Chris Simms and Curious Case of Zach Wilson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Mar 3, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey man, that's research. RESEARCH!!

major33 likes this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I have had my eye on Wyatt Davis, hoping the early 2nd rounder may well be good enough to get him or Jalen Mayfield @ RT or maybe RG.

RochesterJet likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You saw "some" tape. I have now watched almost every throw in every game from this past season. Yes, some WRs were wide open, but one can say the same thing about Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Jones and Mond. Wilson made every throw a QB has to make including a LOT of tight window throws. He does need to add some muscle to his frame. They had an easy schedule this year, because the games that BYU had scheduled were all canceled. Wilson can't help that. He can only play against the teams that BYU manages to line up. They normally play 3-5 games a year against PAC-12 teams, but the PAC-12 didn't play non-conference games this year. The BYU athletic director had to scramble to line up games. The game with Coastal Carolina was arranged 2 days prior. BYU barely got to practice then they had to travel cross country, got in late, and had little sleep/rest before the game. You obviously have not spent a lot of time watching Wilson, watching experts analyze his play, and haven't watched the Chris Simms podcast. Do that, and if you still think the same way, then your opinion might carry some weight.

4. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

I don’t know much about Wilson but from what I read here and in other new sources. I certainly hope and will trust JD and Saleh, but I am curious who would be the back up QB. If Wilson is the guy and struggles, I don’t want the Jets go go in a shithole again and stay competitive because we have hopefully upgraded our line,and improve our offensive weapons. Flacco is not the answer for me.

5. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

So you've watched and studied in-depth every single IOL in this draft? That's a lot of work you've already put in during the past several years. Impressive!

The fact of the matter is really good players can always be found in every round of every draft no matter the position. With the Possible exception of QB. The great GMs find these players.

Every year we see linemen go high and they turn out busts. You never really know how a player will perform until they step onto an NFL field. A smart tough player who is committed to coaching and being great can in fact become great. We see it every year.

Oh, and the guy you love, Joe Thuney, was taken 78th overall. That is the 3rd round. I'm sure you would have said the same thing about him back then. He isn't agile or athletic enough, & that's why he dropped to the 3rd round. But, as we know, great GMs find these diamonds in the rough and that's why they win.

I hated Darnold coming out of college. He was my least favorite of all the QBs. I said so on this board. People said I was wrong. All the "experts" said he would be a star. I'm not right about everything, just happened to get that one right because unlike most, I watched Darnold in college and studied him. I have not watched and studied the IOL, and I'm willing to bet you haven't either because that would be a lot of players to watch every weekend.

Getting back to the IOL. As you said, it makes no difference what school the players attended. Many of these players still need to be tested for agility and other factors such as what types of schemes they played in, and could they make the switch to a wide zone scheme. Maybe they have not been asked to play in such a scheme and instead, just keep it simple. The great players however study all different techniques and can get better by using their smarts even if they aren't the most athletic. We see it all the time in pro sports. That's why great players fall, usually because of the perception of not being athletic enough.

Only time will tell, and that time is when they first step onto an NFL field and begin the learning process all over again.

BacktoQueens and abyzmul like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

What is it with people here and under-valuing the #2 pick? That pick is worth TWO #1s. Agreeing to trade back to 4 and only getting a 2nd and 3rd rounder shouldn't even be considered by Douglas.

7. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of the value. For me, the ideal scenario is trading back to 8-12 and getting current and future day 1 and early day two picks

we need to build this roster for the long haul and JD is on record saying as much

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You said you'd be willing to trade the equivalent of two first round picks in return for 1 lower first round pick, and "their 2nd OR 3rd". How does even come close to value? IDK what Douglas or any other GM would do, but for me, I would want two firsts this year, the #4 plus another one, AND a 2nd or 3rd this year, and a first next year, and if it was a team coming from farther back, I'd want a 2nd or 3rd next year too, and maybe their 1st or a high 2nd in 2023.

We're talking about allowing a team to draft their FQB. What do you think a team would ask from Douglas next year to move up to #2?

I want him to stay at #2 and take Wilson who I believe will become the FQB we've been looking for for 50 years, but if he trades back it had better be for a true HAUL that would either enable him to take another QB plus WR, RB. OL. etc. or that he can use to position himself to move up next year if necessary.

K'OB and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

I think there are two vets who would be a good fit. C.J. Beathard and Tyrod Taylor. LaFleur knows Beathard from SF, and he could help others learn the offense. Taylor is a mobile athletic QB in the same vein as Wilson, so they wouldn't have to change the offense dramatically. Morgan would be the #3.

donkey and K'OB like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

I never said that I had watched and studied in depth every single IOL in this draft. I said that am in process of researching them, and that so far I haven't see many that will fit our blocking scheme.

It's obvious that you aren't looking for a civil conversation, and that you just want to be an ass, so go fuck yourself.

11. major33

What is with the personal attack? What is wrong with you? Let's face it, I blew up your entire argument about IOL in this draft by bringing up Joe Thuney. Instead of personally attacking me, you could have agreed and realized that the draft is not an exact science and you don't really know much about all of the IOL as you initially claimed. You were the one who said this draft is lacking in IOL since they don't fit our scheme. Now you're saying that you don't yet know because you're still in the process of doing your research. You are contradicting yourself.

You cannot admit to really knowing about the quality of the IOL and whether or not they fit our scheme because Thuney is your guy & he lasted until midway through the 3rd round! #78!! If I didn't bring up Thuney, you would not have personally attacked me.

So you bail out of the conversation with the personal insult making it seem as if I did not put up a reasoned response to your initial post. Sorry, but facts are facts. You just want someone to agree with you 100% of the time. I'm sorry if I offended you in any way.

BacktoQueens and Ralebird like this.
  12. K'OB

I know we have talked about this in the past and I am glad you have added Bleathard to the vets list, I still don't like Taylor, I know why you wanted him when you had Fields coming here as you could base the offence around the same plan for either QB.

But is Wilson enough of a running QB to fit Taylor into the offence?

13. K'OB

What do you think of Jalen Mayfield at RT or RG or Wyatt Davis at RG both have been mentioned, especially Davis.

14. NCJetsfan

I don't think Wilson will run that much in the NFL. He looks to throw first and foremost. I think he will take 10-15 yards like Rodgers does, when the middle of the field is open and the nearest defender is 30 yards away, but mostly he will look to throw the ball. I didn't see Taylor play last year before he was injured, but with his injuries the last couple of years and his getting older, I'm not sure how much he runs any more. I could be mistaken, but I don't think there's a huge difference between Taylor and Wilson. Taylor still might run more than Wilson, but he still would be a fit for our offense. He's not great, but he's probably better than Beathard and has more experience. I could easily see the Jets signing Beathard, however, because La Fleur knows him, has experience working with him, knows that Beathard knows the offense, and can help teach others on offense.

K'OB likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

You're the one who made the personal attack, misquoting, making snide comments, etc. If you can't figure that out, then maybe you need to take an English course.

16. major33

You know just as much as I do about the O-Line. I would just be going off scouting reports, so we're both in the same boat when it comes to knowing who we should select at that position.

K'OB likes this.
  17. major33

You are the one who said this is not a great draft for IOL. You said it. I did not say it. You did. But now you're changing your tune and saying you're in the process of researching them. So how could you know that this is not a great draft for IOL if you haven't completed your research?

Ok, I'll let you off the hook on this one until you finish your research. :):):):):):):):):)

BacktoQueens likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I'm not changing any tune. I said in my initial post to vilma that I was in process of researching them. Do you know what the words "So far" mean? Evidently not.

At any rate, I stand by my statement. It's not a great draft for IOL, or at least it doesn't appear to be. I could be wrong. It's happened before, and will undoubtedly happen again. I can live with it.

19. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

NC

He did nothing to warrant this personal attack from you. He is making an argument. Like you do against many others. Please refrain from personal attacks. Thanks. Brook

major33 and Ralebird like this.
  20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Can't we all just get along?

HomeoftheJets likes this.