Multiple teams have called about Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

That is such a backwards takeaway. There are very few successful QB’s in the league period, but among those that are, a very small percentage are under prototypical size. Nearly all successful QB’s over the last 20 years have been 6’2” or taller, more taller than not. Most of the QB’s who have entered the league in the last 10 years and been successful have had very good athleticism as well.

To return to Minshew, he doesn’t even have the physical gifts of the other shorter guys like Mayfield, Murray, Wilson and Brees.

2. MaximusD163

I’m not sure how much stock I put in PFT but I am definitely hoping the Bears overpay. They would be the most likely to throw down high picks, because they are are in the most difficult position. Picking 20 is too late to try and trade up for a quality rookie, but Nagy and Pace are both on the hot seat. I’m surprised they were able to come back another year, but now they really have no choice but to make a big move if they want to save their jobs. Darnold is really the last option with high quality talent for them, otherwise they’re looking at Winston or Mariota or Fitzpatrick.

3. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

If the trade was #20 for Darnold and #90 then I might be interested

REVISion and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I would do that. Not sure why others wouldn't. Even if there is a decent market for Sam, I doubt it's some sort of endless market where every team is in on it. There's maybe 4-5 teams.

If someone offers you $150k for a 2005 Ford Taurus, do you turn it down and hope someone will give you $200k for it in a week?

5. Jonathan_Vilma

How is Darnold any more desirable than Winston or Mariota? Both have flaws but they also have some NFL success in their history even if slightly older. They both also just spent time in good NFL offenses with good coaches and quarterbacks in front of them (even if I think Gruden is a bit overrated as an offensive mind). Mariota also likely comes cheaper.

matt robinson 17, K'OB and REVISion like this.
  6. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

I think it comes down to ceiling, Darnold at 23 is still thought by some to have a high ceiling. NFL teams could be higher on him vs fans/media.

Nick Mangold said as much in
    an interview in the last day... would like to see the Jets keep/build with Darnold. Nick is no dummy.

7. SoylentGreen

Here’s the Mangold interview btw - such a good dude.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

From what I just listened to, he wasn't pounding the table for them to keep Darnold. He did say Darnold wasn't given a fair shake (true) and that he'd like to see what Darnold could do with protection and weapons... but he was mostly non-committal about what he wanted them to do and said he was sitting back like the fans because he didn't know the current state of things with the team.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Yes of course. And while they'll both be 28 to Darnold's 24 next season, they were both highly rated prospects with much more NFL success and are realistically in their prime.

Ceilings do matter though, you're right.

10. SoylentGreen

Nick is a very smart guy + is not going to say too much one way or the other as to alienate himself with this Jets administration...

Last 30 seconds he says the jury is still out on Darnold, did not feel he got a fair shake and his last line was, he hopes Joe Douglas focuses on the players and team vs the rumblings of fans/media.

You can take it however you want I guess, but my take is he feels the Jets should stick with Darnold.

Personally, I’m ready to move on with Wilson at pick 2, but I do think Mangold is a smart dude.

11. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Is he currently working as a scout or a talent evaluator in the NFL? I know he's not a GM. I think whatever he has to say carries about as much weight as some of the posters in this forum. He did play center for Mark Sanchez so I'm sure any dude with two arms, two legs and a heartbeat looks like Aaron Rodgers to him.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    3 realistic Sam Darnold trades the Jets should make
    Cole Thompson

The New York Jets could be interested in trading Sam Darnold, but what is his value on the market?

[​IMG]© Provided by Fansided
    The New York Jets are in a bind this offseason. Actually, they aren't, but they'll drag this out for as long as possible.

The addition of a new coaching staff means Sam Darnold's time in the Big Apple could be up. Robert Saleh, Mike LaFleur and general manager Joe Douglas did not draft the former No. 3 overall pick. Therefore, they have no allegiance to keep him.

So, what does all this mean for Darnold?

The former USC quarterback is coming off a career-worst year in which he finished 2-10 as the starter and threw nine touchdowns against 11 interceptions. He's 13-25 all-time, but two of those seasons were beyond lost in the Adam Gase era. Are the flashes just flashes or proof of what he can do with a competent offense?

Carson Wentz's trade to Indianapolis lowered the price, but the Jets still could garner something on the open market. These three trade deals are likely what would be offered for Darnold's services.

Three possible trades for Sam Darnold

3. Panthers upgrade from Teddy Bridgewater

Jets Get
    Pick No. 73
    2022 fourth-round pick
    Panthers Get
    QB Sam Darnold
    2021 seventh-round pick
    This one feels the least likely, but also not far out of the realm of possibility. The Carolina Panthers are certainly in the process of upgrading under center following owner David Tepper's comments on "winning with the right quarterback" for the future.

Naturally, the plan right now is to go all-in on Deshaun Watson, whom the Houston Texans will consider trading for the right price. That's going to be multiple first-round picks and perhaps a proven player or two. Is that worth Watson?

In the draft, the Panthers could hope Ohio State's Justin Fields falls or North Dakota State's Trey Lance loses interest around the team to land at the No. 8 spot. If not, Carolina likely is moving up into the top five by trading away two firsts and a third for unproven talent.

Carolina needs help on the offensive line and in the secondary. Darnold in Joe Brady's system might help the Panthers' offense reach new heights with the wide receivers and the run game in place. Best of all, Carolina would keep both their early selections to fix more pressing needs to contend in 2021.

Is it a reach? For sure. Is it impossible as a consolation prize? Nope.

Next: No. 2
    Photo by Stephen Maturen/Getty Images

2. Bears bite on trade rumors
    Jets Get
    Pick No. 52
    2022 fifth-round pick
    Bears Get
    QB Sam Darnold
    2022 seventh-round pick
    This is what the actual asking price should be for Darnold. According to reports from SNY's Ralph Vacchiano, the starting price for Darnold would be at least one second-round pick. That could be somewhat fair since his $4.77 million salary cap hit is third-lowest among starting quarterbacks.

The Chicago Bears have to swing big this offseason. Matt Nagy's innovated offense was supposed to carry Chicago on a track to light speed success. Instead, their light is dwindling rather than speeding up. Mitchell Trubisky could have been brought back for another season if Nagy had been fired.

Nope. Now they need an upgrade under center.

Chicago cannot afford to give up the 20th selection with needs on the offensive line. The receiver class, though, is deep enough for Ryan Pace to add a talent late day 2 or early day 3 in preparation to pair with hopefully Allen Robinson and rookie standout Darnell Mooney.

Best-case scenario? Darnold thrives with Nagy and John DeFilippo to propel Chicago into the postseason for the third time in four years. Worst-case? It's a whole new staff in 2021 and the team is out under $5 million.

Next: No. 1
    Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images

1. Washington wants to win now
    Jets Get
    Pick No. 51
    2022 sixth-round pick
    Football Team Get
    QB Sam Darnold
    2022 seventh-round pick
    If the Jets are moving off Darnold, so be it. Let's not act as if they didn't fail him as much as he failed to produce a winning culture for Gang Green. But again, there's so much potential for a high-end, middle-tier starter with Darnold that a team is going to give him a shot.

Washington offers that best chance.

The Football Team might be getting a new name, but they'll be adding talent to pair with Terry McLaurin at wide receiver. A top-10 franchise in salary cap space this offseason, Ron Rivera is a perfect player's coach, meaning veterans might be willing to take a slight pay cut to work with one of the best at utilizing lesser talent.

The NFC East as a whole is Washington's for the taking. All they need is a quarterback.

Should WFT throw in a late-round pick that could expand higher in 2022, this should get the deal done. Washington is either going to overpay for a proven veteran, trade plenty of draft capital to move up for an unproven talent or run it back with Taylor Heinicke and Alex Smith rotating.

All three a terrible options.

Martin Mayhew understands the value of a quarterback. He also values draft picks. This is a win both ways — for Washington and their hopeful short rebuilding future and for Darnold starting fresh.

Bellys Lies likes this.
  13. SoylentGreen

In the context of knowing what JD will actually do, 100% agree... Nick’s opinion means nothing.

But his opinion itself is more valuable (I didn’t say correct) then media/fans. He’s done the job, we haven’t...

14. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He played center. Theismann played QB and prefers Zach Wilson over Lawrence. In other words, I don't think that being a former player automatically makes you an expert talent evaluator.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  15. SoylentGreen

I posted because Nick Mangold is a smart guy, was a Jet within the last 5 years, see’s these guys first hand in practice, knows Darnold, coaches, active players... he’s still looped in + his opinion vs an ex-Qb like Theismann who hasn’t played in 35 years and fans like yourself means more to me. No offense.

Again I’m not saying we keep Darnold myself, but I listen to everything and in general it’s worked out for me as when things unfold, I’m rarely surprised or caught off guard.

If we only posted based on what active NFL scouts were saying, we’d have no posts on this forum.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, I would want at least a 2nd for Darnold, and second, there's no way I'm giving up anything additional in these scenarios. MAYBE I'd throw in a lower round (4th?) in order to get a 1st for him, but the above scenarios are basically just giving him away. No thanks.

17. MaximusD163

Darnold is cheaper on the cap than Mariota, and probably won’t cost that much more in picks. Winston, why would you want him? The Bucs let him walk for nothing, and the Saints didn’t even give him a start. He accepted a $1 million deal as a QB, that should tell you everything you need to know about how desirable he is

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. Footballgod214

Yeah I agree. I really don't see Joe Douglas trading Sam for anything LESS than a high 2 or a low 1. Joe would probably keep Sam around if the only offer he gets is a 3 or lower. Sam has value to the Jets, even if we draft Wilson #2. A rookie QB could benefit greatly sitting for a season. Sam would be a pretty cheap 'vet'. And who know...if JD keeps Sam for 2021 and Sam lights it up in the new offense with a better oline, RB, and WRs, JD can offer Sam a nice contract and trade whatever rookie he drafted this year!

Jets79 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  19. twown

twown Well-Known Member

If the rumor is true that the Jets are committed to moving on from Sam, this doesn't say much about Sam. It just means the Jets are becoming convinced Wilson is truly worth the #2 pick.

In which case we'd likely be willing to bend during Sam trade negotiations. They might decide to take a high third just to get Sam off the books and clarify the QB situation.

Then draft Wilson and lean toward starting Flacco to begin the season, unless 1) the OL looks like a finished product and 2) Wilson is clearly ready.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  20. Footballgod214

If (when?) JD trades Sam, it's gonna be tough to grade the trade. Kind of like a draft pick. We almost have to let Sam play out a season (or 2) to see how good he gets before we can say who won.

If Sam blows chunks on his new team, we can say JD robbed them no matter what he got for Sam, hahaha buyer be ware. But if in 2-3 years Sam looks like a FQB, it will be JD who got robbed, no matter what he got for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.