FA & Potential Roster Moves

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Feb 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

My thoughts on the EDGE rushers in this FA class.

It's actually a strong class IMO. There's some boom and bust potential but there's some guys I'd feel would shine.

Carl Lawson- Lawson is exactly the type SOME GM's and fans may feel would be the one to take a risk on. He profiles very well athetlcally off the edge, but he really was a part timer. Perhaps he'd turn into this super stud with more PT, under Saleh's tuitlage and playing alongside some stud's on the interior like Q and JFM, to a lesser extent. The risk here is he hasn't had the sack numbers...you'd be going off potential here. I feel like he's a star if he'd come here.

Shaq Barrett- He's the most accomplished and the one that if you get, you're surely going to get big time sack numbers and a force off the edge. Thing is, he's going to cost a TON...and yes the Jets have the money to pay Barrett top dollar, but will they? I'm not sure, but he's almost a sure a bet in this EDGE class.

Haason Reddick- I did some digging on Reddick and come to find out, he really played the WILL until he was moved to EDGE, and he had 11.5 sacks. Is he now at his more natural position? Seems to be yes, that he was miscast for YEARS and is finally at a place where he'd make an impact.

JaDaveon Clowney- Clowney has the name but he really doesn't do it for me if the Jets need EDGE pass rushing help. He's honestly a good run defender and has moments as a pass rusher. I personally wouldn't offer him money to be the GUY here. I feel he's moreso a guy a team takes a chance on where they have a sure thing, and JC can come and provide a boost.

Romeo Okwara- Okwara maybe the guy who's price tag goes up due to age/ability/results. 10 sacks last year, he's trending up and posted better numbers then say, Lawson.

Trey Hendrickson- Trey had 13.5 sacks...simply this guy just knows how to get to the QB. He's not as flashy as the likes of Barrett but dude is GOOD. Not quite a one year wonder like Okwara and Lawson, Trey may land the 2nd most money out of this EDGE class.

Bud Dupree- Dupree was on his way to a monster year before tearing his knee up. Now, will teams pay up for a long term deal? Will he bet on himself and play on a one year deal before entering the market again to get big money? He's the most questionable guy right now due to the knee and if he can do it with not having a TJ Watt on the other side.

Yannick Ngakoue- Yannick was the guy who made noise to get out of JAX, only to have two quiet stops last season between MIN and BAL. He's talented but he maybe a headcase and honestly the money may not match the output.

Leonard Floyd- Floyd couldn't do much off the edge when he had Mack but had 10.5 sacks with a monster in Donald alongside him. Is he a guy who needs a dominant DT to take pressure off him? He could be a product of having a beast like Donald but guess what, Q showed flashes of dominance and he could be the guy who can keep Floyd being a GOOD pass rusher off that edge.

Matt Judon- Judon is a guy who doesn't really wow you off the edge but he productive. He honestly is a guy I felt Jordan Jenkins could be...just a solid pass rusher.

HOW I'D RATE THEM
    Barrett
    Hendrickson
    Okwara
    Lawson
    Reddick
    Dupree
    Ngakoue
    Clowney
    Judon
    Floyd

Noam and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Just as an example of how other teams are in bad cap shape, compare the Jets with probably $80-$90 million in cap space (depending upon cuts) with the Rams, who have to find $32 million over the next 4 days. It seems that the $32 million will just get them under the cap, and doesn't mention cap space to sign rookies, so they probably need to clear $42 million at least.

Only 4 teams are thought to be interested in Thuney: the Bengals, Jets, Dolphins and Giants. The Jets have much more cap space than any of them. The only question is how high is Joe Douglas willing to go.

joelip likes this.
  3. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Besides tagging Marcus Maye and releasing Henry Anderson, the Jets have not done very much. Kind of surprising because I feel they have other players they can cut and some other soon-to-be free agents they could re-sign. Maybe Douglas will do a lot at once when it begins, or maybe he just truly likes taking his time with decisions.

Either way, things are about to heat up! :cool:

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

I agree that it has been surprising, even though I think Joe does like to take his time, and think through things carefully. I don't see him as the "knee-jerk reaction" type. I think he's waiting to cut Lewis until he know that he has signed Thuney or someone better to replace him. That's smart. He'd be in a mess if he cut Lewis, then couldn't sign Thuney or any other OG he liked, and then have someone even worse than Lewis playing LG. I think things are definitely about to heat up!

joelip and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I see it as JD waiting to see who gets released in the knowledge he as a full deck of cards to play with.

No good speeding into the first cap casualties and then seeing a player in the same position that you would have loved to sign get released at the last minute.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Considering a more normal season ahead with increased revenues and a climbing cap a year from now Douglas should be in no hurry to empty the piggy bank. Spend some in free agency this year when other teams cannot compete for lack of cap space and bank a bunch for next year when all teams will benefit from a higher cap. It's not like 2021 will be a Super Bowl season anyway and it will give time to analyze the result of the moves made now with the draft and free agency.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Didn't think we would even look at him to be honest.

The Dark Knight, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Samuel would seem to be a better fit for the LaFleur offense but it's been ages since we had a true #1 WR.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  9. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Is it JD’s preference as the WR? Or it it just assume that the Jets have one of the highest cap space that Golladay will be looked at?

I think an DE, OL, CB and WR should be the priority in FA in that order. Hopefully JD gets all 4 areas of top FA’s and a has solid draft.

#369 MDJets, Mar 14, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  10. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with Golladay. He is a true upgrade over Robby Anderson. I felt Douglas did not feel Robby was worth the money (or any other FA WR last year) so he was waiting a year to pick one up when there were better options. Kenny Golladay would certainly be one.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

And this is a strategy I absolutely agree with. Gimme any of Samuel, Galladay or JuJu long term over a short term Robby deal.

Edit: and I’m not even a JuJu fan.

#371 BroadwayAaron, Mar 14, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
  12. NCJetsfan

13. NCJetsfan

So could the Jets:

14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

My final estimations before this all kicks off:

-I expect Linsley to be the biggest priority. 2 seasons in Matt LaFleur’s system means he can bring knowledge and help any young QB with protection calls and bring cohesiveness to the line. McGovern can play guard for a year.

-Curtis Samuel fits the offense perfectly and fills a role that is currently vacant on the roster. I expect him to be another priority.

-I think they will look at Thuney but the priority will be Linsley. Both is a possibility.

-With the surprise availability of Shaq Barrett, I think they may be interested in his services.

-I think either Richard Sherman or Jason Verrett will be reported as in talks with the Jets.

chandler likes this.
  15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

16. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

At the end we will have many mix feelings. I won't be happy until we see what we got in games. Sorry to say as a long time JET fan (1962) I pray for the best but have little faith in our organization. JMHO!!

17. NCJetsfan

Damn! There goes Jonnu Smith

Noam likes this.
  18. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.