Rex Ryan + Mike Tannenbaum's drafting

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Sack exchange

Sack exchange Well-Known Member

I recall Mangini drafted the Ghost! Not too phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Mangini and Tannebaum came at the same time. Not sure who to blame Gholston on, lol

3. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

True,
    but Mangold, Dbrick, Revis, Harris, Leon Washington, Brad Smith

Leicester Jet and NCJetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Gholston was truly a mistake in retrospect, but I can't blame them too much for that. He was clearly the top Edge rush prospect in that draft, the Jets desperately needed one, and it had already been a number of years since Abe was traded away. They were desperate. He scared me. Initially, I really wanted him, but when he was a complete non-factor in the national championship game and I learned that he had only started playing football in high school, I backed off. Still, if they had passed on him, and went on to become a star somewhere else, they would have gotten killed by the NY media and fanbase over that.

ConcordeChops likes this.
  5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I would take Mangini now in an advisory position with this team. He drafted pretty well just horrible at coaching. Revis, Mangold Leon Washington, David Harris, D Brick Ferguson. When have the Jets had a draft even close to that over a period of 2 years?

J-Raw24 likes this.
  6. Sack exchange

Yeah other than the ghost, not bad. Remember Tanny had some nice drafts, Revis, Brick, etc. if he could have kept Farve, and not drafted Sanchez, might have had a couple of SB wins, but the trade was a steal. But Sanchez was not it! I don’t think Tanny was bad, he especially did some nice FA acquisitions, and trades for established players. I think he was great with that for most part. Idzik and Macc were the worst!!!!

7. boozer32

I would have taken that chance of being killed. They still got blasted because of it. He only played what 2 years with the Jets. Probably the worst draft pick ever by the Jets for sure.

8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Rex did all he could to get him a sack and that's saying something. What a waste of a pick.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets had a 6 pick draft in 2001, a 5 pick draft in 2002, a 4 pick draft in 2007, a 6 pick in draft in 2008, a 3 pick draft in 2009, a 4 pick draft in 2010 and a 6 pick draft in 2011.

They did have a 10 pick draft in 2006 along the way but basically they were missing about 10 picks over the course of the decade and the picks that went missing were generally mid to high round picks. Over time that is going to catch up with a franchise.

By the time Idzik came along the Jets were in a deep talent deficit and he did nothing to fix that with two of the worst drafts in Jets history despite having a lot of picks.

One of the inflection points in Jets history was Idzik coming to the Jets naked with no additional help coming in alongside him. There were maybe two hires on his side of the organization when he showed up instead of the usual house cleaning that a new GM conducts. Either he was unable to convince talent from his travels to come in alongside him or he was constrained from doing so by mandates from ownership coming in the door. This might explain why it took him more than 24 hours to accept the job after he was offered it.

10. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

Has anybody considered the obvious?? It’s staring you in the face! It’s AUNTS. The AUNTS came over...to help out!

Ralebird likes this.
  11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Nobody's perfect.

Sack exchange likes this.
  12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Given the mandates that came with the job trading Revis, keeping Rex and listening to Rex, I have to believe it was the latter rather than the former.

We weren't that far removed from the mirage that was the back to back AFCCG appearances and a relatively successful opening decade for Woody, so I imagine he thought he knew exactly what he was doing as some sort of franchise building expert.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think the Dee MIlliner pick gives that a run for the money. Kid was always hurt in college. Using the 9th pick on him was professional malpractice.

boozer32 likes this.
  14. boozer32

So many horrible picks by the Jets. Devon Smith is another one. Can't even remember seeing him play at all for the Jets.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I understand that Gholston sucked and would've been a bust regardless. But what never made sense to me is why he was never even fucking activated? You spent the sixth overall pick on this damn dude.

There's no need to "learn the defense" if you activate him and threw him out there on third and longs and said go get the quarterback.

Again, it likely would've made zero difference but it was a large capital investment in the guy. Make sure he was absolutely destined to sink.

Sack exchange likes this.
  16. Sack exchange

Yeah I felt the same way, he must have really sucked, or just checked out after getting paid with pick 6 money... looked the part for sure, but I am with you, why not let him suck, at least the fans would have understood why he’s on the pine. I thought of it like we had signed Tebow, and didn’t give him a game, we instead started some scrubs instead. I can’t imagine he was worse than Sanchez, or said scrubs at the time... why sign him? Just dumb.

17. Sack exchange

Blair Thomas was probably the worst pick in jets history by a large margin. He set the jets back for awhile. We also took Johnny Lam Jones 2nd. We don’t have strong history drafting 2nd! Hope we change that this week year!

#37 Sack exchange, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  18. Sack exchange

We had less picks because we traded up for picks, or traded for some good established players. So need to figure that in those drafts. Got Keller, revis, etc. Holmes cromarte and edwards. All were mice adds for picks.

19. Sack exchange

I always wondered how much power he had during the drafts he was coach, there are some horrendous drafts! I absolutely hated watching Wilson get burned every game! 2nd round picks just putrid. And when Tanny left, idzik the worst, wonder if Rex had more of a say... Drafts were not one of Rexs strong points. And ultimately his downfall...

#39 Sack exchange, Mar 11, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You spend a draft pick to try to fill a position for 5 years, maybe 10 if you get lucky.

The Jets spent all those picks on cotton candy that was melting on their tongue before they finished eating it. Revis was the lone exception and in a vacuum that trade up might have been a good thing but alongside all the other nonsense it was a part of the reason 2011 happened and the Jets have been garbage since.