Multiple teams have called about Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

I'm not giving up QW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Not sure if this was posted but it’s spot on. Letting the Sam situation linger on past March 17th would be a gigantic mistake. Either commit or move on before then or else you risk picking from the bargain bin, as we always do at WR.

https://sny.tv/articles/how-jets-un...impact-landing-a-top-free-agent-wide-receiver

Jonathan_Vilma and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I don't agree at all. Any move the Jets can make at quarterback can be made with or without Darnold on the roster. His trade value won't be much different a year from now.

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Will he not be a free agent in a years time?

5. Ralebird

Not if he is re-signed to a new contract (or his option was picked up - which would be crazy at what it would cost.)

I actually think that his value may be highest mid season when one of the 31 or 32 guys out there loses an arm or a leg.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. K'OB

Well, that was my point(joke) tbh, you said 'His trade value won't be much different a year from now.'

But he will be a free agent next year ;)

You do make a good point about teams becoming desperate though, we may get a 1st if we wait it out long enough.

7. BroadwayAaron

But the point is it sounds like they have no intention of figuring it out before free agency which means any WR that signs here has no clue who the QB will be. No one is signing up for that unless they are just chasing money. I’m just hoping it’s playing out this way in public because I’d like to think Douglas knows better than to totally piss away free agency in a year where you have a lot of money and close to no skill position talent (for the 10th year in a row).

8. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

With our new coach being a defensive guru, he is going to want the defense to control the flow of the game. Sam is a turnover machine. Always has been since college. This is not going to change overnight. Nothing kills a good defense more than turnovers, plus Sam is not very accurate, not a good combination

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

With that line of thinking, even if they draft a QB this year then don't expect the guy to start for a couple of seasons at least, and expect them to sign a play-it-safe game manager veteran who won't turn the ball over.

10. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Agreed. His value decreases as more dominos fall. The only way I can see us benefitting is if a team like the Bears and their desperate coaching staff/front office end up with someone like Fitzpatrick as their only option.

11. BroadwayAaron

I feel like at that point they’d just keep Mitch over trading anything of value for Sam. The market is going to dry up extremely quick. I’m way more nervous that we are going to fuck this up now than I was a week ago.

REVISion likes this.
  12. Ralebird

I know what you're saying about receivers, or anyone else for that matter but I don't get your statement about what it "sounds like" to you. Simply because we don't know what plans doesn't mean at all that there is no plan or no calendar for its execution. Nothing is gained by turning a single card face up before it works in the Jets' favor.

13. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I think we've covered the whole "next year he'll be a free agent" thing...but even if he were going to be under team control and tradable, I think there's a ton of risk of waiting one extra year. I'm guessing if teams are willing to trade for Darnold it's due to the forecasting that with good coaching and good talent (things teams who may want to trade for him see he hasn't had) he'll be drastically improved. Waiting one year, with at least a league wide view of him getting drastically improved coaching (if not drastically improved talent) and possibly failing would absolutely kill his entire trade value. I'm a Sam guy but don't have a crystal ball so who knows if he's a talented guy who will reach his potential or a talented guy who won't...but this one particularly year would be a huge gamble to wait to trade him due to the view that his coaching will be top tier.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Ralebird

He could be signed today to a new two year contract, low on guarantees, high on incentives. Not saying that he'd go for anything too low, but based on three years of his performance he's not really in a strong position to bargain.

15. RedRoute1

RedRoute1 Guest

I suppose that's true but even so, it wouldn't keep his trade value as the same in 2021 as 2022, if 2021 was a failure production wise...I think that's the point here...so again it's a gamble keeping him. I think if you're looking to trade him (and I'm not saying to do that), but if you're looking to trade him you trade him right now. If you think he'll be a success story, you don't trade him period...if you think he's not a part of the future of this team, you trade him right now.

16. Ralebird

I don't know how anyone out here can decide if he belongs with the Jets or not. Everything we've seen says he's a bust but there is so much talk from inside the NFL that he's a diamond in the rough some of it must have a legitimate basis. We don't even know how much help anyone has tried to give him over the past three years. We heard he worked with Jordan Palmer on the physical aspects of his game but we don't know for how long or if it's ongoing and if it has produced any positive results. We don't have any idea if he has worked on the psychological part of his game to exorcise his ghosts; we don't know if he has undergone any training at all to help him identify and react to defenses and find the right receiver.

We have no idea at all if Gase encouraged or discouraged any of this. It may even be very possible that there are high school kids getting more advanced training than Darnold has. Why are there so many questions at this stage of the game and why do some teams believe there is untapped value just waiting to be developed?

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Sam has almost as much intrigue as a rookie QB has coming in. The only thing we know about Sam is he can't carry a terrible team on his back.

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

To begin with, I'd be willing to bet that many of those who are talking about Darnold being a diamond in the rough, haven't seen every snap of his career. They haven't looked at his flaws leaving USC and what his flaws are now. They haven't seen all the bad decisions, the bad handling of the QB position taking sacks and running out of bounds rather than throwing the ball away, the lousy footwork, and the inaccurate passes. The great plays he makes are tantalizing. I totally get why people think if he could just play that way all the time, what a great QB he'd be. I understand why some Jets fans want to keep him and build around him. I understand why some NFL coaches and GMs think they can fix him. By all reports, he's a great kid and well-liked. He's the kind of player you want to see succeed.

In terms of Jordan Palmer, Sam is still working with him. He began before he left USC and continues to work with him every offseason, or at least he did through last year's offseason. Since Sam hasn't really improved or made progress with his footwork, accuracy, decision-making, and TOs (except he doesn't fumble as much as he did at USC), I think we can safely say that it has produced few, if any, real positive results. That, in and of itself, is concerning to me. Palmer is supposedly rated as one of the best, if not THE best QB Coach in the NFL. There is a report that Palmer tried to get Sam to change his throwing motion a couple of years ago and Sam refused, saying he was comfortable with the way he threw. We don't know how accurate that report is and/or whether Palmer asked him if he was comfortable and suggested he try an alternate if not, or if he told him that his throwing motion was causing inaccuracy and that he needed to change it. We don't know for certain if he has tried to address Sam's footwork (which is at the root of Sam's inaccuracy), but if he hasn't then I'd be shocked, and have to say that he isn't one of the top QB Coaches in the NFL if he didn't notice it or wasn't willing to address it.

You're also right that we don't know if he has seen a counselor or done other types of psychological work to exorcise his ghosts, or if he has done any training with his CS or Palmer to help him identify defenses and find the right receiver. Again, however, I'd be totally shocked if neither Palmer, Bates, Gase, or Loggains spent time working with Sam on that. To be sure, the NFL stupidly limits contact that CSs can have with players during the offseason, but I know that coaches can and do prepare lists of things that players need to work on during the offseason, and have prepared programs or ways to work on their issues/flaws. Especially since Sam pays Palmer to help him fix his flaws and sharpen his game, I would be shocked, and think it negligence and malfeasance if Palmer hadn't worked with Sam on that.

Why would Gase discourage Sam fixing his footwork, inaccuracy, or inability to read Ds and make good decisions? That doesn't make any sense. Since Gase is at least somewhat respected in NFL circles and the college ranks, I have to think that even he isn't that wacky and incompetent.

I doubt that any HS kids are getting better training than Sam is getting or has been getting since he got to the NFL. There probably are some high school QBs 1who are getting better training than what Sam received when he was in high school. There have been technological advances, some coaches are smarter, more creative than others, and more open to trying different things to try to help their players improve. Some are old school and refuse to change or have to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future.

While there is no question that Sam has had to play with a lousy OL and below average/poor receivers, has had to learn two different offensive systems (one of which he was a terrible fit) and has had two different HCs and OCs in 3 years, who at best, are all below average, Sam shouldn't escape blame. He does Palmer. He can watch film of himself. He can talk to other, older veteran QBs he knows like McCown or befriend others and ask for help. He can try a different QB Coach. He can watch hours and hours of game film looking for how the D plays out of each alignment and then look for his mistakes. He can watch game film of other teams and other QBs vs the same teams the Jets played, and see how those QBs read/reacted to the D. I'm certain that by now he has heard directly and indirectly from others about his poor footwork and throwing off-platform.

IMO there are absolutely NO excuses for a professional QB getting ready to enter his 4th season still having footwork issues, not understanding how to play the QB position and when he needs to throw the ball away, not understanding that except for Hail Mary, end of the game-type situations, it is never acceptable to throw into double or worse, triple coverage. I'm certain that when NFL coaches teach new plays in the classroom they explain how the play is supposed to work and probably do so for each defensive permutation, and where the QB needs to look. They probably diagram the plays on a whiteboard, and have video footage showing which receivers the play is designed to help get open. Just as pre-snap motion in some offenses has keys for the QB to look for that determines whether it should be a run or pass and where the pass should go, I'm certain that Gase's offense did as well, even though it didn't use pre-snap motion. Thus, I believe that much, if not most, of the blame lies squarely at Sam's feet. He either isn't working being scrupulously honest with himself and working diligently to improve, or he just doesn't have a very good football IQ or the right kind of intelligence to improve and put it all together.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  19. K'OB

We also know...

He can't handle the rush
    Throws into multiple coverage zones
    Has no pocket presence
    Still doesn't know when to throw the ball away and not be sacked
    Can't read the defence
    Doesn't go through his progressions or if he does he fails to see the wide open WR plenty of times.
    Become inaccurate on the long ball.

He is more accurate on the roll out/ broken play.
    Shown he can run if required, not anywhere near Jackson level but better than thought.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Stop it. Lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.