Coach makes case for Jets taking Zach Wilson in 2021 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Footballgod214, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Sounds like something Easterby the Redeemer would be all over. Looks like Houston really needs the number two to guarantee they can sign this water walker.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Based on his "faith", I think Easterbunny would probably rule out Wilson based on his school alone. I think they consider LDS to be a cult.

barfolomew likes this.
  3. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

His Pro day is on March 26. I don't think we will get much info until then, including measurements. Although he did say he will run 40 yard dash sooner and have some scouts present, so he can focus on throwing on Pro Day.

SoylentGreen and REVISion like this.
  4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

What's the odds that we can hit on any draft prospects. Its too risky. If you're not a Darnold fan then Douglas has to take a QB and that means not trading down.

5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

:):D

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I got one you can't trust a 21 year old virgin lol. Just a joke. They will unleash that guy in New York and his might go crazy with all those hot women.

7. Oh so we have access to background work these teams do on guys off the field and their character? Off the record takes from those around him,maybe trips back to where hes from,etc? Or are we supposed to digging on our own as fans? Or maybe we’re just too dumb.

The whisper came from an NFC scouting exec. I guess hes dumb too?

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Here's the original source of this rumor (or as close to the source as I could find):

WalterFootball.com: NFL Hot Press

"In speaking to a director of college scouting from a NFC team that is in the market for a new quarterback, he outlined the makeup concerns with Wilson:

• "Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He's a backyard baller who is fun to watch."

"Someone will grab him in the first [round]. I doubt he gets to the second [round] because once the third quarterback goes, after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all.

"His positives are that he's super competitive, not to get scared and won't back down, extremely confident, very smart with keen recall and teammates will play for him."
    That college director outlined the makeup of Wilson well, but his team is strict on character, so perhaps that plays into them having Wilson as the fourth quarterback."

Of course there's no actual attribution or name/team connected with this, but I'll trust that it's an actual quote. But my question is still: what is it based on? Is this just this anonymous NFL exec's opinion drawn from the knowledge that Wilson grew up in a well to do family? Or does he have actual sources and/or first hand observations of Wilson acting like a jerk and being entitled? Because as of this date, this anonymous NFL exec is the only person to come forward and make this claim. Even though the above article makes this statement:

"Thus there is big variety in prospect evaluation across the league, and those spreads can happen with quarterback prospects in particular. Add in that some teams have football-character concerns with Wilson, and he could have a big range in the 2021 NFL Draft from high in the first round to somewhere in the second round."

It only includes that one claim from that one anonymous NFL exec. Where are the other examples of any other team having "football character concerns"?

Sorry, based upon the actual "evidence" this whole thing amounts to a "click bait" meme. Maybe there's truth to it, but until I see or hear more actual proof, I remain skeptical. And I'll trust Douglas, who has shown he's very concerned with having guys who fit his idea of good football players, to determine if Wilson is a character risk.

Borat likes this.
  9. Where does background character work ever come from? Investigative work done by frontline scouts. Why WOULD the specific details become public?

Hes far from the first to have these rumblings. Rosen.Manziel.Geno.Russell.Leaf. Was it ever universal w the public having names,places & direct quotes all cross checked?

These teams are all competing against eachother to do the BEST character work & its a big game of poker. Also dealing w sensitive information.

Beyond that..i just dont understand unless one has bias to a specific prospect why its dumb? Is their not direct case law correlated to this w names above? Is leadership & character not of utmost importance at the QB position;For a team desperate for a leader & face.

forgive my “snarkyness” but i must be pretty “dumb”..or just not a Zach Wilson apologist.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

My "dumb" comment was directed at Vilma when he posted a bunch of "support" comments made by teammates of Rosen. EDIT: If this NFL exec has firsthand info, his own observations of Wilson, he could still remain anonymous while providing this info. Where is he getting this from, again, keeping his sources anonymous?.

I said it was "dumb" because these had no bearing on Wilson - other than showing that teammates will defend other teammates, which is certainly no "news flash".

And where I did say that leadership and character aren't important? Hint: I never did. I'm just contesting the unsubstantiated claim by one anonymous NFL exec that Wilson has character issues. Isn't possible that this NFL exec - who, according to that article is from an NFC team that needs a QB - is "poisoning the well" hoping to plant seeds of doubts in the Jets or whatever teams are drafting ahead of him?

If Wilson actually has character concerns I wouldn't want anything to do with him. But the person who has to make that decision is Douglas, and he's already shown that he doesn't want troublemakers on the team by getting rid of them, including Adams who was a Pro Bowl player. I'm going to trust his judgment and not overreact to one, unsubstantiated quote.

I won't return the snarkiness, but maybe you ought to reread what you've posted and attributed to me.

#90 ColoradoContrails, Mar 1, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Borat likes this.
  11. ill just put you on ignore thanks