Chris Simms and Curious Case of Zach Wilson

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Mar 3, 2021.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Simms may have gotten the job in the first place because of his last name, but he has KEPT the job and done very well because of his acumen. You don't nail player and QB rankings like he has, and not have an eye for talent. There have been a lot of great HCs, Scouts, GMs, and media personnel who weren't very good players themselves, but went on to become greats in their field. He can't help the level of talent with which he was born. His father is more talented physically, but Chris seems to have a pretty rare eye for talent. I believe he will realize his dream of becoming a GM within a few years.

2. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

As long as they develop him the right way I’m all for taking him at 2. He’s got an incredible live arm and I’ve said this from day 1. It jumps off the screen! BUT there is just no way in hell we start him day 1 no fucking way. He’ll loose his confidence and he’ll bust like Leaf, Russel, Haskins etc etc. We made this mistake with Darnold who also had a high ceiling. Sign Alex Smith or CJ or Tyrod or even bring Fitz back and let Wilson learn the offence and catch up to the game speed for a season and then in 2022. Unleash him with a new crop of high picks around him.

K'OB likes this.
  3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Really? Link?

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

2nd post in the thread probably

REVISion likes this.
  5. JetsNation06

Not to go off on a tangent but I used to coach Chris in little league sports in Bergen county WAYY back in the day and know Phil and family. Used to work out with Phil when I was playing football in college and still lived out that way in the late 90's. He gave me a lot of good advice. Great family all-around.

Chris actually had more natural arm talent than his Dad believe it or not. Chris' problem was his durability and his build. He had a slighter frame (his mom), completely different from Phil who was a strong, tough guy and that was one of his claims to fame with the Gmen. The famous shot of him and Ronnie Lott up in each other's helmet practically chewing at each other's face all the way downfield during those classic Giants-Niners tilts in the 80's/early 90's.

Anyway sorry for the rant but some great memories. I honestly am not aware of Chris' accuracy rate on nailing QB's coming out of college. If that's the case then I'll gladly admit I'm wrong. I haven't really heard about this until reading yours and others posts in this thread. If that's the case then good for him.

6. JetsNation06

Thanks. I just checked it out and honestly most of those names were expected to go at or near the top anyways. Are there any QB's currently in the league starting that were drafted after the first round that he nailed? That would impress me more than his picks from 2018-2020. Either way, this is the most excited I've been about a Jets offseason in forever. Saleh alone made it worth it for me. Now if JD does good work, I'll be pretty sold.

LAJet and K'OB like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Have you heard the saying "Them can do play; them that can't coach"? Just because someone wasn't a great player doesn't mean they don't know a lot about how the game is played. In fact, I'd argue that the best coaches are failed players because while they were actively playing they had to study and learn how to do things that just came naturally to the stars, so they deeply understand how to teach these things. How many great players have ever become successful HCs?

Leicester Jet likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

Great story!

Brook! and JetsNation06 like this.
  9. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I think he is getting lot of props for nailing Jackson and Allen tbh but I still wonder if Jackson will keep performing tbh, Allen however is improving hand over fist.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

That would be my preference too, but I think he could pull it off unlike Darnold, and more like Allen and Lamar.

11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Come on man, it's all over this board if you care to look.

12. JetsNation06

My bad, I just saw it on the first page. I still don't think that qualifies him as a QB whisperer but we'll see.

13. JetsNation06

I don't disagree at all. I was just poking fun.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Lamar sat too that first year and was a gadget guy with Flacco taking the majority of the snaps while they worked Lamar in with runs.

Allen is the only real argument but as you know I’m incredibly high on Allen for a long time.

There are just too many busts that had such high ceilings in their draft year that get ruined because they are forced to start day 1 with HUGE expectations and all the social media/media. Recently with Trubisky, Darnold, Rosen. It will more likely happen with Wilson/Fields too if they start day1. It just can’t fucking happen again. Truly pisses me off.

If the draft Wilson/Fields and they start him day 1 they truly have no clue how to build a winner

K'OB and RochesterJet like this.
  15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Admittedly I haven’t looked at the OL class very hard, though it was a bit concerning to see a guy who’s barely played in 2 years being rated as one of the top prospects. Name escaped me though.

16. NCJetsfan

No need to apologize. Your post is interesting, is a great read, and I'm envious that you got to work out with Phil Simms and know the family, and coached Chris.

17. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Penei Swell is the top rated OT to come out in some time. I'm a big fan.
    Oregon's Penei Sewell, ESPN's No. 2-rated NFL draft prospect, opts out of season
    Outland trophy winner and an All-American as a Sophomore.

Some are calling Sewell the best prospect ever and for sure in the past 5 years. I still argue having him and Becton would be a good problem. Others disagree and that's exactly what this board is all about. The kid is talented as hell
    Penei Sewell: Best Tackle Prospect in Years??? - Weekly Spiral : Weekly Spiral

18. Sid Youngelman

Sid Youngelman Active Member

Chris Simms made some good points for Wilson. After listening to his take on the upcoming QB prospects, I am almost afraid Jacksonville will take Wilson and the Jets will be "stuck" with Lawrence! I think the Jets are in great shape either way. We're gonna get one of them. I think either will be great for the Jets for a decade.

#78 Sid Youngelman, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Noam, ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

I hope that everyone will listen to at watch the shorter videos where Simms talks about Wilson, but hope that you will listen to the long 1 1/2 hour video where he goes into detail about the pluses and minuses of each of his top QBs. I learned a LOT. Oftentimes we fans just go by whether a QB has a strong arm, is accurate, has a good completion percentage, doesn't turn the ball over, but there is a lot more to good QB play than that. Making the right reads/decisions, processing quickly, having sound mechanics, consistency, etc.

I think you could learn a lot as well, and I think it could help bring about more of a consensus on QBs here on the board. At any rate, I think it''s an hour and a half well spent.

I'd like to see the Jets hire Simms in the personnel dept.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The draft is absolutely loaded with offensive line talent especially at the tackle spot. I'll be shocked if we don't walk away with two OL.

It's a bit top heavy at the guard spot as it usually is but there's a lot of multi year starters at value spots in the middle rounds.