Chris Simms and Curious Case of Zach Wilson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Mar 3, 2021.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That is if they aren't afraid of taking a BYU QB at 2 and end up trading down...

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't believe that Douglas or Saleh will throw a drafted QB into the fire right away unless he clearly shows that he's obviously better than anyone else, and he can handle the pro speed based on T.C. and preseason. I think their preference will be the Reid approach with Mahomes.

Jets81, Borat and Rockinz like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

I agree but I think you meant Chris Simms, Phil's son.

Noam likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

Just to add to this, here's a review by JT O'Sullivan (The QB School):

CFB Analysis: Kellen Mond vs Florida - Bing video

Only one game vs. Florida but Mond looks pretty good, and shows great deep ball accuracy and a strong arm. Of course, if the only game we saw of Fields was vs. Clemson we'd declare him the greatest QB prospect since Manning!

Anyway, as I find some other tape, if it's any good I'll pass it along. I still want Wilson though.

Borat likes this.
  5. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Reid had Alex Smith. CJ Beathard is not Alex Smith.

6. ColoradoContrails

Reid was also at a point of having a SB contending team, which we aren't close to having.

PJ4Ever, RochesterJet and LAJet like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

EDIT:

Okay, here's another video. I've never heard of this analyst before (he sounds like he's about 16):

Kellen Mond FILM BREAKDOWN I QB, Texas A&M - YouTube

Honestly, the "analyst" is more of an amateur trying to sound like an expert, but the film is still useful to make your own judgments on.

8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

On what planet is this not a great draft for offensive lineman? It could be the best in a decade+.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that I don't think they'd throw Wilson to the wolves day one if he isn't ready, but I also think they'd start him day one if he proved to be the best QB.

#89 NCJetsfan, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Borat and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

In depth with Simms about his general scouting style and Wilson over Lawrence:

Borat likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Guy, you either have to slow down and read more carefully, work on your reading comprehension, or stop drinking before you respond to posts.

Here's the post you quoted:

12. Sid Youngelman

Sid Youngelman Active Member

Yes, Chris.

Yankjetfan likes this.
  13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Ok you said it's not a great draft for IOL but you also wouldn't see us going heavy OL. So you covered all your bases.

I'm not reading and responding to all this jargon you think you know based on watching zero games and regurgitating what you've read on draft sites. Notre Dame has two mid-round prospects that project well. A&M as well deeper in the draft. Wyatt Davis would be a good fit, he's a solid athlete. There's a lot of value at IOL in this draft even if every single one doesn't fit what you've "researched" about the system.

#93 Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    themorey, Ralebird and abyzmul like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

With regards to Lance, Simms said that he likes the way Lance throws the ball better than Fields. He said this mechanics are better more consistently. He said that the biggest negative is that he hasn't played that much. He started one year (2019), and then one game last year. He said that a lot of his reads were one-reads and then throw. He said he didn't see progression reads or see him stand in the pocket and pick defenses apart. He didn't see Lance make all the throws, and in a lot of games Lance only threw like 15 times or so. He likes Lance's raw talent. He thinks he's the best runner of the top QBs.

He has Fields rated higher because he's played more, more big games, and in more situations.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Couple things Simms mentions.

First he says he hears 'all that stuff' written about these prospects (too immature, bone head things, etc) and he just waves all that noise away and focusses 100% on just what he sees on the field. He analyzes arm strength, arm talent, throws from different angles, off platform, all the stuff we like to read. He doesn't tweak his analysis to accommodate any off-field issues. "Just the facts mam" . So it's possible Simms picks his #1 guys, but the other stuff like attitude, immaturity, etc can also play a roll.

So Simm's contribution, even though an excellent analysis, is just one important part of the equation. Someone like JD has to put all the pieces together.

Another thing is Simms doesn't like to hear/read what someone else has already said about these QBs. Simms says he thinks he's one of the best at analyzing college QBs and wants his analysis to stand on it's onw merit with no outside influence.

Last, Simms has said several times he hopes to parley his talent evaluation skills into a GM position some day. He's very serious about this. Every time his does his big board he spends days/week/hours into it and treats the outcome like part of his overall resume to be handed to an owner some day. So he does take this very seriously.

Brook!, REVISion and major33 like this.
  16. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I agree with you and am a bit perplexed as to why he thinks this not a good draft for IOL. I'm not going to pretend I'm an O-Line guru, but from everything I've read and tape I've looked at, it sure seems like this draft is stacked with a lot of potential all across the O-Line. Of course, we could be wrong since it becomes a bit tricky as the draft moves on, but to me, it looks like there's a boatload of quality in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I'm also going by the schools that these players come from. Lots of big-time schools have players falling out of the first round...according to the mock drafts.

This is why GMs get paid the big bucks to find quality in players that get passed up. We need to find those diamonds in the rough as all great GMs do. Since it's a tricky position to evaluate, NCJetsfan could be 100% correct or 100% wrong. The bottom line is we're going to have to find talent in every round. Enough of these crap drafts. There are studs to be had after round 1, as there are in every draft. Hopefully, JD is the one to land a few of them. If he can do that, and also get us a QB, we will be on our way up. If not, then we will continue to be mired in mediocrity even with a good QB.

17. NCJetsfan

18. NCJetsfan

There are lots of good OTs. IOL is another matter. You have to look at scheme fits. Yes, there are good IOL, but they aren't athletic or agile enough to play in our wide zone scheme. It's also not just about where they went to school.

19. york61

york61 Well-Known Member

The problem is that he played in such an easy division. I mean I saw some tape and defenders were like 30 yards away from the receiver. You have to factor that into the equation. Also he is slight of frame and will need to put on som weight to handle the pressure in the NFL.

20. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Davis would be an Ideal fit, super high on him. Wonder if he will be there at #23
    Very Scheme diverse as well.
    Here's a nice little write up
    Wyatt Davis, OG, Ohio State - NFL Draft Player Profile | PFN (profootballnetwork.com)

I'd like to trade the #2 to the Falcons (They'd have to throw in the #4 and their 2nd or 3rd as well) draft best QB left (Hopefully Lance) snag Davis @#23

Then go WR/RB or RB/WR at #33&#35 (Falcons) any combination of the two. With Mims I'd like to add a smaller speed compliment like Stevenson or Toney. Really make the offense dynamic
    - Javonte Williams,
    - Kenny Gainwell
    - Marquez Stevenson
    - Kadarious Toney