Multiple teams have called about Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BudJet, Feb 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

The Bears have 6 picks in this draft but 2 of them in the 7th rd. Thus they are probably going to be very tight with their first 3 picks, one in each first 3 RDS I doubt they’ll give up a number one pick, #20th pick for Darnold. Would a 2nd rd plus next years 3rd Rd pick be adequate?

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

IND, CHI, NO, WAS, and NE were all teams that literally lack a QB, and all but NE pick 19 or later. PIT and SF both want upgrade or cheaper at least. CAR wants upgrade, they don’t care about cheaper.

In the Wentz sweepstakes NO was out, as they can’t afford his incoming cap hit, and WAS was out as they were in the same division. Wentz does not fit the cheaper option for SF or PIT. New England has a high enough 1st round pick that they could still try and go for a QB in the draft. CAR wants more of a sure upgrade.

When it comes to Darnold, there are more teams in play than for Wentz because Darnold is so much cheaper. NO, WAS and CHI have no one, and will be looking at guys like Winston, Mariota or Fitzpatrick if they can’t get Darnold. SF and PIT could be in play because Darnold is cheap enough that it allows them to keep more of their team together this year. I don’t see CAR going after Darnold and NE isn’t an option.

Wentz was only ever CHI or IND, and for Darnold I’m not saying they will all be in but at least they could be:
    WAS, CHI, NO, PIT, SF

Just to point out how different the market for Wentz and Darnold will be.

3. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

What would you say if I told you there was a quarterback available with two years on his rookie contract who's thrown 37 touchdowns to 11 interceptions for a passer rating of 93.1 despite a bad supporting cast and bad coaching? Surely that quarterback would be worth significantly more than Darnold?

REVISion likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

We were never going to get a haul for Darnold.

A late 1st on the other hand has been a possibility for awhile, particularly if we agree to take a bad contract also.

5. Br4d

I had to correct you there. :)

SoylentGreen likes this.
  6. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Never said it wasn't still a good class. People were saying its the best since 83, maybe the best ever, never to be repeated. Those people are saying this class might be better now. I didn't believe it in 2018 and I don't believe it now.

7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Well I would say that Minshew doesn’t have the size, arm talent, athleticism, or pedigree that Darnold does, and traits are an important factor. I’d also say that he may not be available either. If I were Jacksonville I’d keep Minshew for 2021 at least.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

FBG has always been at least half troll. Not sure if you remember, but I think it started when people made fun of his girlfriend's cottage cheese butt from his avatar a long ass time ago.

#668 abyzmul, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Footballgod214 likes this.
  9. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There's no correlation between size and NFL success, Darnold's arm and athleticism aren't that great (he isn't Mahomes or Allen), and teams make mistakes when evaluating quarterbacks all the time. Given Darnold's been in the NFL for three years now, he's going to have a hard time ever reaching Minshew's level, not even considering that Minshew could also improve. But I agree Minshew may not be available this offseason.

REVISion and matt robinson 17 like this.
  10. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

One thing that people still fail into account.

NFL front offices and coaches are notoriously stubborn and regard themselves with incredibly inflated egos.

Darnold was the concencus #1 QB in a draft 3 years ago, and was offered nothing but crap coaching and support from the Jets.

It's this that will bring the price up, along with his age and contract, especially for teams that will miss the QBs in the draft this year.

These teams are not off the Sam train like a lot of jets fans are, and believe they can turn him into the player we don't think he'll be.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails and zace like this.
  11. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Wentz has one good year. That's it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

What if I told you there was a Qb who went from

58%
    20 tds
    9 int
    3300 yards

To

68%
    42 tds
    11 int
    5300 yards

This Qb has always had a better coach, better system and team around him than Darnold. They are actually trained by the same Qb guru, who always felt Darnold was better and would take his place as one of the best in the NFL.

The Jets were (are?) a mess, once you come to grips with that, you can start to look at the Darnold situation the way other teams are looking at it.

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  13. Br4d

Darnold was not the #1 consensus QB in the 2018 draft. He was the #1 consensus prospect in 2017 of the QB's that might commit in 2018.

By 2018 there were a handful of guys nobody could agree on. Just like there are this year after Lawrence is off the board.

K'OB, Jonathan_Vilma and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It shows a huge upward trend of improvement especially if you factor in his rookie year. And don't forget the ground element to his game.

Allen has at least two elite characteristics to his game that make him the player he is - pure arm strength and an elite ability to throw on the move (particularly when he moves to his right). That doesn't include any potential intangibles but I don't know if he's said to have those so I'm not going to speculate. Not to mention his size.

Which elite characteristics do you think Darnold has?

REVISion likes this.
  15. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Huh? He's had two extremely good years, one down year last year in comparison, a decent enough rookie year and one horrible year.

Let's not have recency bias - Carson Wentz as a whole has been a pretty good quarterback in the league. And there's a mixed bag of reasons as to why he may have struggled last year (including in large part his own issues with holding the ball forever).

#675 Jonathan_Vilma, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    REVISion likes this.
  16. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

He had a promising Rookie season full of the usual rookie errors but he showed enough and was superior to SD's rookie year, 2017 was the MVP convo year, 2018 was statistically better in some categories but down on overall TD's, 2019 picked up the TD rate but the completion rate dropped and ofc 2020 was s shitshow (alebit about the same as SD's peak year of 2019).

So one very good year (basically anything better then what a Jet's QB since Namath has managed), two good years (peak Fitzmagic!) and one Sam Darnold year.

If you have a team with an 2-3 year window open then you take Wentz. If you are in cap hell and way back in the draft then you might consider Darnold or Trubisky.

17. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Nah dude, he had one good year. Thats it. Ok rookie season but essentially one good year. Thats it. Trust me, most eagles fans are glad to see him go and ive seen enough of their games to agree. Hes not shown to be that good.

18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Don't make me change my ava

abyzmul likes this.
  19. zace

zace Well-Known Member

His accuracy is still a miss. Thats his biggest issue. That's something that i dunno can be fix so easily.

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Wentz was a disaster and has some growing up to do. However, I do think landing in sleepy Indy with Frank Reich is about the best thing that could ever happen to him

ColoradoContrails and zace like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.