Old-school Jets fans-What happened in 1986??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, Feb 22, 2021.

1. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Agreed RPO. Thanks for the story/info ukjetsfan. Coslet always seemed like a smarmy, arrogant guy, and your story kinda confirms that.

2. patleahy

talking about Coslet really takes me back to the wasteland of the early 90's.....just depressing, hopeless times. Anyone remember when our HC/QB Combo was Bruce Coslet and Browning Nagle??!! lol

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

@BrowningNagle - what do you have to say to defend yourself?

matt robinson 17 and patleahy like this.
  4. patleahy

JonathanVilma do you remember the Coslet yets too?

5. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Getting a lot of (bad) flashback memories here, a lot of accurate points being raised.

Injuries decimated the team, especially on defense. After getting sacked about 100 times in his first two years, O'Brien stopped holding on to the ball and started throwing it a little quicker. Unfortunately, he threw it too much to the other team and that hurt going down the stretch. For me, I felt there was a lot of anti-Jet sentiment out there, compounded by Giant love by a sycophant Giant media. Gastineau was hated and for better or worse, he was the symbol of the team.

A few mentioned the Paul McGuire thing, when, during an eventual 10 game winning streak, he would say every week that the Jets were over-rated and that they would lose the rest of their games. Players are human, and if you are constantly hearing that you aren't as good as your record, it begins to take effect.

After a 31-16 win against the Colts, they got killed 45-3 by the Dolphins on a Monday night and the flood gates opened. They lost four more in a row and gave up 45 points to the Steelers and 52 points to the Bengals in the last two games. But somehow, the 10-1 record was enough of a cushion to help them squeak into the play-offs as a wild-card.

They managed a home game in the wild-card round against the Chiefs (one of only 7 in Jets history!) Walton, (a stubborn mule who was not the best coach to have during a losing streak - he once threatened to withhold paychecks for poor play) benched O'Brien for gritty Pat Ryan. The Jets were losing early in the game, IIRC, when Ryan either on third or fourth down, on either a bootleg or busted play, broke about 4 tackles and gutted out a first down. That seemed to light a spark and they scored on that drive, going on to a 35-15 victory. So on to Cleveland...

For everything that happened during this season, a victory against Cleveland would have made up for it all. And backed by a stingy Bud Carson defense, the Jets, QB'd by O'Brien, who stepped in when Ryan was injured earlier in the game, were up 20-10 with about 3 minutes to go. The Browns were as good as dead. After a feeble incompletion, It was going to be 3rd and 24! And then came the worst penalty in Jets history. The most blatant roughing the passer call I have ever seen. To me it seemed like Gastineau began his run at Kosar almost after the pass fell incomplete! And then...even though the Browns rallied to tie the score in regulation, they ran out of steam in overtime. It took them almost two full periods to score. Their kicker (Mosely?- one of the last of the straight on guys) missed a twenty yard field goal in OT. Eventually, the Jets were put out of their misery.

Along with the 2011 loss to the Giants, it was the worst loss I ever experienced as a Jet fan. And even though it's been 35+ years, I still painfully remember the season all too well.

JetsKickAss and Shea Jet like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't (fortunately). Too young which is why I can't say much in this thread lol.

7. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

That loss to the Browns was brutal but for me the loss to Denver in 98 AFC championship game was the worst. They were up 10-0 and I had tickets to go to the Super Bowl if the Jets won.

bicketybam and matt robinson 17 like this.
  8. Endlessly Counting

LOL just one of many bad memories

9. patleahy

two quick things inspired by some of the comments in this thread...I had actually forgotten that Bud Carson (one of the game's greatest D-Coordinators) was the DC for the 86 Jets....and I had no idea, until recently, that Joe Walton is still alive! I was stunned when I saw that he was still around. He currently lives out in Beaver Falls, PA with is wife and was head coach at Robert Morris right up until 2013! lol. I had no idea.

10. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

You got that right. My first bad memory with this team was the 81 WC game at Shea vs the Bills. Todd's INT with seconds left at the goal line finished a heartbreaking loss. To many to count. As for the 86 season they started off great but collapsed at the end. I don't know if they would have beaten the Giants in the Super Bowl. But the hype around NYC leading up to the game would have been thru the roof with a NY-NY Super Bowl.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  11. Endlessly Counting

Agree they would NOT have beaten the Giants...and that would have been the worst!

matt robinson 17 and patleahy like this.
  12. patleahy

Endlessly Counting, you don't think Walton would have rallied the troops and outcoached Parcells and Belichick in Super Bowl XXI???

13. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Me too Vinny was great that day

14. Endlessly Counting

LOL.

Although it greatly pains me to say this, If you want to see what the Giants would've done to the Jets in the Super Bowl, search for the famous clip of Taylor sacking O'Brien in the next season's (1987) exhibition game, where he creams him, then says, "Son, you'll have t do better than that."
    (wish I had a link)

1986 was the Giants year.
    I'm not even sure the Jets would've beaten Denver

#94 Endlessly Counting, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  15. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The 98 loss wasn't as painful to me because the season was so much better then I could have ever expected. Sure I thought we would beat the Broncos, especially with a halftime lead, because we were a second half team that year. But when we lost it still felt like a great season and we would win it all next year. There was hope behind that loss. Heck the 2nd quarter of week 1 in 1999 was as painful as the Broncos loss - because I was expecting to go to the SB that season.

I think the most painful playoff loss to me was the AJ Duhey game (1982) or maybe the Doug Brien game (2004). Both those losses hurt at lot at the time. The 86 roughing game is up there though.

16. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I remember 86 as a great year for the NFL in general. Probably the height of the NFL.

It was the Giants year because they had some type of curse on the 49ers. Remember that great Giants/Niners MNF game when they were both undefeated, and Bavaro basically willed the Giants to a win. Then the niners were anxious to get them back in the playoffs. The first 49er drive of the game Montana hits Rice who blows by the defense for an easy TD, but then inexplicable fumbles the ball towards the endzone and the Giants covered it. Nothing went right for the niners after that.

At 10:32

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Browning Nagle sucked. That is all haha

patleahy and matt robinson 17 like this.
  18. Endlessly Counting

I remember the "achillies tendon snap" heard round the (Jets) world

ouchy likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

My dad and uncle both taught me the term Same Ol' Jets after the Doug Brien game. It only officially went down as a net one yard loss when I just looked up the box score - I thought it was -2 at the time.

Insignificant I guess because he probably misses it anyway, but it still stands as one of the most mindblowing decisions to kneel down for a loss to burn an extra two seconds off the clock in the toughest place in the NFL to kick field goals. Not to mention it essentially iced a shaky Brien twice after the Steelers called another timeout on top of it.

ouchy likes this.
  20. patleahy

LOL I love that NFL films clip of LT saying that, EndlesslyCounting. It makes me crack up every time haha.

Endlessly Counting likes this.