuney. He should send thank you cards to the Jets and probably a few more shit-teams for jacking his price to the moon.

Br4d, abyzmul and jets_fan like this.
  17. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

We're not going to beat many teams out for FAs this offseason without paying a hefty Jets tax to do so.

Thuney was never coming here. Why come here, a team coming off a 2-win season and that has no QB, and no potential to really compete in 2021, when he can get a crazy amount of money to go literally anywhere else? It's just icing on the cake for him that that other place is a team that's been to back-to-back Super Bowls and has the best QB in the league.

18. REVISion

Again, I'm not even saying we should've gotten Thuney AND Linsley. But to get neither and not even inquire about the price of one of them? It's absurd. Linsley was an all pro last year. This feels like JD not wanting to admit that McGovern was not a good signing yet.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Still plenty of guys out there man. There's one guard gone. Linsley wouldn't have made much sense after McGovern finally settled in and played well last year.

If we sign an edge and receiver we're doing pretty well.

20. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Current negotiations are over $10 billion Per year for TV, plus 1 Billion per year for streaming rights to Thursday night games. That's a $3 billion dollar per year increase not counting what offers come for streaming of Sunday games.
    That's a 37.5 % increase before streaming rights for Sat and Sunday games. Those rights could go as high as 4 billion per year.
    So your looking at anywhere from 37.5 % to 100 % increase in yearly revenue. The $10 million per year for 2 years will be pretty insignificant in 2022 and 23.