Multiple teams have called about Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

With all due respect, just because Douglas may not be planning to do what you want him to do, doesn't mean he's been doing "nothing for months".

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

barfolomew and matt robinson 17 like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

read that again. I did not say he has been doing nothing. I was questioning what he has been doing though if based on that tweet he still can't decide if Sam Darnold is worth keeping

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well I agree if Douglas doesn't know at this point whether he's keeping Darnold or not that would be alarming. But he may be hinging his decision on what he gets offered for him, which he obviously can't know until an offer is made.

Ralebird likes this.
  5. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I know who they are but that is usually what you’re looking at when you don’t draft an Edge in the top 5-10. Look at the past few years, you’ve had guys like Chase Young and Nick Bosa go in the top 2. After that you had guys like Montez Sweat, Brian Burns, Yetur Gross-Matos.... If you aren’t picking at the top of the draft you’re not going to get a elite prospect, it’s just the way it works.

The same is true for OT. Last year the top of the draft was flush with OT, but late 1st round guys were Austin Jackson and Isaiah Wilson. No year 1 impact, they weren’t elite prospects. That’s just what you’re looking at late in the first. WR is a position you can get early production in that spot, but you could also get early production out of a 2nd round WR.

PJ4Ever and Footballgod214 like this.
  6. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

The reports out of the Jets camp up to the Saleh hiring was they planned on keeping Darnold...

Now there has been so much said about how they need to move on by the media/fans... they have to look like they are still doing due diligence...

It’s all been done... either this is smoke to increase interest in Darnold... or they are keeping him.

They don’t trade him in March and he’s probably our starting Qb...

That should scare the shit out of a lot people here... :)

7. zace

zace Well-Known Member

He knows, hes already know. This is posturing. I would be suprised if Darnold is the starting and only qualified qb on this roster

I will say again there is this scenario where they could draft someone and keep darnold for the year

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

8. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I agree that the staff already know the direction of the team. Including if they want Sam or not.

I view this as a more, no one has made us an offer we can't refuse yet, so up your game lads.

It's draft season and it's teams using schefter to push their crap around.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The good guy to have around thing definitely matters.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cli...droid-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WhitCh02.htm

8 years of service on the NFL pension plan. 26 games.

K'OB likes this.
  10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Jets79 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good point. Which one(s) would you like to see the Jets draft?

I think Rumph may wind up as a 4-3 OLB in the NFL rather than a DE.

I wouldn't be unhappy if the Jets took one of Jones, Rashed, Roche and Basham, or perhaps in a round or two lower, one of Azeez Ojulari of UGA, Jordan Smith of UAB, Victor Kimukeje of Duke, Patrick Johnson of Tulane, or Elerson Smith of Tulane.

12. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Wise leak by JD. After Wentz trade, Sam is really the next domino, and we can only speculate what is really going on, but my guess is that we are not getting real offers anywhere near 1st rounder some people think Sam is worth. If the best offer is mid round pick, there is no harm in waiting. We need a veteran QB regardless. Trading Sam now for a low offer also doesn't make sense. I don't think holding onto him now hurts his value at all, and the value probably goes up once the teams miss out on a QB during draft. Plus, it actually does make sense to finish evaluation of all prospects. For example, no one knows yet Zach Wilson's measurements or has his medical reports, which is important for his evaluation. Interviewing Zach and Fields is also important part of it.

So, for the lack of a great offer now, might as well finish the process, get a vet in free agency, whom you need either way, and just keep plugging along.

PJ4Ever, Jets79, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I disagree with the bold. Teams will make their plans for the coming season at QB. They will have insurance in place in case they don't get a QB in the draft. Following the draft, the Jets will have no leverage, and his value will plummet. At that point, the only thing that would raise his value is if he lights it up in TC and preseason and then a team or two sees their starting QB go down with a major injury.

I agree with all the rest.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Definitely playing this better than the Eagles did. The Eagles kept leaking a trade near for two+ weeks to try to turn the heat up on any team involved and it backfired when the trade offers didn't increase in value.

I'm still not completely against him being the starter and sitting a rookie. There's not a ton of good journeyman out there to grab. Breathard would probably be the guy, but that's almost an obvious punt on the season that'll force them to play the rookie by mid year. Tyrod Taylor is probably the most logical option but it's going to be another awfully boring and unspectacular year of football if that's the case.

15. NCJetsfan

It may be unspectacular, but I don't think it will be boring. I think under Saleh, the team will be prepared to play and they will play hard and smart. They will be passionate and hitting people. I think it will be exciting to see how Q, Becton, Mims, Davis, Hall, Mann, Franklin-Myers, and Huff continue to develop. It will be interesting to see if Clark is anything more than depth and if Zuniga can show anything. It will be interesting to see who makes the team, how the new schemes look, and how the new players (both FAs and draft picks fit and play). If the near-impossible happens and we wind up with Watson and maybe Robinson too, it will be a very exciting year.

#815 NCJetsfan, Feb 22, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. MaximusD163

I would be high on Phillips if you could grab him.

Basham is similar to JFM and I’m desperate for a true 3 down Edge guy.

If you can’t find one, Ojulari could be interesting but might be more of a situational speed rusher early. Ossai could potentially play Sam in the base 4-3 and step up to the Edge on passing downs. I would definitely take Rousseau if he fell to 23.

I haven’t looked at all of the deeper Edge prospects, I will more as the off-season continues. I’ve been focusing a lot on the QB situation, both for the Jets and in the league as well.

17. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I think they both haven't got what they want in offers AND are waiting to see what shakes out with Watson. If there's a chance Sam is an actively attractive piece to the Texans, then it makes sense to hold him under the guise of "evaluations, blah, blah, blah".

Jets79 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Thanks. I don't have much interest in Phillips, and doubt that JD will due to his injury history. He's already had 3 concussions and he severely injured his wrist in a moped accident. He does seem focused and working hard, but the fact that he has already had 3 concussions has to be a major red flag. One more and he could retire again. I wouldn't use anything above a 4th round pick on a player like that.

19. MaximusD163

To be honest I didn’t realize he already had 3 concussions, that is pretty wild. I’m not too concerned about the wrist though.

20. NCJetsfan

Yes. That's why he "retired" from football for a year already, then transferred from UCLA to Miami.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.