Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Not exactly, the choice is not binary. Totally agree that picking up the option at 25 million or more is a non-starter but signing Darnold to a new two (or even three) year contract could be viable. It may end up on the high side for a backup but maximizing incentives while keeping the base relatively low could alleviate some of the problems while it's determined what Darnold really is or somebody else needs a QB bad enough to pay. As mentioned above, franchise tagging could be another ploy but I don't know where the price would be for that or if it's even a possibility in light of the fifth year option rules. Another thread tonight reports that the Jets will be tagging Marcus Maye. There are dice to be rolled on at least two sides.

#461 Ralebird, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  2. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

It does not matter whether we declined 5th year option or not. Franchise tag can be applied to any guy scheduled to become UFA, which Sam will be next year if his 5th year option is not picked up by May 3d. The only limitation is that there is one franchise tag per team per year, meaning if we use it on Sam next year, we can't use it for anyone else.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Then why are GMs so quick to get rid of players they didn't draft, even QBs, so they can shape and draft their own superstars??? Every GM claims his team by raising his leg and peeing on it, and this means replacing the other players with his own. And no player is higher on the list than the QB. Like a new lion coming in and killing off all the cubs. How many times have we already heard "Sam is not a Douglas guy, Joe has no loyalty to Sam".

4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

They're not - they get rid of players who don't fit into their plan for building a winning team. Period.

All that stuff you think you hear is virtually meaningless when compared to winning games. Who is making those comments anyway? Nobody who knows what they're talking about.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, if JD views Wilson, Fields and Lance equally, then it would be nice to add another pick, but again, the problem is that so many teams need QBs. We know that Atlanta could be looking for a new QB. Carolina definitely is. The Texans most likely will be. Miami could be. Oakland could be. Washington is. If we trade down too far, we could wind up missing out on all 3. I'm not really worried about that however, as I think JD will view Wilson and Fields as better prospects because both are more pro ready, both have high ceilings and high floors. Lance probably has a higher ceiling, but he has a substantially lower floor as well, and with his relative lack of experience, I'm pretty certain that JD will take one of Wilson/Fields at #2.

Borat likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

I'm not sure that JD would tag him in an effort to trade him. If he did that, and then couldn't work out a deal, the Jets would be stuck with Darnold and his contract. I would be opposed to that move. Trade him now. Don't waste a year messing around with him.

7. NCJetsfan

I think both options you favor are awful. Keeping Sam is too risky and a losing proposition. Mac Jones is not that good a prospect. He's pretty immobile, and his arm isn't that strong. He can make most of the throws, but barely. I would rather they fold the franchise than draft him. If that's JD's answer to the QB position, then he should be fired.

8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Is there anyone else to use it on? It would have been Adams if he was still here.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We are talking about unlikely hypothetical scenario here, but if Sam does break out in 2021, he will be a 24 year old QB, former #3 overall, who is coming off a really good season. There will be no shortage of takers. Matt Cassel was traded for 34th overall and a dump of a contract. Sam will be worth WAY more, and the only reason he would be traded is if JD thinks Fields/Wilson is Mahomes. If Sam has a good year, I can assure you getting stuck with his contract after franchise tagging him will not be an issue.

As far as trading now, I agree, the only question is what are the offers. I am not sure there is anything more than a 3d round pick that we can get. So, it comes down to whether JD thinks the probability of the hypothetical scenario above is worth that pick. Given how FQB is so hard to find, he may think so. As long as we pick a QB with the second overall, I will trust his judgement on that as the most we lose is the opportunity cost of 3d rounder. If teams offer second rounder though, I think he pulls the trigger regardless.

10. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Bowles was 1-5 vs. Adam Gase. Bowles also publicly proclaimed it was ok for players to miss team meetings because alarm clocks don't always go off, or something equally as stupid. 5-11, 5-11, 4-12 his last three years. As Parcells said, you are what your record said you are. MacCagnan was the worst GM the jets ever had, and he did not give Bowles squat to work with, but Bowles was not a good head coach.

12. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I know it’s hard because we spent all that draft capital on Sam but he’s a bust.. we got to let it go and move on before he sinks Saleh

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Correct. Bowles was/is a good guy and coordinator. Terrible in-game manager (ALWAYS chasing points) and too lax of a coach.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201511120nyj.htm#all_pbp

I'll never forgive him for this game. We get into the playoffs if he kicks the FG to start the fourth quarter and don't have to go for it on the second to last possession. Not to mention - fourth and 1 wide receiver screen to Brandon Marshall in press coverage AND they dialed up a fourth down play to Kellen Davis with Decker and Marshall on the field (could've been Fitz's fault).

Sat in the pouring rain to watch that debacle.

Pepsiguy5 and tomdeb like this.
  14. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Some believe the Jets will stick with Sam. Some believe the Jets will draft Fields. Some believe the Jets will draft Wilson. Some believe the Jets will trade for Watson.

A lot of rumors flying around. We should get some answers in the next 2 months. :)

Sticking with Sam and building around him (as is the name of this thread) is not a terrible idea, I just find it to be the riskiest idea.

Noam likes this.
  15. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Maybe. Maybe not.

It's too hard to say with how shitty we have drafted over the years.

He may have went 1-5 against Gase, but, It felt nothing like what It was like as it was with Gase as our HC.

Anyone looks better to me than him.

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Probably risking the #2 on Fields/Wilson is riskier we don't know what they will do, we have an idea of Sam's worth with the vague hope that there is still a better QB to be unlocked.

If they draft one of the two and fail then they are gone, if they take the trade down and build a team and Sam fails again, they then get to draft a QB or trade for one the following season but with a (hopefully) vastly improved roster.

It wouldn't shock me at all to see Sam under centre next season.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No, it would not shock me either, but I don't think Wilson or Fields is more risky because the assumption is they will succeed. Them flopping is more unlikely than Sam turning it around and being great. You can trade Sam for (hopefully) a late 1st round pick or 2nd round pick. So you are still basically building the same team around Wilson/Fields as you would Sam, just flipping a Top 2 pick for a late 1st/2nd round pick. However, you free up more cap space to sign players by trading Sam and not picking up his option too, so you can build a stronger roster around Wilson/Fields for the foreseeable future.

NYGANGGREEN, REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I still would like to see the jets keep Sam, trade down twice in round 1 and get a bonanza in picks. Lots of needs there, boys. I hear Atlanta, Cincy, Carolina and San Fran all want to trade up for various reasons. I do NOT think the jets should pick up Sam's 2022 option. Give Sam some weapons (and some decent coaching for a change) and see how 2021 goes. If he shows significant improvement, they can always try to resign him or even franchise him after 2021. Sam has never had a chance with a decent OL, WR or RB. I think he will look a lot better with Adam Gase not directing him to hand off to Frank Gore very play.

Pepsiguy5 and The Dark Knight like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

Sam's major problem is Sam, not the poor team around him or poor coaching/scheme. He doesn't know how to play the QB position, makes awful decisions, can't read Ds, and is very inaccurate even with a clean pocket. The Jets could add the top two WRs in the NFL and have the best OL in the NFL, and Darnold is still not going to be able to read the D, make good decisions, or be accurate. That's the bottom line.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  20. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

I find it to be the least risky personally.

If Sam succeeds then we have our franchise QB for another decade, and if he doesn’t, then we should have a really strong team and future with the picks this year and next year, our cap space, and the haul we get for trading down at 2 this season on top of all that.

Sure, we would have everything but the QB...But it would be a really nice situation for a solid QB to step in and we would have draft capital to use in next years draft or to trade for a QB already in the league

The Watson option isn’t that risky unless we get completely gutted, but who even knows if Watson will be available for trade at this point?

Taking a rookie QB at 2 is the riskiest to me but it’s worth it if you absolutely love one of them and you can get back something nice for Darnold

Overall, if Sam could actually get his shit together, we would really have something going if we went that route. You can get a haul for the second overall pick, we should get a few premium free agents, and we already have a ton of good draft picks before trading down.

I know some people have completely written off Sam, but I’m not one of them. I will admit that it’s a complete gamble, but he’s still really young and has had horrible coaching and talent around him. Just gotta trust Joe D makes the right decision because it’s huge

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.