Jets draft ineptitude

Discussion in 'Draft' started by ukjetsfan, Mar 8, 2021.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I know we have frequently talked about how bad the Jets are at drafting, but I saw a stat today that really shocked me:

"Since the 2010 draft, the Jets have re-signed five picks to second contracts -- Muhammad Wilkerson, Bilal Powell, Brian Winters, Quincy Enunwa and Jordan Jenkins."

I'd need to do a lot of digging I'm not going to do to see how that stacks up with the rest of the league, but it sounds absolutely abysmal to me.

The fact was buried in a story here: https://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-...tery-ticket-as-zach-wilsons-draft-stock-soars

westiedog1 and James Hasty like this.
  2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What else is new? A more complete picture could be seen by finding out how long each draftee stayed in the league and how many thrived elsewhere and how many are gone completely as compare with similar draft picks elsewhere.

westiedog1 likes this.
  3. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

No doubt, but I'm buggered if I'm doing that much work!

patleahy likes this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

But think of how satisfying it would be to prove how really awful the situation is.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It has already been done before, don't look, hardly any of them are still in the league, it is a staggering ineptitude of drafting.

probably in one of the Mac threads before he got the sack.

alleycat9, tomdeb, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  6. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Interesting and I guess we all can’t be surprised. I can understand why Jet fans are desperately wanting Watson regardless of the costs of the picks.

It makes more sense to build the team through the draft especially with 4 #1 picks, and several multiple round picks in the next 2 seasons however their record of past drafting doesn’t give you much confidence. Maybe JD is the real deal?

PJ4Ever, K'OB and joelip like this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Probably the only thing the Jets have done worse at than drafting players is picking players in free agency. Basically we've been screwed whether we draft them or pay them.

cval likes this.
  8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Part of the reason for this is that the Jets traded away their malcontents who earned second contracts elsewhere.

Leonard Williams, Sheldon Richardson, and Jamal Adams are all talented players.

alleycat9 likes this.
  9. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

honestly don't remember Williams as a malcontent. What did i miss?

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The Rams in the mid 2000's post greatest show on turf rival it. Browns 2003-2013ish was pretty awful. Lions 2000-2010.

Yeah it's been all-time bad.

So our defensive would've been better and we still would've been offensively inept regardless. We do need to start retaining talent though.

11. twown

twown Well-Known Member

If your child accidentally swallows bleach, immediately show them that list of our recent second round draft picks. After vomiting, the child should drink several glasses of water.

Pepsiguy5, Jonathan_Vilma and K'OB like this.
  12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That is abysmul.

13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I don't either. What I do remember is them playing him out of position. One season with the Giants and he looks all world. It wasn't all drafting with the Jets it was awful coaching too.

alleycat9 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

And point of fact, three second signing were a mistake: Wilkerson, a big bust, plus Winters and Enunwa complete under achievers or preverbally injured..

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I'm also confident that under JD the past will no longer repeat itself.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. 24McNeil

24McNeil Well-Known Member

What do you honestly expect? Every other year we use a 1st round pick on a defensive tackle and then we use that defensive tackle to replace the defensive tackle we used a 1st round pick on two years earlier. it's an endless cycle of stupid and we can't figure it the f&ck out, hence we are always drafting in the top 5 - 6 picks.

17. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Let’s talk about Jets’ history area of strengths for first round picks. Perhaps they should only focus on two areas where they have done well with first round picks: OL and LB.

And neither are our major first pick selection.

boozer32 likes this.
  18. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

That is the problem...and it comes from the top. We’ve had historically god-awful GMs. The Johnsons hired them. Even Parcells wasn’t a great GM and had many draft blunders....it’s just that Parcells the coach was great enough to bail out Parcells the mediocre GM.

but combine clueless motherfuckers like Idzik, Mac, Bradway, with poor coaching and this is what you get.

I don’t know if JD will truly be the answer in the long run....but even with his “pretty good” type rating to date, he’s MILES better than the shit on toast we’ve called GMs for the past decade. That alone gives me hope. Then seeing that CJ pretty much is letting JD run the show gives me more hope....at least he can see that we have a pretty good football guy now and he seems willing to let him run the entire show....pick the coach, manage the coach, etc.

There’s hope.

I get the thinking that all the historical shit doesn’t have anything to do with JD, and while that maybe true, history DOES tend to repeat itself, and that’s because the common element in it is that the key decisions were being made by inept owners without a damn clue. If they can see that and change it, we have a shot.

Idzik had the same plan but couldn’t identify talent. If JD can, and so far it looks promising, then we may be in good shape.

we’ll see.

19. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Someone did this a year ago looking at Maccagnan's drafts, basically from 2015 on. I want to say it concluded that Mac literally had one of the worst stretches of drafting of any GM ever.

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

I never realized we were bad at drafting, silly me always thought it was a developmental issue LOL

No matter how successful a GM is at drafting quality players, he'll never compare to a seasoned arm chair hindsight GM