Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well you might be right, trading back and still picking up starting caliber OL and an additional weapon or two would be ideal, and maybe that's what Douglas will do, but it wouldn't shock me at all if he grabs a potential All Pro T to pair up with Becton. He's a "can't miss" as any prospect there is, including Lawrence, and if they added another OL or two from FA, they'd instantly transform the OL from barely mediocre to very good.

All that said though I hope he uses the #2 on a QB - Wilson is my 1st choice, but Fields and Lance are good possibilities also, and maybe even grabbing Jones with the #23 if he lasts that long.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  2. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

I'm totally out on any plan involving taking Sewell at #2. We all know Sam was bad even from a clean pocket this year. Not just bad, worst in the league by a considerable margin. I just can't see the value in taking a RT with the #2 overall pick. Not to mention all the headaches it would cause with Becton or Sewell being upset that they're being forced to play out of position. We know that Becton's OL coach has already said he wouldn't move him to RT and I doubt Sewell would want to either given how highly he's rated as a LT.

On top of that, as others have pointed out, we have holes in tons of spots. If we don't take a QB at #2 it would make much more sense to trade back and get a different RT plus a WR or RB as well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Yes, because what the dysfunctional Browns did makes him an idiot. He worked for Bill Walsh, Al Davis, Bill Belich*ck, and had a position in the NFL for over 30 years. Here's one quote about him, "Mike's...one of the smartest people I've worked with. He was huge asset to me for the two years he was here...he studies football and he knows it very well."

But yep, NCJetsfan on TGG says he's an idiot so disregard anything Lombardi says.

Oh, and he was with the Browns less than a year, a year where the head coach was chosen before him and he had maybe a month to prepare for the draft.

Ptflea2, themorey and BrowningNagle like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with everything except taking Jones at #23. I have zero interest in taking an immobile QB, especially one who played at Alabama and was so surrounded with great talent that it's hard to accurately assess him.

WoodyHarrelson likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Picking up Darnold's 5th year option is $25 million. Just heard that today

Yeah, no thanks

REVISion likes this.
  6. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

What if we restructure him somehow and sign him to a 2 year 10 mm extension or something?

Footballgod214 likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Why would he do that? He has more to gain testing the open market and potentially getting a bigger deal as a backup elsewhere or even a starter at $5 million per year.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don't think Jones will get past New England at 15 assuming they don't make a move for a QB in free agency or trade for someone like Mariota.

Jones is such a hard player to project given his success at Alabama largely being tied to the best supporting cast outside of LSU in recent memory. And his line was better than Burrow's was on top of his lack of mobility.

BrowningNagle and Losmeister like this.
  9. BrowningNagle

It would be a time to 'buy low' if you believe in him for sure. Could get him on a discount.

I think Darnold's agent would advise against it though and I know most players they like to bet on themselves. Darnold is probably like most players and wants to try and earn a bigger contract

10. Jets1035

Jets1035 Active Member

I’m for keeping Sam and trading back for more picks. Bolster the OL and give Sam some competent coaching. Sign a veteran backup.
    (maybe bring back Flacco)If he doesn’t work out, there is always next years draft

barfolomew likes this.
  11. Losmeister

Losmeister Well-Known Member

every other day this thread expands my ignore list...

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Lombardi has had plenty of head scratching takes since his time with the Browns. He's been a bad take machine during his time in the media.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

do you do anything besides bitch about other posters though?

14. BrowningNagle

Interesting point about Burrow. He played on a stacked team and yet he was still the consensus top prospect, but a year later Mac Jones gets dinged for playing on a stacked team.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Mac Jones goes to a stable organization and ends up being the best pro QB of this draft class

barfolomew and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I would. The class includes Trevor Lawrence! And Zach Wilson. And Justin Fields. And Trey Lance. If Jones ends up being the best of them, it would literally be shocking. :D

I'm still not sold he can even be a starter in the NFL.

NCJetsfan, REVISion and BrowningNagle like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

ur probably right but I am operating under the assumption that Lawrence will bust (because I have sour grapes), whoever the Jets draft will bust (because they always do). So that alone erases 2 from your list. Then you have to figure the Detroit Lions will take 1 of them and thats an automatic bust too :D

17. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Sometimes in life, it is just better to move on. Sam Darnold is one of those times. He was inaccurate in college and he's inaccurate in the NFL. Did any of you watch him in college? He's the same player now as he was back then. Why would a new coach be any different? Sam would need an all-pro offensive line, all-pro WR's, a great TE, RB, and a defense that holds teams to under 30 points in order for Sam to consistently win games.

18. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He makes angry posts about Darnold, that's about it. Usually I don't use the ignore function because you get a bunch of people replying to ignored posts and it makes a thread a big mess. I tested it out with this guy and he disappeared completely with no effect to any thread, because he adds nothing to the forum so nobody actually acknowledges his existence. Yours is the first reply to a post of his I've noticed since I did it.

He's the Poster That Wasn't There.

Ptflea2, Pepsiguy5, Ralebird and 4 others like this.
  19. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Wentz traded to colts fyi

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

For what it's worth:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.