Deshaun Watson Mega Thread (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Feb 5, 2021.

?

What would you give up for Watson?

1. #2 pick in 2021 Draft Only

7.9%
  2. #2 pick plus another 1st Rounder

24.6%
  3. #2 pick plus 2 other 1st Rounders

34.1%
  4. #2 pick plus 3 other 1st Rounders

5.6%
  5. To Hell with Watson. Stay put

27.8%
  1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Lol exactly. I was a little hyperbolic. But the 2000 Ravens and 2002 Bucs had probaly 2 or 3 HoFs each and maybe another 2-3 All Pros.

Off the top of my head Ravens had Lewis and Woodson (HoF) and Adams, Burnett and Boulware (AP)

Bucs had Sapp and Brooks (HoF) and Barber, Rice and Lynch (AP).

Damn, I'm sure I'm missing some also imagine half your defense being All Pro calibre players lol. I love reminding people of this when they say "Brad Johnson won a super bowl".

NCJetsfan and barfolomew like this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

They don’t need a bidding war to get what they want for Watson. He’s an absolutely elite QB that a team will be willing to pay the Texans demand for whether there are 10 other teams or it is just them that wants him. The Texans have already set the price high; now they only need one team that bites. And that team isn’t going to risk not getting Watson by trying to lowball the Texans under the guise that the Texans have no other trade options available.

if the one team that wants Watson wants him more than the Texans want to trade him, every other team in the NFL becomes absolutely irrelevant.

3. Lon Chaney

Just to be clear, I'm on record stating the Jets should give up whatever it takes to get Watson.

Having said that, you're right in a sense. It only takes one team to give in to what Houston wants. But it still makes no sense to eliminate would-be suitors by waiting until after free agency/trade season starts. It's bad business. Unless they aren't planning on trading him and then some team blows then out of the water in April. I don't see any advantage in it.

NCJetsfan and JetBlue like this.
  4. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don’t mean to insinuate that they would sabotage the discussions; I just think waiting helps the Texans because it forces a team that wants Watson, and is willing to meet their demands, to do so because waiting creates the perception that they will not trade him. If a team wants Watson the worst thing for them is that they think the Texans aren’t willing to trade him if they don’t meet the price.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  5. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Sorry, 5-11 isn’t impressive. That team was not a 1 win team talent wise, they have a lot of talent offensively. Bridgewater just isn’t good.

6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

To all those who voted To Hell with Watson: You wouldn’t trade the #2 pick straight up for Watson? Not even sure how that’s a position someone could take.

apjbfc, Lon Chaney, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Where did I say it was impressive? You're way overreacting. Yes, they have a lot of offensive talent, but defensively not so much.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

...but if Douglas HAD drafted Wirfs, he could now draft Penei Sowell for the left side and we'd have the NFL's top anchors for a decade+.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  9. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

But here in bizarro world, if Douglas drafted Wirfs, he couldn't be given any credit because there's no way to know if he would have rather drafted Andrew Thomas.

#289 chad2coles, Feb 17, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    NCJetsfan and Footballgod214 like this.
  10. chad2coles

chad2coles Well-Known Member

I think there is a balance to this. If a team is close to the Texans’s ask, and they dont take the deal, they risk that team moving on. Unless their new gm/coach really are prepared to have Watson sit and add zero talent to their roster through the draft/free agency.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Lon Chaney

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I’m sure I’m not the only one who got that alert open Watson being open to other teams because trading for him might limit the Jets ability to build a roster around him. Who came up with that rumor, someone from TGG? Patently false, but if Watson does actually believe that then maybe he shouldn’t have ever been consulted with front office matters.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The guy has the second largest contract in the NFL right now.

Really.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

And if we had drafted Ed Reed, maybe we have home field advantage with his nine interceptions and All-Pro year and ultimately end up in the Super Bowl.

REVISion likes this.
  15. BroadwayAaron

And would count only $10 mil against the cap this year. Still a no brainer trade if you can keep one of 23 or 34.

16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing when I read it.

The bigger concern is how he even thinks that is the case when evaluating our picks and cap. Does he not realize the capital we have?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The guy has the largest contract in the NFL from 2022-2024.

18. BroadwayAaron

He’d have cap hits around $35 mil for the two years after this one. That puts him right with Mahomes and Wilson, which is where he should be.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  19. BroadwayAaron

It’s so clearly just spin from someone because no one actually thinks we wouldn’t be able to build a team with the money we have and the picks we’d still have.

Lon Chaney likes this.
  20. BroadwayAaron

This thread lays out pretty specifically why claiming the Jets can’t build around Watson if they trade a bunch of picks for him is stupid. (open in Twitter and read the full thread)

#300 BroadwayAaron, Feb 18, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    chad2coles and Falco21 like this.