Multiple teams have called about Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

A lot will depend on how JD addresses the QB position without Sam. If he drafts a star, it really doesn't matter what Sam goes on to be. But I will admit to being biased because I think Sam won't be anything more that a journeyman QB or a career backup.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I'd be shocked if he is at the Jets next year never mind starting, he would be the worst QB for a rookie to sit behind, he wouldn't impart with any knowledge or help to a rookie, be lucky if he said hi to him, I am not even sure you have seen him talk to Sam during games this season, not like when McCown was here, he shadowed Sam and talked to him on the sidelines all game, to me, it is no shock that was probably when Sam looked like he had the most potential.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

From Cimini this morning:

Noam likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I never would have bought a Ford Taurus in the first place (or any Ford for that matter). ;)

At first glance, that didn't sound like such a great deal. The more I think about it, the more I like it however. Having #20 and #23 would give the Jets the opportunity to take Kadarius Toney and an OL.That would definitely be worth it. It's like using Darnold to trade up from #90 to #20.

5. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I would do that too, retain Flacco, let him start till Wilson is ready

BrowningNagle likes this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This is an excellent draft to get a right tackle at 23. Most of the good tackles in this draft are likely right tackles outside of Sewell and Slater.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Wouldn't have touched Wentz for any price. The biggest hurdle for the Jets is overcoming being a broken organization. The last thing we need is to bring in broken players from other teams with baggage and question marks. If we're going to roll the dice we should do it in the draft and get someone younger, cheaper and more of a blank slate.

8. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Could definitely grab Mayfield around there, but I also feel that’s potentially the range for the better edge players as well. The Jets could really use a situational speed rusher and a starting RDE as well, and my guess is they won’t get both in free agency, maybe not either. Zuniga is a mystery at this point

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Yeah it is. Those are the two positions that the 23 pick is a sweet spot for. I'm more partial to Leatherwood at 23 than Mayfield. I like Liam Eichenberg from Notre Dame a lot but I think he has some questions marks about athleticism in pass pro. Really good technically sound run blocker though against top level competition.

Red Menace likes this.
  10. Terminated117

Terminated117 Active Member

I gotta say I’m not against the idea of keeping Sam and building around him under a better GM and HC. He was drafted high into an absolute abysmal situation; incompetent leadership with damnear no weapons. Sure if he was A-Rod or Peyton he could turn water into wine I suppose, but I give him a break considering what a diaper-fire he landed in with this franchise at the time. If we get a really good offer for him, then he’s got to be moved, it’s business. That said, I am curious to see what he can do under this GM/HC regime with some better guys. What sucks for him is that he was drafted under the old regime and unless you’re A-Rod/Peyton level, the new regime typically wants to bring in “their guys” in a full rebuild mode like this. I’d be stunned if Sam is still in a Jets uni this season

azhar80 and MoWilkBeast like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Coming out of the 1st round with Wilson, Toney and Humphrey or Davis should be franchise-changing.
    Do you see Leatherwood as a RT in the NFL? If memory serves me correctly, several of the things I've read about him indicate that he'll probably need to kick inside to OG in the NFL. I believe I saw the same thing about Eichenberg, but may be mistaken.

I think my choice for a RT would be Christian Darrisaw if he's still there at #20. If not, then I think Leatherwood (if what I read is wrong) or Mayfield would be the choice at RT.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  12. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Even with what Darnold lacked...the film is still the film. He misses wide open guy. Even if those guys were not super talented players...when they're open he airmails it or holds back on throwing it. He cannot read a defense well. He is sloppy with the football. Makes dumb mistakes. The situation around him was poor, but when there were plays to be made he didn't make them either

A good intelligent QB would still have a losing record with us, but at least he'd make us a bit better than we appear to be. Darnold if anything dragged this team down even more. He doesn't lift the game of those around him

13. NCJetsfan

I hope that we sign a DE in FA, either Trey Hendrickson or Carl Lawson.

I'm not high on any of the "top" pass rushers this year. Neither Rousseau, Jaelen Phillips, nor Roche, have great production. Both Rousseau and Phillips are fast and athletic, but Rousseau took the year off and Phillips has too big of an injury history. I wouldn't use a high draft pick on a DE this year. I think next year is the year to do that. I'd take a flyer on Carlos Basham, Patrick Johnson, Victor Dimukeje, Elerson Smith, or maybe Azzeez Ojulari in the 3rd or 4th rounds, but I wouldn't draft one any higher.

14. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I really think there are only two scenarios that see Darnold in a Jets uni next year and only one of these see him back the following in 2022: JD and RS really like him and believe that it was all down to situation; they really don't fancy any of the draft QBs or available vets, and can't land any vets they do like.

And even the latter might see them go with a sub par vet if someone offers a high enough pick for Sam. I'd put it around 20% max that he's in Jets green in 2021.

FJF likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

I don't think Leatherwood will have a problem playing right tackle. Eichenberg might. It's tough to tell with him because Notre Dame's offense was so quick pass oriented since Ian Book can't throw down field, that he didn't have to jump into deep pass sets. Dudes going to be a good NFL offensive lineman IMO though wherever he ends up playing because he's a mauler.

Haven't seen enough of Darrisaw to really know. @KurtTheJetsFan - have you seen Darrisaw?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I agree with the last bit. I’d much prefer to start with a blank slate like Fields. My point was more so that Wentz wouldn’t have been a bad move if it was for the right price. I would’ve given #67 and that’s it.

Either way, it’s a moot point since he’s in Indy now.

Frenbar and matt robinson 17 like this.
  17. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

In a draft with potentially up to 5 QB's considered worthy of a day one pick I don't see hwo the Jets can come away from that with Sam Darnold as the Primary option.

Sure I can see that we don't NEED to trade him and he can continue doing his thing until our new rookie is ready but then you have to ask yourself do we want to add a veteran to the QB room or keep Morgan around making Sam the 'teacher' for our new guy.

18. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I would draft edge early this year and maybe one next year too. Edge is valuable enough that multiple swings is a good idea to me.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Do the Jets not use him as a resource?!

Nick lives 10 minutes away from Jets HQ.

20. NCJetsfan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.