Deshaun Watson Mega Thread (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Feb 5, 2021.

?

What would you give up for Watson?

1. #2 pick in 2021 Draft Only

7.9%
  2. #2 pick plus another 1st Rounder

24.6%
  3. #2 pick plus 2 other 1st Rounders

34.1%
  4. #2 pick plus 3 other 1st Rounders

5.6%
  5. To Hell with Watson. Stay put

27.8%
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Three ones and a two. Fuck that BS. Homerun my ass. Stay the course till we find our own thru the draft.

2. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I really love McClain - and thus the Texans - highlighting this fact that all of us have been hammering on in the face of national media ignorance with evaluating all 1st round picks through the same lens.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...It-s-time-Texans-entertain-trade-15983247.php

#642 Snatch Catch, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

How many more decades should the Jets stay the course waiting for a draftee who comes with a guarantee? The one thing we know for sure is that it's guaranteed that Watson can play in the NFL at an elite level - because he has.

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I agree with your sentiment but that trade is lopsided. Williams isn’t untouchable but if he’s involved that needs to reduce the number of picks we send.

azhar80, NoodleArm and PJ4Ever like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Three ones and a two is what you pay to guarantee yourself an elite QB. You could use all of those picks and not even find a top tier starter at any position. Making that trade ensures you have one at the most important position in the sport. Make that trade every single day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Edit: and of course as we all know, this wouldn't be “trading all out picks” and we wouldn’t “have no money left”. We’d still be in fantastic shape to build around Watson both through the draft in free agency.

#645 BroadwayAaron, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    NOVAJET, J-Raw24 and PJ4Ever like this.
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ya, I really miss the post-Jamal trade days when we all fantasized about the powerhouse team Joe Douglas was going to build for us. Then Watson chatter came along and it was all for nothing.

azhar80 likes this.
  7. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Anyone saying 3 1st rounders is to many picks doesn't understand football. Yes we could pick a QB with one or even all 3 of those... chances are more likely we get 3 Mark Sanchez's than one Deshaun Watson. I will agree Q. Williams should not be part of the deal. But I think that is why the rumors are still flowing and Houston hasn't jumped on the deal. JD won't give up the one piece that brought Saleh here.

NOVAJET likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

So should we just keep Sam if the Watson thing falls thru? We don't really need 3 more Nachos.

azhar80 likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I don't disagree with going after Watson, but giving up all those prime picks is way too much. I'd be willing to give up the #2, Seattle's third this year, and their first in 2022, and MAYBE a mid round pick in 2022 or 2023.

azhar80 likes this.
  10. Footballgod214

When deciding what to trade for W, we only have to beat the next best team by a little bit. We're not trying to pry Watson away. That ship has already sailed.

So there's only two scenarios: With Miami in the mix, and without Miami in the mix.

WITHOUT Miami in the mix, we don't have to offer our #2. We can offer Sam as their starting QB plus all the Jamal windfall and that there would be the best offer the Texans can get by far. No other team could match that. Texans will have no choice but to take it (and weep).

There may be a 3rd scenario (not good for the Jets): Probably the only call the Texans would take at this time is from Seattle.

Ralebird and azhar80 like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

So according to your post "you could use all of those picks and not even find a top tier starter at any position" but if we got Watson "We’d still be in fantastic shape to build around Watson both through the draft in free agency."
    So we miraculously only know how to draft or get free agents if we trade for Watson? We got a pro bowler with the first pick last year and we could get three more for all we know with JD at the helm.
    Hate to disappoint you but the trade as stated is completely one sided to benefit Houston and isn't happening. Watson can sit out one year and think about it for all I care and both Houston and Watson will get the worst of it. They don't have that kind of leveraging power in these negotiations, and thankfully we no longer have an idiot for GM..

ColoradoContrails and azhar80 like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The premise of this post is extremely flawed. You don’t have to nail every single draft pick if you have an elite QB and it’s also a lot easier to nail draft picks when you aren’t taking a QB with them. And if you have an elite QB, you’re going to attract free agents.

NOVAJET likes this.
  13. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

The free agent part of this post is extremely overlooked imo. We aren't drawing key free agents with Sam or a rookie and yes it is not all about the money for some players. Unless you drastically overpay which is where we have been for years. Adding Watson is a franchise altering move, if it takes a few first round picks it's an absolute no Brainer.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NOVAJET

We would likely use the #2 on a QB anyway so you are really only giving up 2 later 1st round picks.

NCJetsfan and bicketybam like this.
  15. NOVAJET

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

There's very few free agents in the history of this league that will choose a destination over the amount of money they make. Do you think Joe Thuney (as an example) and his two rings really cares where he ends up? Or Scherff and his history of injuries?

There are exceptions to that rule and you'll always have your JJ Watts that will look to pile onto contenders at the end of their career after they've made a big bag of money. But the Jets aren't in the position even with Watson to draw those types of free agents because we're nowhere near a contender and have the longest playoff draught in the league.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

19. Kotite's Revenge

Bingo. Q’s not going anywhere.

20. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I've see you post this before but I really don't follow your line of reasoning. Couldn't Atlanta offer the #4? The Eagles the #6? The Panthers the #8 or the Broncos the #9? Every pick up to #23 would be better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Footballgod214 likes this.