Darnold, Fields, Wilson, Jones, Trask, Lance

Discussion in 'Draft' started by NOVAJET, Dec 28, 2020.

?

Fields, Wilson or Darnold

1. Fields

22.0%
  2. Wilson

26.3%
  3. Darnold

31.7%
  4. Other - Explain

10.8%
  5. Watson: 3 1st's

9.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think it actually is evaluated a lot better by teams than it is by guys like all of us. I mean I watch college football religiously during the season and watch some tape after the year leading up to the draft as I'm sure a ton of you guys do too.

But I think we'd all obviously have a much better grasp on this stuff if we spent nine hours a day locked in Florham Park scrutinizing each game for a living (with our livelihoods on the line if there's a failure). I just don't think there's always a number or any sort of metrics or analytics tied to it because nearly every throw is somewhat different especially when the defense is factored in.

And I think that bothers people sometimes in trying to always attach a number or metric to things.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Except lance hasn't played a lot of at all in the last year. Add on a year to sit (I always like this approach anyway) I think it's hard to pull at #2.

His pro day will mean a lot for him, and I know he's been able to sit with with a pro style QB coach this season which may help him.

I hope he looks great on his pro day!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well for once we agree.:p But while I'm sure the professionals do a MUCH better job, especially in that aspect, most of them still don't do it very well IMO...certainly the Jets haven't. This off season will be very telling as to whether JD has a good grasp of this critical aspect of team building.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Well, put me down as a dumbass who thinks JD will get MORE than a 2nd or low 1st for Sam. It may take a season to bear fruit, as the draft picks will be conditional.

One condition may be on Sam signing a long term deal, like with Leonard Williams and the Giants. This is less likely since the new team can sign up for Sam's 5th year and take it from there, however the new team might want to do what some on here have been talking about and ask Sam to sign a 2-3 yr extension. If he does, the pick bumps up a notch.

A Second condition may be on playtime and success, like 70% of the snaps and/or making the POs. This is the condition which, if met, will bump the whole deal to levels no one thought possible.

5. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

I’m at the point where I feel like we should just draft Sewell and give Darnold another year. If we suck again, just draft a QB next draft.

barfolomew likes this.
  6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Way ahead of you.

7. Footballgod214

You'd have me on ignore if not for the head shakes, eye rolls, and chuckles I bring to your abyzmul life on a daily basis. Say it.

abyzmul likes this.
  8. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I think it's more so he can keep seeing the hottie in your profile pic

9. Footballgod214

But I still say I was right about trading our entire '13 draft to Cleveland. But maybe you were right. God only knows where our franchise would be without Aboushi, Geno Smith, and Dee Milner.

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Lance to me is Allen like prospect. Actually better as a prospect than Allen. The thing is, Allen had to beat MAJOR odds to get where he is at. Beautiful and powerful arm, very athletic, but just wasn't a good enough player ... until he was. He got no offers initially, then went to Juco due to family connection to assistant coach there. Then tried to transfer to FBS, got only one offer from small school in Wyoming. Went there and had an injury and was out all year. Won starting job next year and had two pretty pedestrian seasons. He was drafted on potential and the fact he was working harder than anyone else (the later attribute is not unlike that of Wilson). Two subpair seasons in NFL followed, and finally last year he had Pro Bowl season. Jury is still out if he can keep this up, but while literally armed with great talent, he beat MAJOR odds all his career.

Allen's great story is that of an underdog, and Lance has a beautiful arm as well, athletic, and is ahead of where Allen was at this age. However, that does not mean he will beat the odds. He simply hasn't shown enough. Allen stayed back after his first season as a starter in Wyoming, Lance is declaring right away. And just like someone took a chance on Allen, teams should take a chance on Trey at top 10. But arm talent and QB talent is more than arm strength. Otherwise Lance and Allen would get P5 offers from the get go. Make no mistake, this is another underdog story of a guy with big arm, and a lot of unknowns, who is a MUCH bigger gamble than guys like Zach and Fields, who proved themselves in FBS, and whose arm is plenty powerful as well.

11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Once thing I will say is that now teams might actually make a real offer for Sam. The major dominoes have fallen (yes, I know Watson is still out, but Texans seem to be dead set on not talking to anyone). I think that offer will be 3d rounder, and possibly second (perhaps conditional), but at the very least I can see how teams would be willing to make some sort of real offer, now that Wentz is out of the picture.

barfolomew likes this.
  12. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You are definitely the least frustrating troll on the forum.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Getting a topnotch QB isn't that simple as just drafting one next year. If JD even just uses all the draft picks we have to build the team plus FA, the team should be a LOT better this upcoming season. We could finish 7-9, 8-8, or maybe even 9-7. That would have us drafting in the teens or maybe even low 20s. That is not going to get you a quality QB prospect, and you're not going to be able to trade up for a top QB prospect from that far back. The cost would be astronomical.

Right now we are sitting at #2 and wouldn't have to waste a single draft pick trading up to take a QB. That doesn't even take into consideration that this is a great QB draft class, and next year's is not going to be anywhere near as good.

Drafting Sewell at #2 would be dumb. To begin with, some of the "experts" think Slater is better. Darrisaw is not far behind either. The Jets wouldn't be able to afford to pay both Becton and Sewell in 4-5 years, or it would be very difficult and they'd wind up having to cut other players. #2 is too high to take a RT. We could trade down to #11 or #12, get extra picks and still probably get one of Slater or Darrisaw if JD thinks we have to get a RT this year. I think that would be a foolish waste of draft capital. Fant was pretty good. We could ride with him for another year or two, and/or draft a RT maybe even in the 2nd or 3rd round or next year.

When one is drafting at #2 one needs to get a QB or an elite playmaker if one doesn't have an LT, and we have one. If anything, JD should take Chase or maybe Parsons at #2 if he's not going to take a QB. If he's not going to take a QB, then he should trade down, garner additional picks and then take whatever player or position he wants to address.

Taking Sewell at #2 would be the worst possible things JD could do.

#2333 NCJetsfan, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    REVISion, Borat and HomeoftheJets like this.
  14. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

I think Justin Fields is this year's Josh Rosen. I read the scouting reports on him from Bucky Brooks and wonder if we are talking about the same player.

15. Jonathan_Vilma

Funny thing about a lot of our mid-round offensive line selections that we tossed away like Aboushi is that they all went on to continue at least being NFL depth players for the most part, with some as starters like Dozier and Shell and Ducasse and Aboushi at depth.

Not to say they're world beaters but our offensive line would've at least been deeper over the long haul if we developed such players.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

How is Fields like Rosen?

17. Jonathan_Vilma

I was wondering this myself. At the very least, Fields' athleticism and intangibles will get him on the field for a couple years. Intangibles mean less if the performance doesn't match up with them so he could of course inevitably bust.

But they're two extremely different players at least from my perspective.

18. Footballgod214

Add Winters. We cut him, so he goes on to start for the Bills.

Bellys Lies and BacktoQueens like this.
  19. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

They aren't similar as far as how they play.

I think Fields was annointed early like Rosen several years before the draft. And I believe Fields is the player most likely to bust if he goes top ten.

I just saw Bucky Brooks say Fields was a 5 star recruit out of high school.

Who cares. Evaluate what they are now.

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

You can also include Winters, who is better than any G we had playing this season.
    Slauson is another example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.