Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I definitely think Sam can improve, but I think he needs a change of scenery and he needs for his new team to invest in him long term. They need to sign him to a new 2-3 year deal or extend him, and then sit him this year and have him work on fixing his footwork, accuracy, learning to read the D, and his decision making. That will also take a bunch of pressure off of him. If he and his new team are willing to do that, then I think he can at least become a solid starter in the NFL. He may never achieve the potential he once had, but he could, perhaps with some counseling in addition to the other work that he does to improve his game. I think SF would be the ideal place for him. They have Garoppolo. There's no rush to get Sam onto the field. He can sit and learn from Shanahan and the Niners QB Coach. If I were the GM of a very good team like the Niners that needs a better QB, doesn't have the draft position to get one, and where I thought Darnold would fit the offense, I'd trade for him if he would agree to an extension at a reasonable price, and tell him that he would sit in 2021 regardless of what happened, but that the plan would be for him to be the starter day one in 2022. I think a scenario like that is his best chance. Neither he nor his agent would proabably accept something like that, and that's sad, because if he is traded somewhere he starts this year, he'll never come close to reaching his potential, and will probably be out of the league within 2-3 years unless he decides that he'll be happy being a backup for the rest of his career. The kid needs to get his head on straight and fix his footwork.

#721 NCJetsfan, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Donttasemebro and azhar80 like this.
  2. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

Any QB drafted instead of Darnold would be terrible too considering the mindless and clueless coaches that didn't know how to develop the rookie QB. Then you bring in a supposed offensive guru who didn't have the talent to develop him. So now you wasted 3 seasons of a 23-year-old and expect him to be the next Tom Brady. The least you can do is give him a chance with a coach like Mike LaFleur who will implement a QB-friendly system that Darnold may blossom. Kid has the talent, brains and arm to be successful. I will say that Darnold is terrible at reading defenses and that could be the root of his problem. Saleh can teach him the right way. I'm still going to trust JD with the draft and decisions he needs to do.

3. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

It certainly is unless you have a top tier QB.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This is certainly true. When it comes to the podium with a mic, JD has been very cryptic. He's never 'leaked' anything to the media. but BEHIND the scenes he's talking to a lot of people. His staff, Sam's agent, maybe 49ers staff, maybe even with Sam himself.

So while JD has never slipped, sooner or later someone else could.

VegasMav likes this.
  5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

5 years of playoffs and a SB win, followed by a year where they miss the playoffs. Rinse and repeat

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure of the "brains" part.

REVISion likes this.
  7. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

The whole blaming it all on the coaching thing is so bizarre to me. Like, did you watch Sam play this year? A coach shouldn't have to tell a QB not to run out of bounds for a sack, throw into triple coverage, miss open receivers or sail it over their heads when he does see them.

I've been anti-Sam since halfway through the 2019 season, so I've watched him with all of the excuses in mind for a full 1.5 seasons. His problems have almost nothing to do with coaching.

JetBlue likes this.
  8. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Goff is the most likely outcome — a great coach elevates him for a short period but ultimately he will end up what he always was, a bad QB.

Jonathan_Vilma and REVISion like this.
  9. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Continuity is one of the strongest things in winning a/championships. We can hit the ground running by keeping and building.
    Sam is MORE than capable it's just JETS fans always think the grass is greener.
    They're sold on this ESPN highlight, video game mentality where if your QB isn't as great as Mahomes, Rodgers or Jackson we can't win.

The money is a NON issue rn If anything the situation is perfect to Keep Darnold.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The money is NOT a non-issue. You are mistaken imo, just as you are mistaken about Darnold. It has nothing to do with a video game mentality. I've never even seen Madden or any other football video game, much less played them. Sam is severely flawed. He was when we drafted him and still is. I'm sorry that you can't see that.

#730 NCJetsfan, Mar 9, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    Lon Chaney likes this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

What reason do we have to believe the bold is true? Because he was a pretty good prospect coming out of college?

Nobody is saying Sam needs to be Mahomes or Rodgers, but are we out of line for asking for him to be better than literally the worst starter in the league? Because that's what he's been so far over his first 3 years. Teams with QB's that bad almost never compete for a title. Hell, teams with average QB's almost never do it either.

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

There is nothing beneficial about the continuity that leads to consistent losing seasons.

REVISion and KWJetsFan like this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Then trade him to the Bengals for the 5th , plus pick up next years 1 or two from them. You upgrade the LT spot, pick again 3 spots later and have additional picks next year.

#733 TonyFtLaud, Mar 10, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  14. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I don't expect him to be Tom Brady. I expect him not to throw into triple coverage.

The big issue is the contact. It's impossible for Sam to play here on his current contract. What's the best case scenario? The Jets go 8-8 and Sam does progress? Then what? You have a FA QB who you are gonna have to pay, if he wants to stay here. Or you'll be drafting in the late teens and not sniffing a top QB in the draft.

Either extend him 2 years now if you believe he's fixable or sell to the highest bidder. Those are the only realistic options.

15. Footballgod214

So when Sam goes on to play really well for a different club what will your excuse be? "Oh...Oh...well, well,...ahhh"

16. Footballgod214

Probably shouldn't include 2019. Sam closed out the year 6-2 and was the top rated QB in the NFL over the last 4 games, while playing behind the undisputed worst oline in football. Agreed, Gase/covid-2020 season was a disaster though.

Br4d likes this.
  17. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

You can't CONSISTENTLY win if you don't have a top QB. It's been proven. Sure, there are odd years where a team makes the playoffs and then makes a run with an average QB. But to be in the playoffs year after year, you need a top QB.

And like NC said, and I mentioned in my last post, money and his contact are EVERYTHING in this situation. Unless Darnold agrees to something like 2 year extension at 12 mil per, there is no way he can play this year under his current contract. It makes zero sense for the Jets.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

He still finished 27th in QBR in 2019. He had a very good stretch to finish the year but he was still a bottom tier QB that year in total.

19. Footballgod214

Yup. He finished strong and saved his (and Gase's) job. TBH I can't figure him out. He can look really good one game, then shit the bed the next. There's no doubt Sam can't carry a bad team. He'll need a good team around him, starting with oline to even have a shot.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't think any QB can carry a bad team.

In fact I will say it affirmatively: no QB can carry a bad team.

Great QB's can get a decent team over the hump. They can sometimes save a good team on a bad day. They can't carry a bad team and very few of them can look good trying.

Drew Brees was a beast when the Saints were down. It's hard to get 5-11 talent to 7-9 but he managed to do it 4 years out of 5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.